So I was in The Hive Workshop's chatroom yesterday and some of the users such as redmarine and Dr Super Good have informed me that creating StarCraft 2: World of Warcraft would be a good idea because of the following reasons:
- StarCraft 2's engine is far better than the WarCraft III engine - looks better, better performance, and more to do in it.
- Galaxy Editor surpasses the World Editor by a long-shot according to some modders who've toyed with it already.
- Easy-to-use and easy-to-customize, unlike the World Editor.
- We use all of the World of Warcraft exports as we can get: models, textures, animations, sounds, music, icons, interface images, etc.
- Making SC2:WoW multiplayer is less of a hassle as it is for Wc3:WoW.
- More people will own StarCraft 2 than WarCraft III. (a likely prediction)
- No need of third-party programs to run the mod properly.
But there are some cons as well:
- Blizzard Entertainment may force a price onto the project, requiring those who wish to play SC2:WoW to pay-to-play SC2:WoW first. It wouldn't be a monthly fee though - just a one-time fee.
- Not everyone who was looking forward to Wc3:WoW will be able to play - many people who look forward to Wc3:WoW have low-end computers.
- Very large file size. Although this will be the same case for Wc3:WoW, the size may be larger due to the fact we'd be using all of WoW's content, which is often a lot.
- If Blizzard Entertainment, for some reason, decides to notify us that we're doing something they do not like, SC2:WoW will be canceled - but at least Wc3:WoW will remain alive.
- Wc3:WoW might not live much longer, but we'd release a BETA anyway to show what we had/have.
I and the rest of the team are quite curious what you guys may be thinking. Do you guys approve of this? Development on terrain would certainly be much faster and the new editor's code which StarCraft 2 presents will also make the possibilities much greater. In the end, for players who can handle StarCraft 2, it'll be a much better playing experience than it is on Wc3:WoW. No harm intended against Wc3:WoW of course, but quiet honestly, if the Wc3:WoW team shifts to StarCraft 2, life for us and you guys may get better...
And of course, for this week's update, Warsong Gulch has been a focus for me. However, not a ton complete. But to shut you guys up a tiny bit, here's a Work-In-Progress screenshot of what I've got so far. WIP 1, WIP 2, WIP 3.
The Horde side is about 45% complete (need to add mountains, fix the cliff that drops to battlefield, and a few other things. Then I'll work my way to the Alliance base as I add tiles and props and so on that lead up to it. I know the Horde side may look like $#!% because of the tile choice, but it's the best tile we've got for The Barrens/Warsong Gulch. As for the scale being "too large" or "too far", I'm still working on it, but for the most part, it's like that so it takes a bit to steal the flag and capture it. Would be a pain in the @$$ if your flag was captured within 1 minute.
I might upload more screenshots tomorrow. Stay tuned, as always...