This mod uses resources from both HL2 and CS:S. These two games are combines to give you a unique experience.
CSS SCI FI is a single player modification for SMOD. Maps from Counter Strike: Source are used as the setting for intense Half-Life 2 "Counter Combine" action. CSS SCI FI mixes random generation of enemies and resources with map-specific scripting to create a fully realised and readily replayable game.
The latest CSS SCI FI 2.0 release contains scripts which enable SMOD to be used to play 12 custom maps, in addition to the 15 original Counter-Strike: Source maps. All custom maps are unmodified and installed to your Counter Strike: Source maps folder in their original state, including bot navs and author documentation. With one installation you can play each map in three ways: against humans online, against bots in Counter Strike: Source, or against HL2 AI in SMOD.
* 27 hand scripted maps. Over 8 hours of single player combat, and that's just to play each one once.
* Available in two versions: CSS SCI FI 1.5 which contains only the original Counter-Strike: Source maps, and CSS SCI FI 2.0, which adds 12 custom user made maps, including the popular DE_Nightfever and CS_Beirut_HDR. Custom maps are installed to the cstrike/maps folder so they can be played in Counter-Strike: Source or SMOD with no moving of files.
* Includes SMOD 39B2. No need for additional downloads.
* Includes the SMOD Configuration Utility, which provides clear descriptions of game options, including difficulty, screen effects, health regeneration, weapon inventory and a choice of allies with no hand editing of files.
Running the game
CSS SCI FI has been fully integrated into the main SMOD chapter menu. To play a map, start SMOD and then select "New Game". In CSS SCI FI 2.0, you will find all 27 CSS SCI FI maps in the new game chapter menu, followed by the Half Life 2 single player campaign. If you wish to play a Half-Life 2 single player campaign chapter which starts at a different point in the story, please run the SMOD Configuration Utility and choose the option to switch to the original HL2 chapter menu.
In CSS SCI FI 1.5, the 15 scripted Counter-Strike: Source maps are located after the single player campaign chapters.
These updates are included in the 1.5 and 2.0 versions.
* Included SMOD 39B2. Players now no longer need to download SMOD separately. SMOD 39B2 fixes all ladders and displacements.
* Improved Alyx's navigation. She and her team will now find the hostages in CS maps for you and will defend them until she dies.
* Improved Citizen allies. All citizen allies now spawn as medics or ammo resuppliers.
* Increased squad auto summon time to 3600 seconds. This enables the player to reliably leave hostages in safe positions.
* Reduced damage done by NPCs using the SVD sniper rifle.
* Added capacity to choose player allies and enemies which appear in each map.
* scripting changes to Militia, Nuke, Prodigy and Dust which improve gameplay and performance.
* Read more...
After you have completed installation, you are ready to play. If you would like to try a different configuration, simply run the SMOD Configuration Utility, which you will find in your SMOD directory and your start menu. Read more...
Between the Seven Hour War and the events of Half Life 2 and its sequels, remaining pockets of rebels carried out a series of attacks on Combine positions. Read more...
Frequently asked questions
1. Long initial loading times. This is normal and cannot be improved. Once the first map has loaded, subsequent loads will be faster.
2. It crashes/runs poorly. First, check Steam Support and the HL2 TweakGuide and ensure that you have performed all necessary maintenance to improve the performance of the game, including updating to the latest version of your graphics drivers. Most crashes relate to difficulties with system memory, so ensure you have plenty of RAM and that it is in good working order.