Now that I'm FINALLY able to play Black Mesa, I have to say that it is just straight up amazing, there's simply no denying it's awesome-ness.
THE GOOD / FRIGGIN' AMAZING
- 9000/9001 of everything is super professional, such as the map design, animations, etc.
- A lot of content
- Epic music
- Awesome gameplay, it feels just like HL1 when you're playing, which is of course a good thing
- Hard mode is actually hard
- Introduces Half-Life to teh newbies
- A lot of bad voice acting, especially for the scientists
- Some textures were pretty meh looking
- Not really any new weapons or anything. It is a small complaint, really. I'm just Saiyan' that it'd be nice to have some new weapons to kick *** with.
- 99% of all objects that you can pick up, you can throw as if they have no weight or something
- Many of the secret areas are not really hidden at all, just really obvious
- Iron-sights kind of suck
Overall, Black Mesa is pretty much just a better version of HL1, and is one of the best HL2 mods ever. So if you don't get this mod then you MUST BE OUTTA' YO DAYUM MIND!
Few odd bugs I've encountered (texture errors when starting a new game in the middle of playing) but compared to every single half life 2 mod ever made this strides ahead of them in every aspect. Great maps, voice work, game play, textures, variety, in all it just looks professional.
There is nothing about this game that does not make me happy. If I had to pick one and only one game to play for the rest of my life, this would be one of the candidates.
Will everyone find it as fun as I do? Likely not. But if you like Sim-style management games you will probably either like this game, or love it. Everything about it is polished and it's very fun, and challenging too. If you like the genre, you will like this game.
And the most incredible part -- it's not even *finished*. Nor even close to finished, by the looks of things. It hardly deserves its alpha status, it's polished and playable. All it's going to get is -- more. More gnomes, more items, more buildings, more things to do. This game has incredible potential and when it finally hits 1.0 it's going to be hard to beat.