Our first tutorial on the creation of our Hi-Res model for our Stegosaurus.
Posted by AshtonAndersen on Feb 3rd, 2010
Intermediate Players Modelling.
Alright, here is a little walkthrough which follows my process of making the Stegosaurus for Primal Carnage. I hope you find it useful.
Images 1 and 2
At first, I made a quick Zsphere setup, to get started on blocking in the forms as quick as possible. You can see the progress from the left picture to the right. The use of reference pictures is important to get the main shapes and forms right at an early stage.
Images 3 and 4
In these next two pictures, I added a couple more subdivisions to the mesh, leading on to the blocking in of more and more of the shape. Detail is not of the highest importance at this point, however, I do try out certain shapes or ideas that I have in mind.
Images 5 and 6
Here I added the back scales, the tail spikes, and the eyes.
Back scales: I subdivided a cube and shaped it as I wanted. In Zbrush I cloned and positioned all the new subtools on one side. Then, I merged all those subtools and mirrored it. Lastly, I repositioned the new ones, as the scales are offset along the spine.
In picture 6, you can see that I have started experimenting with some of the more distinctive features of the creature.
Images 7 and 8
I am gradually adding more weight and details to it.
Images 9 and 10
Here, I start to add the skin texture. I produced a few different layers containing different wrinkle styles and folds. I tend to use alpha maps for this, at least as a base. Sometimes, I go over parts which require greater definition.
As you may have noticed, I still need to define the hind legs. I delayed working on them, as my idea of what they should look like was based on the appearance of the front legs.
Here is a quick pose using transpose master, just for fun!
Images 12 and 13
And there you have them, with the hind legs done (picture 12). In picture 13, you can see the shapes becoming more and more defined.
Images 14 and 15
Here, I have gradually added a great amount of detail. Despite this, I still aim to keep all the major shapes well-defined and clear. Also, in picture 15, you can see that I've added a tongue.
Here is the final model, with details added to the back scales and spikes on the tail. I hope you have found this walkthrough useful. If you have any questions or comments, then please eMail me at ''rasmus(at)rasmusw.dk. Finally, I'd like to give a big thanks to the Lukewarm Media crew.
To see more of my work, please visit www.rasmusw.dk