Modern Warfare Mod brings World in Conflict from the Cold War into the Modern Age. It also ups the ante on realism and authenticity in every role – Infantry, Armor, Support and Air, while trying our best to keep everything relatively balanced for fun and interesting gameplay.

Forum Thread
Planes in 2.1 and beyond (Games : World in Conflict : Mods : WIC: Modern Warfare Mod : Forum : General Mod Discussion : Planes in 2.1 and beyond) Locked
Thread Options
Jan 12 2012 Anchor

WIth the plane ai project going ahead it would be interesting to see the common opinion on the selection on planes, their load outs for the future ta options.

My suggestion will be on the lines of
USA faction
- air to air stike by F15C with amraam and sidewinder load out
- general purpose strike aircraft F18 (jdam, lgb, cluster munitions strikes and so on) with a-g payload, HARM, sidewinders for self defence
- cas A10C
Ru fastion
- air to air strike by Su27SM with R77 and R73 loadout
- general purpose strike aircraft Su34 (kab 500s, kab 500l, cluster munitions) with a-g payload, kh31pd, R73 for self defence
- cas Su25SM.

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 13 2012 Anchor

Current plans are as follows (and it won't change):

USA
RECON: MQ-1 Predator (2x AGM-114K)
CAS: A-10C (6x AGM-65D, additional payloads TBD)
CAP: F-22 (6x AIM-120C, 2x AIM-9X)

RUSSIA
RECON: Tu-142 (6x Kh-65)
CAS: Su-25TM (16x 9A4172, 2x Kh-25ML, 2x R-73M)
CAP: Su-27 (6x R-27ER, 4x R-73M)

SEAD flights will be developed later, only after Patriot and S-300 are upgraded to FLINT. Until then, SEAD flights won't be used.

Heaney
Heaney Community Manager
Jan 13 2012 Anchor

Yeah ikalugin some of your suggestions are very strange, so just out of pure interest what is your thinking?

Why the F-15C, being phased out in the coming years- when there is already a fleet of 184 of the far superior F-22 (which we have a model for)?

Why F/A-18, when the F-16 is the much more obvious aircraft?

And why Su-34, when there are only about 20 of them?

Edited by: Heaney

--

Heaney

Jan 13 2012 Anchor

How are you going to implement fixed-wing aviation? TA or RP unit?
btw Congratulations for the new update 2.0.1 it's awesome

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 14 2012 Anchor

It will probably be TA for balancing purposes, with Air role getting the cheap price and other roles getting it very high prices. The idea is that air players should start out with choppers and as they build their TA, build their air force up with fixed wing assets.

Instead of current UAV/bomber system which is quite broken, under the new system, you will get a command van/a ground vehicle instead, that you place near your spawn zone.

With the command vehicle, you can use its offensive ability to bring air planes into battlefield. Once deployed, the plane will appear and will fly in continuous holding pattern (stack formation), even when no enemies are visible to your team -- they will no longer behave like hovering helicopters.

The planes can be directed using JTAC infantry out on the field, when JTAC infantry designates a target with laser, not only can he guide air player's Hellfire missiles, it will also call out for air support from any available aircraft patrolling the battlefield.

Jan 14 2012 Anchor

Will JTAC be present in the RU faction to guide Kh-25ML missiles?
Also 9A4172 is Vikhr?

Jan 14 2012 Anchor

F18 comes as a navy unit, hence is to an extend logical (as you use marine units in game). Also it is better than f16.
F15 was to my best knowledge to stay for a while as "golden fleet" fighter. Propably I have mistaken F15E with F15C.

Use of F22A, B2A (and any long range cm platform really) will lead to an uncontrollable escalation towards nukes.
Lastly I seak a balanced approach for Better gameplay, where there won't be a ready counter for F22A (such as meter band radars and so on)

Su34 exists in similar amount to Tu142 and has a far better outstanding order.

Also you should change su25TM for su25SM version as the former is no longer in inventory really I think.

Heaney
Heaney Community Manager
Jan 14 2012 Anchor

ikalugin wrote: F18 comes as a navy unit, hence is to an extend logical (as you use marine units in game).

Many of the maps take place in the middle of the continent. Not a good idea to have F/A-18 coming from aicraft carriers to go there.
And many of the systems ingame are army. eg. the Patriot

ikalugin wrote: Also it is better than f16.

Define "better"?

ikalugin wrote: F15 was to my best knowledge to stay for a while as "golden fleet" fighter. Propably I have mistaken F15E with F15C.

