Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!
EDIT: After going back and replaying ShoC with AMK, I've revised my score of this mod upward from 8 to 9 and altered some of my pros/cons. This really is a fantastic mod and though I'd like to see the problems I listed fixed it is still an amazing mod.
+ Many of the new textures and weather effects are incredible. I particularly like the heavy fog weather effect.
+ The damage system makes firefights frantic and rewarding.
+ Most of the new weapons are exceptional, and I like the fact that some of the more exotic weapons (for example the M14) are one-of-a-kind (the way it probably would be in the Zone).
+ Ukrainian dialogue with English subs is the way this game was meant to be played.
+ The stamina system, contrary to popular opinion, is well balanced and accurate. Anybody who is criticizing it for being unrealistic needs to go take a jog with 35kg (75 lbs) on their back.
- Mutants and ambient effects in anomalies (radiation, poison, etc.) have been buffed and are (IMO) too powerful. A dog charging into you knocks out a solid third of your health.
- A lot of the vanilla meshes were not fixed. For example, the AK's ejection port is still on the wrong side. This is a major no-go for me with a realism mod.
- The Sniper class is very underpowered. 7.62 7N1 ammunition is so rare you will almost never have enough of it, so you end up using assault rifles and shotguns anyway until you can get a VSS.
My main problem with this game is really just a host of small design flaws that seem to screw up the overall game experience. There is no trader in Pripyat, but repairs now cost money - meaning that eventually you're going to run out of money in Pripyat and have to head back. Moving between zones - especially to Pripyat - is prohibitively expensive. Additionally artifacts don't seem to spawn properly for me (e.g. not at all) so I am left with few options for making money. Overall this is a great mod but a few of the decisions left me scratching my head.
Ok... MISERY is not perfect but all these people complaining about the difficulty of the mod need to realize this was made for a specific part of the STALKER community, if you want it easy play CoD or complete.
-Many new weapons and variations of each weapon.
-Great atmosphere and graphics.
-Items are no longer just "good", a military vest is great for gunfights but completely useless for hunting artifacts, each item has it's own use to the player's necessity, bringing unecessary gear from your stash will just get you killed.
-THE BEST modded effects ever, helmets, scopes, eating and even a handheld flashlight that looks like it was alredy there all along before this mod.
-Hunting in this mod is dynamic, rewarding and fun, if you always wanted to make a living out of selling mutant parts, you will probably enjoy buying your first shotgun.
-NPC looting is dynamic, you never know what sort of random trinkets you'll find in a bandit's inventory.
-Artifact hunting is more challenging, anomalies are dangerous as they should be, however, artifacts are heavy and not really that compensating, odds are you'll break even by selling artifacts due to insane armor repair costs (that is, if you don't get hit by an anomaly, in that case prepare your wallet).
-The addition of character classes makes the game interesting, however, some people who enjoy having a large variety of tools and weapons at his disposal might be a bit disappointed with class limitations.
-No optional minimap might make things a bit frustrating during gunfigths, since everything is brown you'll have a hard time telling friend from foe, on the other hand it makes being ambushed in the zone much more intense.
-As beautiful as the textures are, they overdid it with the depressive atmosphere, good luck finding a single green plant, this "sad brown" filter seems to be present in every single inventory icon as well, which makes it hard to find items in your inventory... NoMoarSpace
Looking at a lot of the reviews, I'm really really surprised how much negativity there is here. However, I think that mostly stems from the fact that people are more likely to go out of their way to complain about something than to praise it. You can see that from the fact that, although most reviews are negative, most of the votes are positive.
I have to give Misery a 9/10. The only reason it doesn't score 10 for me is because of a couple of issues (e.g. a couple of crashes, and some animation problems that haven't been fixed) but even those can be sorted with time. I could go on for hours about what makes Misery good for me, but due to the character limit - and the patience of the majority of viewers - I'm gonna just put it in quick, simple bullet points. Sadly I can't explain them much:
1. Much better visuals and audio design, certainly a big improvement over vanilla S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP.
