The Last Stand is an addon project for the Sins of a Solar Empire, aiming to provide additional and original content, depth and challenge to the game, including three new races, new gameplay elements and tactical gadgets such as mines, interdiction abilities, deployable starbases, new ship classes and more.
The latest iteration of the dynamic combat system which will be employed by Last Stand, this mini-mod standalone enables the feature on vanilla game versions.
Posted by ManSh00ter on Oct 3rd, 2010
Here we are, the long promised version 1.0 of the Dynamic Combat mod. And it certainly deserves its own version number as there are plenty of changes contained within. So, without further ado:
Changes in this version:
1. The flight model has been tweaked to allow greater dispersal of ships during combat, as well as having a greater chance of ships doing a convincing strafing run against larger, stationary targets. That is, without slamming into them.
2. Weapon damage delineation; instead of tweaking individual weapon statistics like in previous versions, version 1.0 simply changes the damage effectiveness according to specific weapon class and target combinations, according to the formula below:
Each weapon class (anti-light, anti-medium, anti-heavy, etc.) has the following damage modifiers applied to it:
* to simulate tracking difficulties large weapons have against light and fast targets
** to simulate difficulties in armor penetration light weapons have against heavier targets
In addition, capital ships are now very resistant to damage from all weapon classes except torpedo ships, static turret defenses and other capital grade weapons. Capitals are now kings on the field, and cannot be easily countered with frigate swarms - you need either other capitals or a sizable heavy cruiser force. In turn, capital ships have higher effectiveness against all types of targets than outlined in the standard weapons eff. table above.
3. All previous changes to the weapon and armor stats have been removed. This is to bring the mini-mod in line with the existing balance of the game, as well as with the upcoming main mod release.
4. Volumetric explosions and effects mod has been stripped from this version. This is both because the existing version is outdated and to allow easier mixing with various graphic updates that are out there. The Volumetric mod itself is in the process of receiving its overhaul and a new version will be released soon.
5. Gravity wells have been increased in size roughly 200% compared to vanilla. More playing room is a good thing, especially when your ships are all over the place. Don't forget to fleet up and set groups!
And that's that for this release. Keep in mind that the release candidate A is not thoroughly tested yet and there may be some weird behavior, or game disbalance - if you notice anything of the sort, feel free to mail me about it so I can fix it.
Also, the RC A is for Entrenchment only, Diplomacy version coming soon as well.
Cheers and happy gaming!