This is an exhaustive, easy to install graphical overhaul mod for the Mass Effect Trilogy.
0. Install content mods before ALOT (eg DLC mods like EGM, Interface mod, Controller mod, etc).
1. Download the Installer from the downloads section, here on moddb. The textures themselves are located on Nexus, for ME1, ME2, ME3 (I don't have enough bandwidth to maintain 2 mirrors).
2. Follow the overly detailed installation tutorial available here. ALOT is now installed.
3. (Optional) Install any other texture mods you want, after ALOT, using the Installer.
To install TPF, DDS, MOD mods, simply run the Installer, drag & drop them on it, and click install. Make sure the user files box is checked.
If you have any issues or questions, first read the FAQ (see below) to see if it is already answered there. If it isn't, come over on Discord and discuss it with us. You can also join us there to talk about ALOT, modding, or whatever you want :).
1. Download the Installer from the downloads section, if you don't have it anymore. Run it. If you still have it, run it all the same, the Installer will auto update.
2. The Installer will tell you if an update is available and how to install it. If the major version of ALOT you have installed (e.g. 6.0) is different than the newest, you will have to restore your game first.
1. General Advice
2. Is ALOT compatible with [insert popular mod here] ?
There are no known incompatibilities with any other mods. Just make sure to install them in the correct order.
Install all content mods (eg SP Controller Support, EGM, ISM, etc) before ALOT.
Install all texture and meshes mods (ie TPF, DDS or MOD files) after ALOT, so they'll overwrite ALOT.
To install TPF, DDS, MOD mods, simply run the Installer, drag & drop them on it, and click install.
For more generic information about mod formats, read this article.
3. How do I make a backup ?
You can backup and restore your game from the Addon's interface. Look into the Settings menu. Your game needs to be unmodded.
4. Crashes, freezes
ALOT shouldn't cause any CTDs (Crash to Desktop). However, here are a few workarounds for crashes encountered by users.
5. Adding DLCs after the installation
If you install a DLC after having installed ALOT, it is likely you will break the game. You have to vanilla your game completely, then redo the installation with your new DLC installed.
6. MEM versus Texmod
Texmod loads all the textures directly in your RAM, whereas MEM replaces the textures directly in the main game. So, with Texmod, you get a veeery long initial loading screen (30mn+ depending on your HDD and amount of mods). You're also limited to 4 GB of mods. With MEM , you shouldn't experience loading screens longer than a few minutes, at most : the game only loads the textures needed for the level you are entering, not the whole game.
7. MEM versus ME3Explorer
MEM is a tool used to browse / modify textures and meshes. ME3Explorer is a toolkit for modders.
MEM is built for speed and fixes many issues ME3Explorer texture installation has (list of ME3Explorer known issues). Thus, it should be preferred to ME3Explorer for texture and meshes installation.