-(Jean-Paul LeBreton), the lead designer of Bioshock 2
SIMPLE. Be the highest points scorer:
Try to find as many secrets and map items as possible, kill as many monsters as possible, complete as many map objectives as possible, and explode as many barrels as possible, as quickly as possible. The player with the highest points or hi-score wins the game. Other than that, it is Doom.
Players compete against each other in co-op to be the highest points scorer at the end of a Doom finale (E1M8, MAP30 etc...), or at the end of a server map-rotation, or when a point-limit is hit. Points are awarded for more than just kills. Points are awarded for damage, items found, secrets found, multi-kills, barrels-blown and a plethora of other ways which gives a simple game deep game-play.
Furthermore there is an add-on pack that adds up to nearly 300 new Doom-like enemies and a ton of new power-ups as well as a 'Boss-Rush' sequence for maps like E1M8, E2M8 & E3M8 where players need to vanquish a sequence of bosses to finish the game.
Check out Scoredoom.com for the download and better overview.
Points are accumulated in a variety of ways:
* Damage done to monsters
* Monster kills (10% bonus of the orginal health of the monster)
* Extreme death kills (a further 10% bonus of the orginal health of the monster, on top of the kill bonus) are when you take the monster's health down to more than negative it's initial health (certain monsters explode into gibs)
* Secrets: Finding a secret first scores 250 points
* Map Objectives: Finding a key/skullkey first, and using it first scores 250 points. Reaching a level exit
first gives 100 points, and reaching a secret level exit first gives 200 points.
* Map items: Collecting a map item gives +5 points. Any item counted as a map item in Doom, is one that can always be picked up, and goes towards the Item Count percentages at intermission screens. Items like blue health flasks, armor helmet bonuses, radiation suits, artifact powerups, automap pickups, beserk packs, infrared goggles etc... Not armor suits, health pickups, ammo or weapons.
* Barrels: Barrels give +5 points when destroyed.
* Chain Bonuses: If a player can kill 4 monsters in a very short time, they will get a small bonus of
+5 points or more (depending on the monster's starting health), which accumulates up to a +5 or more point bonus, for every other monster killed after that, just as quickly. If the player can keep the rampage going, they will eventually get a full Chain Bonus of +5 or more points per monster. (NOTE: Any extreme death bonus will also be added to the chain bonus score for the killed monster, which essentially doubles the extreme death bonus during chain bonuses.
* 'Most' Bonuses: At the end of a level, 100 extra bonus points are awarded to the player which has
the most monsters killed, has the most items found, has the most secrets found, and has most barrels blown.
*NOTE*: It is important to pick up barrels and items etc..., since it effects the next score:
* Monster Infighting Deaths and Monster Suicides: Since monster deaths due to infighting and suicides are ultimately player assisted, there is a small bonus for these deaths too. *The player with the total cumulative count of monsters killed, items found, secrets found and barrels blown is considered the most active player and gets a full bonus of 10% of the orginal health of the monster killed this way.* Other players get a fraction of this score based on the
ratio of their cumulative count to the leaders. Though even players with 0 will get at least 1 point.
* Player Deaths: Player deaths due to other players carry no score penalty, though deaths due to monsters, suicide, and the environment cary a -1000 penalty (points get set to zero and are never negative).