Post news Report article RSS Feed Desura is opening up

After 2000+ SVN check-ins and countless sleepless nights, we have just kicked off the process of opening up Desura!

Posted by INtense! on Oct 28th, 2010

Almost a year ago on December 17th we unveiled Desura for the first time and invited a small amount of people into the beta. Though the beta was basic with little content, it was well received by the press, game magazines and users and even won a spot on the Gamesbeat best startup GDC panel. With our confidence boosted we set our sights on adding the final polish to Desura and getting it released early 2010.

We expected this would take 4 to 6 weeks, so we locked down the beta and told those keen to sit tight...

...however as the old 90/90 saying goes "the first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time, and the remaining 10% takes the other 90%". So here we are in October and whilst we still have a lot of improvements and big changes to come, Desura is ready to enter into the final stage of the beta and open up to new users and games!

So without further delay, if you would like early access to Desura simply post a comment here and we shall make it happen (just keep in mind that Desura is still light on the content department - we are working on that now!). So more importantly if you are working on an indie game or mod which is released (or near release), polished and bug free WE WANT to hear from you! We've got a slidedeck to send your way which shows just what Desura is capable of for you devs (its all automated and we believe pretty darn cool).

At least we are going to beat DNF to release...

UPDATE #1: 115 invites just sent

Post comment Comments  (0 - 50 of 237)
Bersek Oct 28 2010 says:

Awesome news! It would be cool to gain early access :)

+2 votes     reply to comment
OisinFX Oct 28 2010 says:

Lets have a look see!

+2 votes     reply to comment
Danboe Oct 28 2010 says:

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Desura after reading so much about it, wonder why I haven't sent an email about it earlier though...

+2 votes     reply to comment
Expack Oct 28 2010 says:

Well, since I'm supposed to make a post in order to gain beta access, here it is!

...oh, and I honestly think that providing a ModDB-like digital distribution platform is a BRILLIANT idea! If only you'd thought to do this sooner!

-2 votes     reply to comment
INtense! Author
INtense! Oct 28 2010 says:

We only support a handful of games, but aim to support most of the new releases coming out. Hopefully soon all it will take is a click to get a mod running.

Invites will be sent roughly every 8 hours to the email address in your profile - so look out for a message.

+4 votes   reply to comment
MitchellS Oct 28 2010 says:

Desura is pretty good, I love the interface.

+2 votes     reply to comment
INtense! Author
INtense! Oct 28 2010 replied:

we've actually got a lot of changes coming in that area (in the next 3 months) to focus more on the playing of games

+1 vote   reply to comment
master_oli-p Oct 28 2010 says:

interesting, certainly wouldn't mind having a look at what you've got :) sounds like you've got a winner in the works...

+1 vote     reply to comment
TYRIAN Oct 28 2010 says:

I´m in!!

If you let me, of course :D

+2 votes     reply to comment
Ark_ Oct 28 2010 says:

I'm glad to hear your making good progress on it and I hope Desura does well in the wild and it should from what I have seen in the beta so far.

+1 vote     reply to comment
MrDev Oct 28 2010 says:

Mods really need this expansion, I remember days of old when the only way to find out about mods was word of mouth from other players and visits to a game specific site, with the changes in the PC community where the modders have begun supplementing the commercial side. Having a collective showing what all is out there it helps the consumers and producers find each other.

Mean wile you have "gaming" websites touting that PC gaming is dead except for causal games and MMOs... I think not. The community that stands behind pc games has always been here, and will continue as long was we want it to. hardcore supporters you find here are not your casual xbox only players or people playing farm-ville.. We're dedicated, and passionate. If we weren't, would the gaming industry really have become what it is today without the hard core supporters?

I remember a few years ago when I asked INtense if he had plans for supporting Homebrew developers on Moddb. He delivered and great dual platform games have risen to the call serious projects for hijacked hardware become popular and thrive.

+4 votes     reply to comment
[Night_Stalker] Oct 28 2010 says:

Very nice.

+1 vote     reply to comment
SonnyB Oct 28 2010 says:

I'd love early access if possible :)

+1 vote     reply to comment
Karriz Oct 28 2010 says:

Desura Beta has been really good, it just needs much more content. And I am sure there will be.

+1 vote     reply to comment
MatthewD Oct 28 2010 says:

Yeah, when I had the Desura client on my laptop (have since reformatted) it was a great system, just lacked in content.

+1 vote     reply to comment
INtense! Author
INtense! Oct 29 2010 replied:

Content is becoming our focus now, we are looking for someone full time to work on this:

+1 vote   reply to comment
PembrokeWelshCorgi Oct 28 2010 says:

Sounds nice, I'd like to try.

