Here is a recent playable version of Die Trying! Instructions to play can be found in the description.
Connecting: Die Trying requires a minimum of two players
- Launch DieTrying3.exe
- One player click Host Game on the main menu (Local Network only, you can use a VPN or something like Hamachi to play with others online, I have done this successfully :D!)
- Get your IP address to give to others that want to play with you
- Open CMD prompt and run ipconfig,
- Locate your IPv4 address in the output log and give that to others
- If you want to play against yourself, you can launch the game twice and use localhost (127.0.0.1) in the IP box to connect with
- Up to 4 others can connect to the host by putting the hosts IPv4 address in the IP box on the main menu, and then clicking Join Game button
- Please have all players connect before anyone selects a character. If you do not, there may be an issue with the levers and walls resetting that I discovered just today.
How to play:
- When you enter the game, you will be presented with a character selection screen
- Select a character by pushing the number key on the keyboard associated with the character or use the mouse to click on a character
- Only one killer can be active at a time
- Only one of each survivor can be active at a time
- When 1 killer and 1 survivor are in the game, minimum, the survivor must move to each of the four switches and left click to activate the switches
- When all 4 switches are green, the gates will drop, releasing the killer and the survivors into the maze
- Some Killers have a heartbeat (Red Arrows)
- This heartbeat is played from the killers location on a regular interval.
- When their heart beats, the location of all survivors is temporarily revealed by means of red pointer arrows
- In some other designs I have, the heartbeat works differently. For instance, I want to make a character with a chainsaw, his special ability revs his chainsaw, and everyone can hear where he is, but he can rev it as much as he wants to find their locations.
- Survivors can hear the killers heart beat as he approaches! It is attenuated, so they won’t hear it well from very far away, but they will hear it as you get closer!
Survivors: WASD to move, Left click to activate levers. Press Space to toggle your flashlight on and off. While off, your HP bar is hidden from others, allowing you to try to sneak away from the killer.
Note: You do not need to click levers, just press the button while you are near one.
Killers: WASD to move, Left mouse button to attack, Spacebar for special ability
- If you are “Killer 1” (blue coveralls), hold Spacebar to turn into smoke, letting you pass through walls. Your “smoke remaining” is displayed as a purple bar beneath you character.
- If you are “Killer 2” (massive hammer), you do not have a special action, but your left click attacks will destroy almost all walls on contact
- If you are “Killer 3” (nice suit, nice smile!), hold left mouse button to perform an AOE around your character. Press Spacebar to split into two pieces. While split, you cannot attack, but you move through walls and you are invisible to survivors. Use WASD to control your left half, and move the mouse to control the right half. You can bring your left and right halves together and press space again to recombine, to continue attacking.
- If you are “Killer 4” (THE DRILLER KILLER!), hold down left mouse to drill your enemies, press Space when your green meter is full to drop a slowing ooze puddle. (Does not slow you)
Playing with a controller: The first version of gamepad support is available now. Left stick to move, A (bottom face button) to attack or interact with levers, X (left face button) to use a killers special ability, or toggle your flashlight as a survivor.
How to win: The killers and survivors have different win conditions
- As a Killer, eliminate all survivors to win. When the active number of survivors reaches 0, all players will return to character select
- As a Survivor, reach the south center of the maze. Here you will find an Exit. If one survivor escapes, all survivors win.
- Use the lever in the first section of the maze to pass to the second
- Use the second lever in the second section of the maze to enter the third section
- Activate two levers in the final section to open the escape door
- When power is restored to a section of the maze, the lights will come on, letting you know to look for the door to the next section
- Color coded lines on the ground will give you vague directions toward objectives on the map.
A game will not currently wait for all 5 players to connect, players have to communicate and coordinate for now.
More than 5 players can join a game - avoid this!
All characters can be played with a controller now, except Killer3 (ghost). The splitting mechanic will not currently work with a gamepad.
Character select must be done with the keyboard or mouse.
The maze currently does not regenerate if Killer2 destroys walls with his hammer. After an extensive game featuring Killer2, you might want to restart the server.
Killer1: May be seen bouncing up and down rapidly
Killer3: It is possible to get your visibility out of sync. Splitting and recombining again seems to fix it again.
Connected clients right halves move much slower than server hosts
Killer4: Acid Pools do not deal damage (Play testing to see if it needs it).
Acid Pools stacked on each other can cause unintended survivor slowing and speeding up.
Acid Pools will reveal survivors in the future, for now he just has a heartbeat
If you join a game in progress, you must wait for the round to finish before selecting a character. Character select will appear when the round completes. This may cause a desync in resetting the map for some players. (doors do not close, but can be walked through still, lights are not correctly switched on/off)