Changes just about every visual aspect of the game. I preferred Doom Enhanced to Beautiful Doom since the latter had a tendency to murder the framerate on slower PCs. I also thought BD was too flashy at times, so the core base of the mod is DE. See description for details.
Herein lies before you the ultimate bastard love child of Doom Enhanced and Beautiful Doom! Created by December Man, a man who had had absolutely no idea about coding in this damn game, but did it anyway! The result of a 4 month, on and off, trial and error learning process is here!
I preferred Doom Enhanced to Beautiful Doom since the latter had a tendency to murder the framerate on slower PCs. I also thought BD was too flashy at times, so the core base of the mod is DE.
[outdated] Use "Plutoniafix.wad" when launching Plutonia Experiment. It was created because of the incompatibility of the liquid falls animations by Jekyll Grim Payne in TNT Evilution. Nothing else that could be done on my part without actually modding the Evilution IWAD. Blame TeamTNT :P [outdated]
I rearranged the liquid falls animations' situation. Since many custom mods/map packs replace many of the falls textures, thus creating a total mess out of them when using this mod, I decided thusly: the falls animations are a separate file named "cosmdoom-falls.wad". If you want the anims, use it. For TNT Evilution, use "cosmdoom-TNTFix.wad" instead. When you see problems with animations in your custom map, just don't use any of the new files and you should be fine.
Doom Enhanced by The Kins - the base for everything
Beautiful Doom by Jekyll Grim Payne aka zer0 - primarily the weapons part of the mod, but also Zombieman with pistol and lighting effects
HQ Sound Effects by Per Kristian Risvik - used nearly everything, since they're so good
Zero Tolerance by Zero Prophet - Chainsaw sprites
Brutal Doom by Sergeant_Mark_IV - Mancubus, Arachnotron and Chaingunner alternative deaths (modified Chaingunner to add ammo belt)
Doom64 Absolution by kaiser - armor and explosion sprites, Rocket Launcher sound
The Stranger by WildWeasel - four shotgun shells sprite
psYchIc by psYchIc team - additional smoke effect
WolfenDOOM by Laz Rojas, updated by CeeJay - SS pain sound
Super Skulltag by Anima and ALIENWolve - took a few particle effects
New sounds from various games, primarily Doom 3. Some sounds I created by mixing them.
Major changes list (in Doom Enhanced and Beautiful Doom portions):
- every monster except Lost Soul, Pain Elemental, Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon have additional death animations,
- Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind deaths (from Doom Enhanced) don't deal damage anymore (it was almost game breaking in some custom WADs which put the player in small rooms with multiple Cyberdemons/Spider Masterminds),
- the Player, Zombieman, Shotgunner, Chaingunner and Imp use the original extreme death animations (+some additional effects) as plasma damage related deaths,
- Demon has alternative plasma damage death too,
- Hell Knight, Baron of Hell and Archvile have BFG damage related deaths,
- Zombiemen carry Pistols (courtesy of Beautiful Doom) and drop them on death; purely cosmetic,
- fixed the Beautiful Doom's Pistol which was lacking a proper idle animation,
- fixed Doom Enhanced dropped Shotguns and Chainguns which gave twice as much ammo than they should,
- replaced armor sprites with the ones from Doom64, since the originals reminded me times back when I thought they were small, glowing bushes - I was 9,
- replaced 'sploshuns with Doom64 sprites,
- added smoke effects to casings and shells ejected from guns,
- increased transparency to Beautiful Doom's smoke effects,
- changed the Beautiful Doom's Plasma Rifle to the original and created a third firing animation frame,
- reduced the time blood needs to disappear by 1/3rd,
- removed all custom title cards, so I can disguise someone else's work as mine,
- removed the custom Cacodemon pain sound since it was too ridiculous,
- modified Per Kristian Risvik's Super Shotgun firing sound to make it more like the original,
- removed the explosive barrel idle sound because it was a total clusterf*ck with only more than two barrels in just one room (I still have nightmares about Barrels O'Fun),
- reduced the volume of the Beautiful Doom's Shotgun and Chaingun firing sounds, so my neighbours stop calling the cops,
- significantly reduced the volume of the Beautiful Doom's Chainsaw wall hitting sounds, so my ears stop bleeding so profoundly,
- multiple other sound changes, too numerous to list here,
- multiple smaller bugfixes to Doom Enhanced and Beautiful Doom's original coding,
- and more.
