The primary aim of this mod is to get away from the current gameplay which for the most part involves spamming tanks. We are introducing gameplay that requires, scouting and using a variety of units to be successful. Tanks are not the do-all units anymore, instead you need artillery units to take out defenses, tanks to take out artillery units, air units to take out the tanks, and AA units to take out air units. It's basically bringing Rock-Paper-Scissors to the game which we believe makes it more challenging and interesting. We're also making the factions' abilities exclusive. By that we mean only Nod use mines (so no APC mine drops) and they are also the only ones that use cloaking technology. The same applies for GDI who use more EMP now etc. We think this better defines the play styles of the factions so that you aren't just playing each faction more or less the same way.
Some of the items we're working on and looking to add in the next version of the mod.
Posted by TalonH4wk on Mar 15th, 2009
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><xml> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE </xml><xml> </xml>
· We are looking to adjust the cost and effectiveness of tier 3 tanks (mammoths, avatars, tripods). We want these units to be more expensive and more expensive to upgrade so that they aren't as easy to spam, but if you do decide to make these units they will pack a little more punch than before. This doesn't mean they won't be vulnerable to counters but it does mean that they will be a more ominous sight when you see them coming.
· We are looking at increasing the rate at which units gain veterency so that it pays to look after your units and retreat them from the frontline when they get damaged. Right now we feel that gaining veterency is too hard to accomplish and therefore it is overlooked by most players and therefore units are regarded as disposable.
· Commando units will be tougher and the idea that we're looking at right now is to start them all with hero veterency. This will allow a hero unit to auto heal and not be a unit that you spend a lot of money on and then they die easily. They will also receive improvements to their skill sets.
· The AI continues to frustrate us in the game and for the comp-stompers out there we wanted to make the AI a little more challenging. The problem right now is that you attack an AI base only to find there are no defenses, or just lots of one kind of defense a lot of the time. Therefore we are making airfields deploy with AA guns, barracks with anti-Infantry defenses and Vehicle factories with Anti-Vehicle defenses. We will also be looking at capping some structures as the AI has a bad habit of building as many refineries as it possibly can, which we're guessing can't really help their economy that much!
· Last but not least we are looking at providing more long range artillery options. This means drastically improving the range of the beam cannon's "venom bounce", giving more options for GDI to spot for juggernauts, and Scrin will have an entirely new option.
· AA will be tweaked. We felt that the GDI's AA turret was the weakest and the Scrin's was overpowered so we'll be addressing that as well as making units like the raider buggy & pitbull more effective against air units.
We felt that the factions are more varied and interesting to play as, but Scrin are still overpowered. They are the choice of new players to the game and experienced players tend to avoid them as they are too easy to win with. This is a shame as they could be a great faction, so we are putting a lot of our effort into improving that faction. We would like to see them become more reliant on tiberium by overall giving ground units less hit points, but to balance that they will repair quicker in tiberium than they did in 1.0.
A successful scrin player will need to be much more aware of where tiberium is so that he can heal / repair. We are giving Scrin increases in speed in order to allow them to more easily retreat to tiberium and this will also give them a significant advantage if they engage enemies while still in a tiberium field.
The Mothership is being completely re-worked. We feel that it's too easy to beat AI with it as it's more powerful than a superweapon and the AI doesn't build enough AA or even acknowledge the threat of the Mothership, and human players are very rarely caught out by such a well advertised and slow moving attack. So the Mothership will have a completely new set of abilities and a new role in the game.
GDI are the faction that we felt had come the furthest from the original game and they're a lot of fun to play with now. Changes to them won't be as dramatic but there are still some things that that we want to improve. Zone troopers for example are far too easily killed by buzzers and we want to make the armory upgrades much more effective to help them deal with buzzers. Orcas will have visible chain gun fire and will be more effective against infantry. Their rockets will be an upgrade option. Overall we want there to be more upgrading options with GDI so that you can choose how to specialize your GDI force. Tanks will have the option of upgrading to railguns on a tank by tank basis in the same way as avatars currently upgrade. There will also be upgrade options for repair drones so that mammoths don't come with repair drones by default. Another item we're looking at is making the shockwave artillery clear bunkers.
Nod also received a lot of changes in 1.0 but we feel that they needed some help with power so we're hoping to introduce a new power structure that will allow them to power cloaking spikes etc. more easily. We're also hoping to fine tune the suicide options with the Liquid tiberium trucks being capped but also getting more HP's and producing a slightly bigger blast. We'll also be stealthing support air units like the aircraft that drops the mines / vapor bomb.
This is list of highlights and there are many other items that we're looking at adding. Obviously as we progress with the mod and test it, some of these items may not work as we had hoped and be dropped or changed and other new ideas implemented instead. But this hopefully provides an idea of the direction the mod is heading in.