Maximizes the draw distances of space structures, asteroids, and effects. It also ensures the best possible level of detail is shown for these entities at any distance.
By default in Freelancer, most entities in space can only be seen from a very close distance. Hence structures like trade lanes, bases, jumpholes, and more would not be visible from over 20K away. Structures like large space stations and jumpgates are visible from great distances, but only in a low quality and blocky state. This has been rectified with the Freelancer maximized distances addon, as it allows players to see all space structures from up to 999.999K away in the best possible quality. Additionally, the effect draw distances have also been increased, allowing you to see projectiles, jump holes and other ship's engines from much farther away.
Since this modification only changes visual aspects of the game, you are allowed to use it on vanilla servers that tolerate the use of visual mods. But please, make sure you ask your server owner first, as some may consider this cheating.
All files from this addon may be freely used by any mod or anything else. See the license file for more information.
View the GitHub page for more information
Imgur album with screenshots
Before and after screenshot comparisons (view in full-screen)
- Add No-CD executable
- Fix issue with low quality textures on some graphics cards
- Remove the game's default limit of drawing bases and ships beyond a certain distance
- Set the poly flipping distance to 40K
- Set the draw distances and maximum detail levels of characters to 999.999M
- Set the draw distances and maximum detail levels of equipment to 999.999K
- Set the draw distances and maximum detail levels of effects to 999.999K
- Set the draw distances and maximum detail levels of ships to 999.999K
- Set the draw distances and maximum detail levels of space structures to 999.999K
- Multiply fill distances for regular asteroids by 2
- Multiply start distances for regular asteroid billboards by 2
- Multiply fill distances for asteroids inside nebulae by 1.2
- Multiply all pool sizes by 10
- Ensure planets are always rendered as perfect spheres
Freelancer Mod Manager v1.3
- Download the mod
- Open the .flmod file using Freelancer Mod Manager
- Install it like any other mod
- Download the mod
- Open the .flmod file using your favorite file archiver
- Extract the content to your Freelancer folder and make sure you allow all files to be overwritten