The stock SWBF2 HUD looks pretty great... as long as you play at a resolution of 800x600 or thereabouts. When playing at modern 16:9 resolutions, however, things look pretty rough; Fonts are tiny, certain HUD elements overlap, and there are more than a few errors and inconsistencies. My goal with this little project was simply to make the stock HUD more legible and more consistent for those playing on 1080p monitors and TVs, and I think I did as thorough of a job as I could have.
I fixed too many problems to list them all, but here are the important ones:
- every primary and secondary weapon icon has been corrected for high resolutions
- nearly all in game text is larger
- map/minimap size increased
- spawn button moved to the center of the screen, allowing faster class switching (just press "E" at a command post, numbers 1-6 on your keyboard to select a class, and hit "Enter")
- soldier FOV increased from 65 to 75
To install, replace the ingame.lvl file in your "...\GameData\data\_lvl_pc" directory with mine. Be sure to make a backup of your original ingame.lvl, in case you ever want to go back. DO NOT use this mod If you use the Fake Console menu from the 1.3 patch. Other parts of the 1.3 patch will work just fine, but the Fake Console will not. You might also notice that some troop icons will still appear at their original, small size on the map. This is fixable, but you'll have to make changes to your Side files. If enough people end up using this mod, I'll add my Sides as an optional download. I've included my source code, so feel free to make edits or whatever else. Just give me a shoutout if you ever want to re-release it as a part of your mod lol. Enjoy.