Arx Fatalis is eight years old, but that isn't stopping Arkane Studios from patching it. They released the 1.21 patch for it alongside source code on January 14 2011, so fans can get to modding.
The patch updates the game for Windows Vista and 7 stability, fixes HUD scaling, and fixes performance issues for NVIDIA users, among other things. For changelog see description.
Arx Fatalis v1.21
- Improved overall game stability under Microsoft Windows Vista & Windows 7.
- Fixed blinking effect that may happen when starting a new game.
- Fixed HUD scaling when display resolution is higher than 1024x960.
- Fixed EAX option: value is now saved when leaving the option menu.
- Fixed an issue with the game locking-up when opening player inventory.
- Fixed length of cinemascope bars displayed during cinematics.
- Fixed some performance issues with a few Nvidia GPU (see Notes).
- If you're game starts in windowed mode and you want fullscreen, simply go to cfg_default.ini file in the game folder, and change full_screen=0 to full_screen=1.
- If you experience in game framerate drops or stuttering, please give a try to the "Enable Rendering Fix" option in the Video settings.
- This patch will remain the very last Arx Fatalis update released by Arkane Studios. However, the whole source code of the game is now available for download, which means that numerous fan made updates/mods may be found around the Internet. Arkane Studios won't provide any kind of answer or support regarding community developed content.