LOTR-TW is a Total Conversion for Alexander TW based on The Lord of the Rings trilogy, focused to recreate the epic battles seen in the movies. It has a complete Middle Earth map, fully customised cities like Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep on Battle and Campaign map, a set of Historical Battles where you can play all the major and minor battles that take place in the trilogy, and a quest line for the Free-People's campaign where, if the player succeeds, will take the Ring-Bearer from Hobbiton to the wasteland of Mordor in an attempt to save the world from its doom.
Install this small patch over the v3.0 version. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: Extract the files in your rome total war main folder, where the file RomeTW-ALX.exe is placed.
- Extract the files to your Rome Total War main folder, where the RomeTW-ALX.exe file is placed.
- You must have the alexander total war expansion, and both v2.0 and v3.0 previously installed in the RTW folder for the mod to work.
- Savegame compatible.
LIST OF CHANGES:
- Fixed crash at start when spanish or italian traductions are enabled.
- Fixed crash while loading a battle caused by townguard texture (Free peoples unit).
- Fixed crash while loading a siege battle when there are elven walls in a barbarian or eastern settlement.
- Fixed wrong placement of Rivendel plaza in campaign battles.
- Fixed wrong strat model (Helm's deep wall) when there are stone walls in barbarian cities. Rohan can no longer build stone walls.
- Moved the spawn position of scripted reinforcements (at Helms Deep and Minas Tirith) to give them chances to participate in the siege battle.
- Increased upkeep costs of Gondor units. Dol Amroth can only recruit his regional units.
- Reduced attack (from 8 to 6) and shield (from 6 to 3) of Isengard Pikemen. Increased range of scouts (from 90 to 130) and crossbowmen (from 90 to 120).
- Elves can no longer be recruited in Mordor regions. And can no longer get the Farmer trait.
- Dwarves can upgrade the core buildings again (and so increase the city level). They can build wooden walls in non dwarven cities.
- Factions that can not build the higher training Arena building (with bonuses to experience) can now take advantage of this bonus at conquered cities where the building was already built.
- Rebels faction can build walls again.
- Custom battles: moved the lossarnach units from free-peoples to gondor roster again. Enabled townguards and bree militia for them instead.
- Doubled the construction costs of all buildings for the player (AI factions get a bonus to keep same costs).
- Increased monetary help to AI factions, specially for Isengard.
- Increased the possible player factions that could trigger the scripted reinforcements for the AI
"They are few changes, but I think they make the campaign much more challenging than the original v3.0.
I have started 3 campaigns with Rohan, Isengard and Gondor (VH/VH), and it is the first time that I was unable to destroy my enemies by joining my forces in a rush attack. The increased costs of the buildings and the stronger economy of the AI makes it hard to defend the captured regions. Yet, the AI use the same recruitment and upkeep rules than players, so they can not spawn infinite armies and every battle is important.
I included a submod with the old construction costs (Mods\lotrtw - Cheap Construction) for people who prefer an easier managment of economy and faster city development.
I also updated the submod with reduced recruitment times (Mods\lotrtw - Fast Recruitment), but I prevent you that the game seems more challenging with default rules. With reduced times, the AI recruits too many weak units in the begining, while human players can wait and then recruit fast armies of strong units when needed."
To use those submods execute JSGME.exe in the main RTW folder and activate the respective mods.