- reintroduced, significantly reduced the volume and put a limit on the explosive barrel idle sound,
- reduced the volume and put a limit on torch and lamp idle sounds,
- put a limit on the enemy footstep sounds,
- Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon deaths use the default explosion sprites now, since they fit better,
- Cacodemon, Hell Knight and Baron of Hell now spawn blood with proper color on their deaths,
- Spectre body parts and gibs are now transparent like the Spectre itself,
- Spectre has black blood now,
- reintroduced the original gibbing animations to the Player, Zombieman, Shotgunner, Chaingunner and Imp as an alternative extreme death (around 50% chance of occurring),
- added an alternative extreme death animation to the Demon (around 50% chance of occurring),
- slightly increased the original death animations occurrence chances to all monsters,
- fixed the Cacodemon death animations occurrence chances,
- changed the Berserk sound,
- bullet puffs don't look like Christmas anymore,
- added a small icon next to the word "ARMOR" to the default status bar representing the type of armor the player has (doesn't work when cheat codes to gain armor are used i.e. "givearmor", "idfa", "idkfa" etc.; summoning the armor via "summon greenarmor" or "summon bluearmor" and then picking it up works),
- the Green Armor cannot be pickup up if the player has more than 49% of the Blue Armor left (doesn't work when cheat codes to gain Blue Armor are used i.e. "givearmor", "idfa", "idkfa" etc.; summoning the armor via "summon bluearmor" and then picking it up works) [thanks to amv2k9 and Blue Shadow!],
- multiple smaller bugfixes.
- improved the detached Arachnotron leg during the alternative death animation,
- improved the coding a bit,
- removed gamebreaking bugs from 1.1,
- more bugfixes.
- further reduced the volume and put a maximum limit on torch and lamp idle sounds,
- fixed the light given off by the small light column,
- Zombiemen, Shotgunners, Chaingunners, Imps and Demons have a much larger chance not to gib into a fountain of blood; instead they use the default/new (in the case of the Demon) gibbing animations.
- added a new optional cursor,
- added HQ pain sounds,
- tweaked Chainsaw sounds,
- removed redundant sounds to make the file a bit smaller.
- significantly improved the standard ZDoom fullscreen HUD:
- there is a red fist (from Quake 3) in the lower left corner when the Berserk powerup is in effect,
- there are powerup timers on the left (visible when powerups are in effect),
- the mugshot is next to health and armor,
- ammo counts for all ammo types on the right,
- key icons in the upper right corner are much larger;
- the Spectre has no red blood in it left (fixed some red blood appearing),
- improved smoke from used casings,
- took a few particle effects from Super Skulltag by Anima and ALIENWolve,
- small tweaks here and there.
- bugfixes here and there.
- rearranged the liquid falls animations' situation - read above for details,
- added new pickup sounds for shotgun shell box, Cell Pack, a single rocket and Stimpack,
- updated the ZDoom HUD with weapon icons appearing when weapons are in possession of the player, on the right, above the ammo counter,
- changed the Chaingun sound to the HQ version of the original Shotgun (it now sounds like the Chaingun guys and Spider Mastermind in the default version),
- changed the Spider Mastermind attack sound to the Chaingun one,
- changed the Super Shotgun reload sounds,
- you can pass through the hanging bodies now - they're non-solid, but still shootable,
- removed the new animation for the DBRAIN texture - pointless and caused problems,
- reduced the volume of shotgun shell casings as they were obnoxiously loud (forgot to do that last time).
- fixed the lensflares.