A new map by TheGunrun.
As some of you may know I am the creator of C&C Retarded, a mod which for me represented a new style of thinking. My mod was created to show the world what the power of an idea could bring to the table. Elegance through simplicity and style.
I had hoped that the Mod SDK for RA3 would have been released and in my hands by Christmas, but since it hasn't I have decided to work on a new project; one that would replicate what the Retarded Mod Series meant to me and show how far anyone with a good idea and enough ambition can accomplish.
Yesterday, I released "Retarded Defense: Ravana", the first of hopefully many "Retarded Defense" maps.
Retarded Defense is a project that I started to supplement the lack of a working SDK which I hope will catch on as a game type in online play that will make RA3 stand out from any other RTS.
Retarded Defense: Ravana is a proof of a concept. Proof that the Retarded Model from my past mods can be applied to map making. Proof that no matter how ridiculous an idea may sound at first, it can be crafted into something that works that people will like and enjoy.
Retarded Defense is an elaborate game type that fusses concepts from Tower Defense, Art of Defense, and Left 4 Dead.
With this map introduces a whole new concept, the AI Director. Whoever decides to select the player starting location off the map will be given this role. The AI Director is the player who commands all the AI that spawn onto the map.
What the AI Director is asked to do:
1. Destroy all Non-Director Players or have a unit complete the path.
What Non-Director Players are asked do:
1. Stop enemy units from completing the path.
2. Survive enemy attack waves controlled by the AI Director
3. Be able to work with hostile teammates.
What the AI Director should know:
1. All units will automatically move along the path, unless told otherwise by the AI Director. Only units that aren't disturbed by the AI Director complete the path.
2. AI Director has no MCV and no way to create units.
3. The size of each wave given to the AI Director by the map are decided by coded dice roll.
4. Any Shogun Executioners that are given to the AI Director will only be command-able after four minutes on the map.
5. The AI Director can use player special abilities, such as the Chrono Swap and Balloon Bombs.
6. Some units the AI Director owns cannot be moved by the AI Director.
What Non-Director Players should know:
1. Players start with $69,000.
2. Players have Two MCVs.
3. Players are given $2000 every 12 seconds by the map.
4. At the start of the game players are given some time to prep for the incoming waves.
5. Players don't have to kill another player in order to win.
What hosts of Retarded Defense games should know:
1. There is no need to set teams.
2. There is no need to change start cash.
3. It is fun to make sure everyone doesn't pick a starting location in order to get a random AI Director.
4. Players can be substituted by Computer Opponents, including the AI Director.