(Above image demonstrates the new Particle Preview feature.)
DarkRadiant 1.5.0 has been released!
Have you ever thought about creating your own Thief-Style game mission?
While the both Thief and Thief 2 come with the level editor Dromed, it is often a daunting for beginners to jump into that tool and it's complexity.
The Dark Mod team knows this struggle well and has designed a mission authoring platform that is much more intuitive to new mappers and veterans alike.
The Dark Mod team is the maintainer of a special branch of the GTK Radiant level editor, called DarkRadiant. It is tailored for use with The Dark Mod but also has wide application for Doom III level editing (and even some Xreal feature support).
For more background here are some details from the DarkRadiant site:
Massive improvements have been made since development started: a good deal of the code has already been re-factored, improved or fully replaced by superior code. Highlights include the new or improved browsers for textures, models and skins as well as sound shaders. Texture Manipulation tools have been vastly improved and make seamless texturing a matter of seconds. A completely new U/V editor for patches is also included. All Inspectors have been redesigned/rewritten. Light volumes and vertices of projected/point lights are drag-gable and so on and so forth.
Dark Mod Editing
Our goal is to provide the Dark Mod fan-mission community with a capable and easy-to-use editor. To achieve this, specialized plugins are being developed to assist Dark Mod mappers with tackling the complex mission creating tasks - We already have Dark Mod-specific plug-ins for editing Stim/Response, Objectives, Difficulty Settings and Conversations.
DarkRadiant 1.5.0 Details:
Download DarkRadiant from our website: Darkradiant.sourceforge.net
Important: with this release Windows users will need to install a newer redistributable package in order to run this release:
- VC++ 2010 Redistributable Package 32 Bit: Microsoft.com
- VC++ 2010 Redistributable Package 64 Bit: Microsoft.com
As usual, please report any bugs or feature requests here in these forums, following these guidelines:
- Bugs (including steps for reproduction) can go directly on the tracker. When unsure about a bug/issue, feel free to ask.
- Feature requests should be suggested (and possibly discussed) here in these forums before they may be added to the tracker.
As probably not everybody is reading the changelogs, here is the summary of changes:
New Features / Changes
- New Particle Renderer and Preview.
- Added Reload Particles command.
- Xreal: PNG support
- Xreal: support MATERIAL_NAME shaders for ASE models.
- Xreal: added Xreal game configuration
- Xreal: configurable archive extension.
- Fixed: Some 6-sided brushes are saved as 7-sided ones to the .map file (one superfluous plane).
- Fixed: Copy & Paste doesn't work.
- Fixed: Readables editor won't let you type a space in the inv_name.
- Fixed: Crash when opening LWO when sorting textures internally.
- Fixed: DarkRadiant crashes when closing Readable editor after clicking "XData Name".
- Fixed: No bumpmaps rendered in lighting mode on newer cards.
- Fixed: Trouble exporting func_statics with ASE export script.
- Fixed: Semi-consistent crash after starting new map.
- Fixed: Description for light/fog textures does not show.
- Fixed: Clipper not caulking clipped faces consistently.
- Fixed: Light entity wireframes not updated, don't reflect actual entity, after rotation.
- Fixed: XY view crash
- Fixed: func_static part selection issue.
- Create patches in 'axis aligned' orientation.
- func_splinemover should be created with a default spline curve.
- Added Reparent primitives to context menu
- Jump to selected classname (if any) upon clicking "Choose entity class..."
Coding / Internal Design
- Enable compilation in VC++ 2010.
- After some major refactoring all UI classes have been migrated from GTK+ to its C++ interface gtkmm.
- Extend IModel interface to provide access to model verts and polys.