As noted in my comment:
- Loud noises are surprising, but not scary.
- There was little to no atmosphere.
- The game lacked a story, and therefore failed to immerse me in the experience.
- The graphics were atrocious (which is surprising, considering this was developed with UDK)
- You failed to remove the default HUD shipped with UDK. Seriously?
- You utilized music from SCP-087 and Slender. Sigh...
- There was no threat; the aliens aren't capable of killing player, so what am I supposed to be scared of?
- The minimap doesn't display anything.
I would give this a 2/10, but I can't provide ratings that low yet.
I like the concept and all, but it felt that something were missing.
I dont like the fact that the mod is large. I just wanted the startpositions and thats it. I didnt feel like i wanted the facy retexturing, remodeled line infantries and why would you want to start as scotland, at the end of the game? late campaign when EVERYONE HAS THIS BORING FIRE-BY-RANKS that no one wants to delete. Everyone loves that *******. really..
I have spent over two hours to try to get this mod to run I have followed the instructions. I patched it and tryed so many things to get it to work. I read alot of forms on the problems with this mod saying its just a mess. All my other mods work no problem. I would love to play this mod but it looks like its just broke to ****. I have done alot for moding with alot of other games for years and this mod is one stubborn turd. Please fix your mod man it should not be this hard to trouble shoot.
I give this game a 3 and not a 1 only because I wasn't actually able to play when I booted it up. After waiting around a half hour for it to reach the Main Menu I was greeted by enormous amounts of lag that I could not avoid by switching the graphics to the lowest settings... speaking of which, the graphics in this game are nothing spectacular and appear dated by around 6 or 7 years. That's not to say it takes anything from the game mechanics, of course, just I don't see why it would perform so poorly; I rather think they should have opted for something even simpler and optimized it more efficiently.
Now, when I tried to actually play a game was when things got tricky. First I tried the tutorial - the loading screen took me another 10 or so minutes before it dropped me in. Plenty of lag at first but it all settled down... then I tried to perform a simple objective: "Select the barracks and train Swordsmen." Easy enough, you'd think. However upon selecting said trained Swordsmen I was instantly deafened by the 20db of their horrible call to be directed. After my initial shock and a soft massaging of my sensitive eardrum I clicked the unit again, still the audio clipped well beyond acceptable volume levels. I clicked another unit, no clipping. Swordsman, clipping. I turned the game audio down which solved the problem for about a minute... then I was deafened yet again.
At this point I quit the game, reopened and tried the online campaign, the loading time of which was around 10 minutes. All the audio outside music was now clipping, and nothing I could do would remedy the problem. The game was lagging every 5 or so frames, and I had to Alt+F4 out just to quit the game and avoid sitting there for another 10 minutes waiting to get to the main menu.
This could be a really great game, but for me it was absolutely unplayable and what I saw was fairly unremarkable. A very 'buyer beware' title in my opinion.
Ok my review.
Now it took me a long time to buy this game, and i purely got it for the collection, not because it looked good with the eye candy previews.
I give it 3/10 for 3 reasons to what i actually liked about it.
1. I liked the whole difference to playing a CnC title, which to me added a whole different tact to it all, though badly made.
2. I like the units though ugly and i did like the crawler, but not as just one whole unit for everything.
3. The exp system, rewards for skill if any.
But all in all i hate it for 7 reasons.
1. Unit cap???? Arrrrrrrr why????? Bad EA, go face the corner. A unit cap on CnC is just insulting to die hard fans.
2. One unit for everything, i actually like building a base and challenging AI and players on theirs.
3. Storyline!?!?!? Didn't make sense at all. Cheap and pointless.
4. Why the smeg should i have to log in to play, i bought the game, i should have a choice to play solo or not.
5. Units are badly unbalanced and are stupid to follow a simple tactic.
6. No epic feeling, yayy i defeated the mission ohhh wow.......NOT!!!!
7. Just kiss my *** EA, you better not ruin Generals 2.