F-15C is being phased out. In a war the current idea would be that the F-22 would be used as a primary air superiority fighter with F-15s coming in to "clean up".
F-15E is remaining in service, but it is a strike fighter not air superiority.

ikalugin wrote: such as meter band radars and so on

[Citation Needed]

--

Heaney

Jan 14 2012 Anchor

So you think that radars such as nebo series cannot be used to detect and track F22A? (as for citation needed).

As again, any strategic/stealthy platform will lead to escalation. As this implies a strong possibility of preparing counterforce strike.

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 14 2012 Anchor

chema1994 wrote: Will JTAC be present in the RU faction to guide Kh-25ML missiles?
Also 9A4172 is Vikhr?

9A4172 is Vikhr yes.

As for Kh-25ML, not sure atm.

Heaney
Heaney Community Manager
Jan 15 2012 Anchor

ikalugin wrote: So you think that radars such as nebo series cannot be used to detect and track F22A? (as for citation needed).

Far too vague. At what range?

From ausairpower.net , a site that is very anti-Lockheed Martin even admits

ausairpower.net wrote: the Nebo SVU will be capable of frustrating offensive operations by any air force not equipped with an F-22 or better capability.

But again no-one has stated any range here. Most if not all radars could track an F-22 1 meter away from it... but obviously that means nothing.

Edited by: Heaney

--

Heaney

Jan 15 2012 Anchor

Why R-27ER instead of R-77? I think that R-77 is AIM-120's russian counterpart

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 15 2012 Anchor

chema1994 wrote: Why R-27ER instead of R-77? I think that R-77 is AIM-120's russian counterpart

Because we're modeling the more commonly deployed Su-27S, which only supports R-27ER, not R-77.

And R-27ER has longer range than AIM-120C.

Jan 16 2012 Anchor

Stealth measures on F22A (shaping, ram) are meaningless when faced with low frequency radars. Ie nebo series will be able to detect and track F22A/F35(variants) as any other conventional aircraft. Only B2A has sufficient size of features for some of its stealth measures to be of any effect.

Also, given the acurate position fix, modern high power X-band radar can accumulate return data and reliably track stealth targets at tactically significant ranges. As rule of thumb - anything that has good ABM ability (as even SRAM had low rcs) can engage VLO targets, provided they get proper support.

To lesser extend L band radars can be used, but main stealth measures (ie shaping in F22A, B2A) are still working well, unlike the ram treatments (ie F35 variants will have issues when faced with now standart support radars)

Also Irbis radar can (according to the people presenting it on MAKS 2011) reliably detect Aim120D type target at 120 km range.

Lastly Su27 model IMO should be Su27SM as it is in sort of reasonable numbers now.

p.s. How will russian FAC control Vihr if it is laser beam rider? You can laser targets though for Kab250/500L, Kh25/29/38 laser guided variants.

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 16 2012 Anchor

Russian FAC does not control any missiles, it directs air strikes.

Jan 16 2012 Anchor

Will be A10s 30mm cantón ingame?
Btw the new vídeos are very good ;)

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 16 2012 Anchor

chema1994 wrote: Will be A10s 30mm cantón ingame?
Btw the new vídeos are very good ;)

In the initial version, unlikely; but the 30mm cannon of A-10 is definitely in the works, it will just take a while due to complexity in software.

Jan 25 2012 Anchor

I am wondering how planes will be able to operate while aprox. 60% of the map is covered by enemy SAM. Planes cannot "hide" behind obstacles from SAM radar like Helicopters, so they will be an easy target and constantly under fire by EVERY enemy AA-Unit.

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 25 2012 Anchor

Mr.Powerwau wrote: I am wondering how planes will be able to operate while aprox. 60% of the map is covered by enemy SAM. Planes cannot "hide" behind obstacles from SAM radar like Helicopters, so they will be an easy target and constantly under fire by EVERY enemy AA-Unit.

You're discounting the long-reach PGMs and anti-radiation missiles that these planes will be firing back against the SAM site. It's a nightmare to be support player again :)

Jan 26 2012 Anchor

Anti-Radiation missels ??!!! You mean radar-seaking missels ? Ok i said nothin ........

Jan 28 2012 Anchor

Mr.Powerwau wrote: Anti-Radiation missels ??!!! You mean radar-seaking missels ? Ok i said nothin ........

En.wikipedia.org

Jun 13 2012 Anchor

how to get a plane?

Heaney
Heaney Community Manager
Jun 13 2012 Anchor

SS-12 wrote: how to get a plane?

Call in "FARP" unit as an air player, then have enemies on the map and visible.

Use JTAC/FAC infantry to designate targets

--

Heaney

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.