This review is of version 1.0 as-is.
+ Partially excellent voice acting
+ A LOT of new content
+ Mostly good music
+ Mostly great atmosphere
+ Mostly good mapping, very fitting maps and very atmospheric
+ Interesting moral choice(s) to make
+ New, creative "enemies": You deal with more than your typical soldier or monster in this game: often the environment itself is hazardous
+ A big interesting story, questioning our morality
+ There is a good mix of fighting, puzzles and "relaxing" moments
+ There are some very challenging, yet fun combat areas with fitting music
- Partially very robotic/emotionless voice acting
- It is difficult to hear people talk (Their audio files are too quiet in comparison to the game sounds)
- There are some areas where the music feels slightly out of place
- Sometimes "blocky" mapping, lacking detail in some areas
- There are some rooms/areas which seem somewhat pointless, as they are often entirely empty
- There are too few hints to help the player find his way, sometimes I even thought there was no solution, or it was hidden too well
- There is a lot of inconsistency in enemy behavior
- Difficult start: No real hints on how to use the powers correctly (despite them being essential to survival early game)
- No iron sights or crosshair: This makes using firearms difficult
- VERY often there are objects in the way of movement, doors and books on the floor tend to block movement entirely and jumping barely helps (making them not collide with the player would have helped a great deal. I was busy looking at the floor, trying to navigate around objects more than I could focus on the great atmosphere and vistas)
- The "smoke-vision" effect you get from throwing fireballs is very blinding
- The sound for rockets is VERY annoying
- Linear leveldesign
- A bit nit-picky: The animation for the hammer looks a bit awkward (swinging it from below)
I wish I had more characters allowed so I could give more details..
Awful mod! The entire storyline is a ********. Monsters looks like they have been made by a guy who was really high. Mod is soo long, that it beats all interest out of you, and it doesnt encourage you to complete game again. This sucks completely. Even Afraid of Monsters was FAR FAR better then this ****.
This mod is enjoyable, but a bit spammy. I was a little disappointed with the skill trees. The pictures were overwhelming and they were straight vertical and non-overlapping. More like a skill bamboo chute. Still, the powers were cool and it was interesting both in art and concept. It seems like it could use a little refining because, to me at least, some of it seemed a little rough around the edges. I liked that there was a limit to the amount of points you could put in a skill varient from the normal Diablo II because in order to specialIze, you're forced to save points and have your power rise and fall in comparison to the monsters. Alternatively, it also allows your character to diversify more affectively. Overall, the mod was enjoyable. I felt a little like I was playing hardcore when I wasn't, but it made it challenging. Thanks for the fun and please keep making mods and games.
Interesting idea for a completly non-combat mod.
Some reasonable detail in the larger portion of the levels.
The overal setting was good and an interesting use of the stock HL2 assets.
The overal pollish and detail in some levels could be improved!, some areas just ended with practically nothingness....
Cant comment on the voice acting as I had to use English subtitles
Story direction, it felt like the character knew what he wanted to do/where he had to go all the time and the player was only informed of this in the most simple of ways (text on screen), I did find myself wandering round quite a bit).
Overall I'm happy I played and completed it, but it could do with a revamp to smooth out the edges.
A hidden gem, this one. It took some getting used to but is literally one of my favorite games I have played in a while. Such a beautiful setting, rich with lore beyond most franchises these days (albiet lacking in the actual storyline). Not to mention is wonderful and unique style of combat, which is actually challenging.
I just adore every thing about this game.
And the music... oh, the music. <3