XWVM is a mod to the original Star Wars: X-Wing game from Lucas Arts and Totally Games by Larry Holland and Edward Kilham. Our goal is to rebuild the game engine with newer technologies that allow it to run and make use of the latest hardware and improvements in gaming hardware. The mod will require the player to own and have installation of the original Star Wars: X-Wing game, or have the GOG or Steam versions of X-Wing Special Edition (either the 1993 floppy, the 1994 CD, and/or 1998 Windows edition). XWVM neither contains nor distributes any copyrighted material. All game resource files (missions, voiceovers, SFX, iMUSE automaton, etc) are loaded from the player's copy of the original game, or are original creations of our team, where the original resources are considered inadequate for today's standards.
Development gameplay video of current progress of the XWVM community mod: a remake of the original 1993 X-Wing flight engine meant to replace the old DOS or Windows executable.
This video shows Y-Wing Historical Mission 6: "Interception and Capture" (Rescue Admiral Ackbar).
This is the second video in the series.
We have added many features since the last one:
- Mini intro with the Lucas Arts and Totally Games logos from the original games, as well as the text crawl.
- Hyperspace sequences, including arrival and departure from star system.
- Astronomical backdrops: local star, planets present on the mission file.
- Space dust.
- Engine glows and sun flares.
- New models for all ships.
- Sound effects for engines, weapons, instruments, hits, explosions, etc.
- Functional, rotating turrets for the capital ship.
- Map instrument.
- Proton torpedo launcher and torpedoes.
- Mission goal tracker instrument.
- Full mission logic cycle working. The mission can be completed or failed. And it starts all over after dying or jumping into hyperspace.
- New mouse cursor design.
- Better combat AI.
- More accurate ship explosions.
- Time acceleration instrument.
- Throttle instrument.
And many more.