- They have the most powerful air units in game which can quickly travel in a straight line to an enemy base and decimate it.
- They can repair in tiberium.
- Portal technology allows them to move around the map quicker than any other faction, and the actual speed on the ground makes them the quickest faction which helps them react to situations and also evade if necessary.
- They have less power requirements than other factions
- They have better tiberium storage capabilities than other factions
- Their buildings slowly self repair
- Their ground units are weaker one to one than other factions overall.
- They are probably the weakest when it comes to detecting stealth.
- All ground units heal/repair in tiberium
- Scrin aren't good at detecting stealth. Stealth detection is removed from PAC's.
- PAC's and Devastators are matched in speed.
- New defense: Mind control crystal.
- Scrin buildings are the only ones that auto repair due to their organic nature, but these structures are weaker overall than other factions..
- Scrin uses less power due to their advanced organic structures.
- Tripods can now charge their weapons with tiberium infusion.
- Conyards (drone ships) by default have an ion storm.
- New special power: Ion storm
- New special power: Portal Tunnel - build more than one, then transport up to 3 infantry units instantly between nodes.
- Buzzers can couple with harvesters
- Seeker and devourer tanks receive shield upgrade as well.
- Seekers no longer detect stealth or target air units
- Storm columns no longer target air units
- Gunwalkers detect stealth
- Disintegrators explode when run over
Added in 1.1;
- PAC's drones no longer target anything but air units, but their damage is increased
- Mastermind has a weapon and is tougher.
- Growth Accelerators are more effective but more expensive.
- Ground units are now weaker, faster and heal quicker in tiberium
- Units now upgrade with shields etc. on a per unit basis using their unit menu.
- Storm Columns are now more effective against Mammoths, Avatars and Tripods and much more effective against tier 1 and tier 2 units.
- Photon Cannons are less effective against Mammoths, Avatars and Tripods
- Buzzer hives are more effective against infantry but less effective against ground vehicles
- Has a shield upgrade option
- Has an orbit jump ability
- Has a super-scan ability
- Spots for devastators so that they can bombard from long range
- Has repair drones
- No longer has a weapon
- Can detect stealth
- Has much more hitpoints
Scrin have always been the biggest challenge for us. We believe that the Scrin in the standard game are far too over-powered. Build some Devastators and you basically travel in a straight line to an enemy base and it’s game over, especially when defenses wilt at the sight of an enemy.
We made changes to Scrin so that their ground units were weaker but quicker and repaired in tiberium, and that helped balance them, but the Devastators were still a problem even with better defenses in the mod. Also, because their air units were so effective it meant that their ground units were often over-looked. So the challenge was to somehow balance Devastators in the game and bring Scrin ground units into the game more.
There’s nothing you can really do to the Devastators directly otherwise it is just a simple nerf. Reduce their range, weapon damage or hitpoints and the unit just becomes boring or useless. It occurred to us that we should make changes so that Scrin couldn’t build devastators as quickly, therefore reinforcing them a faction who has a very strong late game but requiring more time to get there. This would encourage the use of ground units more mid-game. But how could we best achieve this? The answer was staring us right in the face for the longest time. Their buildings are organic and therefore they need time to grow rather than snap together quickly like an Ikea bookshelf. So we made the build times reflect this and Scrin in 1.2 take a lot longer to build (well we really should be saying “grow”) structures.
When we looked closely at the Scrin structures we also realized that if their unit production structures were portal based, then surely they shouldn’t have to wait for units to build in the same way that GDI and Nod build units. So units will become available to the Scrin player almost instantly if they have the funds. This seemed like a good way to offset the slower structure grow times.
The jewel in the crown for Scrin in 1.2 is the Terranexus which is a new structure that gives them terraforming abilities. They can create new tiberium fields, drastically increase the tiberium growth rate in existing ones with an improved growth accelerator, or stop tiberium growth completely in a field being harvested by an enemy. This gives Scrin a huge boost to their economy which will help them fund their air armada but it will be a slow process to get the Terranexus built.
Here’s a quick overview of Scrin’s strengths and weaknesses in 1.2;
- Organic units are weaker than their metal counterparts
- Structures take longer to grow.
- Structures are slightly weaker than other factions.
- Less power requirements
- Buzzer hives no longer require any power
- Instant unit production
- Fastest units in the game
- Tiberium healing / repairing
- Structures auto heal
- Air dominant thanks to the PAC’s
- The most effective faction for long range bombardment thanks to the Devastators
- More tiberium storage
- Tiberium field creation, new growth accelerators and growth decelerators will allow Scrin to have the strongest late game economy.
Other new items coming to Scrin in 1.2;
- Storm Columns can upgrade and receive mind control ability
- Defensive structures made available earlier for scrin
- The Terranexus
- Improved PAC’s AA abilities
Scrin are now a great faction to play as but you have to adjust how you play to be effective with them. You have to think defensively in the early game while you slowly build your base, using your foundry to full advantage.
No doubt some will see this as nerfing the Scrin but we’re trying to create a mod where each faction is different and fun in its own way yet balanced overall. Hopefully this means that at the start of a game players are really torn as to which faction they want to play as. Scrin will actually be a much more challenging faction to play as instead of being what up to now has been arguably the easiest faction, but with that challenge comes a guilt free victory if you win!