Ab Urbe Condita VI is a marked improvement on Platinum, and includes major graphical updates, new scripts for AI funds, brand new log walls, improved textures, better/new UI cards, reskins and bugfixes. This version is also harder, and gives the player a much more rewarding challenge!
VI (v6) changes are as follows:
* Incorporated RSIII battlemap water textures; kept the original RSII terrain/trees due to personal preference and style. The new water is a MASSIVE improvement on the original, and complements the pre-existing battlemaps well.
* New custom logwalls added (the base courtesy of RedFox); Tier 2 walls and forts now contain towers and parapets which you or the AI can defend/attack (making forts that much more useful in defending a choke point or strategic region).
* New strat textures (based on Prometheus') for all ports; every culture (Roman/Eastern/Carthaginian/Egyptian/Greek/Barbarian) now has their own proper strat models, which complement the originals by Prometheus rather well.
* New AI scripts created in order to allow the AI to present a bigger challenge to the player. Accordingly, the starting budget has been cut drastically to accommodate this. The AI will now receive a cash boost when they run out
of funds. You should see peripheral factions like Baktria, Numidia, Thrace and Dacia expand a little bit more now!
* The Britons have been removed from Ireland; now they only own the 2 initial starter regions in England. Given the landbridge and new AI script I feel that starting territory is unnecessary, and may encourage the AI to expand
southwards into Gaul (or remain in Britannia!).
* Dun Ailinne is now a Rebel Village. Also expanded the size of Malta.
* Additional landbridges added to Arabia and the Chersonese; this will allow the Sabaean AI to potentially invade mainland Africa (or the other way round), as well as allow movement between Panticapaeum and Tanais in Scythia.
* Shiny new exe has replaced the original batch file; this hopefully circumvents the annoying "launch check" on Steam.
* Additional text fixes/campaign description improvements.
* Further additions to UI, in particular event messages.
* Removed an incorrect loading screen and replaced it with an alternative.
* Territory around Tomi cut slightly; now the provincial border runs directly along the Danube.
* Mercenary recruitment for Gordyene, Sophene and Aria fixed. These regions now recruit the correct units.
* Multiple unit fixes, including:-
- Additional pikemen skins; every Diadochi faction now has their own individual Machimoi, Kleruchoi and Pezhetairoi Pikemen skins.
- Huge new array of officers for the Eastern, Hellenistic, Barbarian and Semitic factions.
- New generals/lesser generals for Numidia and Spain, with accompanying strat models for the campaign map. Spain has been made more barbaric (in line with their Celtiberian roots) and now use barbarian generals.
- Auxiliary Cavalry face tearing glitch fixed.
- Parthian Noble Cataphracts removed as general_unit. This removes an old bug where both Noble Cataphracts and Generals Bodyguard units made Parthian generals. They are now a normal elite cavalry unit, and still recruitable!
- Roman Triarii now only use spears in combat (previous versions switched to swords, negating the spear bonuses). Also, Roman Auxilia have improved battlemap shields.
- New skins for Spanish Scortamareva (now spearmen, rather than javelinmen). To compensate, Scortamareva stats have been increased.
- Improperly aligned weapons fixed for Garamantine soldiers, with minor stat improvements.
- Cost changes for Scortamareva and Roman Auxilia.
- Longshield Cavalry removed from Spanish roster (to comply with their more "barbaric" roster). Only Numidia uses this unit now.
- Epirote Agema UI tweaked.
- Argive, Corinthian, Byzantine and Rhodian hoplite shield textures fixed.
- Decorative Feathers added to Seleucid Argyraspide helmets (Silver Shield Pikemen).
- Barbarian chariot textures finally fixed!
- New Noble Cavalry skins for Spain and Gaul.
- New General skin for Gaul and Britons (Briton skin is located in the optional download).
- Terrain around Rhodes lowered (now you can actually see the city on the campaign map).