+1 vote     reply to comment
PhillInHoles Oct 28 2010 says:

I would love to participate in the early stages of Desura :)

+1 vote     reply to comment
Luigis_#1 Oct 28 2010 says:

I would love to see how it is coming and see Desura. I've been thinking about it lately...

+1 vote     reply to comment
Beac Oct 28 2010 says:

I'd like in to this.

+1 vote     reply to comment
BrainCandy Oct 28 2010 says:

We would love to participate in the Desura adventure! It looks like it could become an excellent download and community platform.

+1 vote     reply to comment
jangsy5 Oct 28 2010 says:


+1 vote     reply to comment
dsi1 Oct 28 2010 says:

Awesome, I really want to check this out.

+1 vote     reply to comment
kev11106 Oct 28 2010 says:

Let's have a lookyloo...

+1 vote     reply to comment
thenellt Oct 28 2010 says:

I love the idea of Desura and am interested in seeing it in action.

+1 vote     reply to comment
Mr.John Oct 28 2010 says:


Oh, ok then.

+1 vote     reply to comment
Coopers1 Oct 28 2010 says:

This stuff seems really cool. I wish i had early access ;)

+1 vote     reply to comment
ThePeanutBaron Oct 28 2010 says:

Seems like a great concept would love to see how it works. =D

+1 vote     reply to comment
flame4455 Oct 28 2010 says:

Cant wait to try it out :D

+1 vote     reply to comment
SEGIII Oct 28 2010 says:

Ah, this sounds good. :)
Digital distribution for specifically indie games? Or is it for indie and mainstream? Either way, I would like to try it out. May I have an invite please? :D

+1 vote     reply to comment
_dhk_ Oct 28 2010 says:

INtense! wrote:At least we are going to beat DNF to release...

Hehehe.... those jokes will never end^^

+1 vote     reply to comment
blackmodeler Oct 28 2010 says:

dont count me out, I spectacularly spectate

+1 vote     reply to comment
OriginalPerry Oct 28 2010 says:

Wow it's been almost a year? Feels like a few weeks ago that I started reading about this! How time flies :D Love to get a spot anyway :) And no more DNF digs, it's being done! D:

+1 vote     reply to comment
Mikerrrrr Oct 28 2010 says:

Early access? Yes, please!

+1 vote     reply to comment
Cameron:D Oct 28 2010 says:

Wow, awesome. Count me in :D

+1 vote     reply to comment
m0nster Oct 28 2010 says:

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Desura... To be honest I'd really appreciate it ;)

Greetings m0nster

+1 vote     reply to comment
kuadziw Oct 28 2010 says:

Count me in. Thank you!

+1 vote     reply to comment
ANtY93 Oct 28 2010 says:

Id like to try it :)

+1 vote     reply to comment
Leon_Kilean Oct 28 2010 says:

Oo I´d love to get an access to Desura!
And maybe someday I can get a hl2 mod or two from me in there..

+1 vote     reply to comment
MrTambourineMan Oct 28 2010 says:

MrTambourineMan wants to use Desura!

+1 vote     reply to comment
Wh1tebird Oct 28 2010 says:

Count me in ^^

+1 vote     reply to comment
WarlockSyno Oct 28 2010 says:

I'd like to see a mobile version. For iOS and Android. Like OpenFient.

Already have an account, and loving Desura. Keep up the great work!

+1 vote     reply to comment
slay3rdb Oct 28 2010 says:

id love to use desura sign me up XD

+1 vote     reply to comment
BenLubar Oct 28 2010 says:

I want to release my mod on this.

+1 vote     reply to comment
0Buzz Oct 28 2010 says:

Going to be interesting to see how desura evolves, not exacly sure what it is yet other then a buy and sell site?.

+1 vote     reply to comment
Commander87 Oct 28 2010 says:

Nice to read that the progress on Desura goes well.
Would love to take a look at Desura if you let me. ;)

+1 vote     reply to comment
kishan6 Oct 28 2010 says:

um... id like to use desura
dont know what else to say

+1 vote     reply to comment
JasperHope Oct 28 2010 says:

This is the best thing since sliced bread, literally!

Beta access would pleasure me in more ways than one.

+1 vote     reply to comment
aidy70060 Oct 28 2010 says:

yey i want a go :D

+1 vote     reply to comment
Bladesinger Oct 28 2010 says:

I'd like to try it.

+1 vote     reply to comment
Post a Comment
click to sign in

You are not logged in, your comment will be anonymous unless you join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) which we encourage all contributors to do.

2000 characters limit; HTML formatting and smileys are not supported - text only

Post news
Report Abuse
Report article
Related Groups
Desura Entertainment & Press with 10,120 members