2. MUCH bigger selection of items/weapons/weapon mods, gives the mod more depth and makes it feel more realistic and enjoyable
3. More refined mechanics that feel more realistic, e.g. the way emissions work, artifacts emitting constant radiation if not shielded properly, enemies surrendering, etc.
4. Much more of a challenge in terms of the game's economy and also the game mechanics. Health packs health slowly over time rather than instantly (and they're less effective anyway); weapons do more damage both to enemies and to you; mutants are more dangerous and therefore scarier. This game is not for the faint-hearted.
The bottom line is that Misery does a much better job than the vanilla game in one very important aspect: it makes you feel tense all the time and actually makes you feel like you're trying to survive. The vanilla game provided a great foundation with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe, and Misery has taken it to new, exciting and gritty extents.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. + Misery = one of, if not my favourite game of all time. Great job guys, keep it up :)
Lot more items and weapons
3 classes, all unique and change gameplay and add replayability
More realistic bullet physics and damage
More lore to the game
Makes C.O.P way more fun
Some stuttering when moving from one side of the map to the next
All in all I love this mod, can't play this game without it anymore. Not only does it feel like a completely different game but it makes it a billion time more fun. Nothing makes your blood pump fast them finding your way in the dark with no ammo while running from a bloodsucker. Saying that this mod makes the game intense is an understatement.
It is just a great mod that improves latest Stalker installment. Expierience of playing is much greater with this mod, because it helps you to immerse into the game beter - unlike the original game, this mod makes the world really dangerous place and doesn't give you second chances
Hard and challenging, cool graphics will suck you in to the zone, scary sounds so you will for sure sh*t up your pant and tons of perfect improvements and most of all... stuff. Gas masks, dynamic HUD, weapons, mutants, loots, equip...
Just to play. Enjoy your new amazing story.
Hard and dirty, a grim style and dark execution.
In times of happy hand holding and fluffy tutorials in pseudo-realistic titles,
an actual challenge with thought-through mechanics fulfills
the wishes held back for such a long time.
MISERY takes the place of a classic with its timeless gameplay,
the possibilities for preparations from lovingly polishing your rifle with oil to keep it in shape
to the cooking of radiated meat, hunted with the last buckshot, pack a few cigarettes into the bag,
count your bullets, take a deep breath through the dusty filters of your gas mask and greet the
most dangerous place you chose to call your new home.
Welcome to the Zone, Stalker.
For me, there are some things that Misery does truly *perfectly*
- everything related to cooking/eating, from hunting animals (mostly fleshes for bacon:), through obtaining meat chops, to cooking interface and eating itself is just brilliant and so immersive. Radiation poisoning from the cooked meat can be easily nulified with just a bit of water, so even together with the expenses for the stove and fuel it's still a lot more cost efficient than buying ordinary healthy food (besides you can't buy a bacon so..). Some people complain about not being able to walk while eating. Well, I WILL NOT EAT MY CRISPY BACON WHILE WALKING THROUGH THE SWAMP. I want to sit down, forget about everything and enjoy this temporal moment of peace and happiness. No matter if you're home, at school, at work, or in the Zone. ALWAYS ENJOY YOUR BACON. (I'm dead serious)
- second, the casual everyday items. This sh*t really got to me. I was at Skadovsk, sorting out the stuff I got from the last trip, during which I let a pack of dogs kill a fellow stalker just so that I could have his gear. So I was going through his items and I came over a "picture of a beautiful woman", while 'Turn the page' was creeping on me from downstairs. And I felt like a bad person, and never did that since (but I always shoot the bandits, always). But with that I was sold to this mod. It's just these little things that add up to already strong immersion of this game. THIS is STALKER.
- third, graphics - I really like mutants retexturing, blowouts, weather, helmet huds, and the overall gloomy mood
Those features are basically the reason for my high votes. Ofc, there are still some things that could use some tweaks
- like combat balance - you know, I don't mind going down fast, but I would also expect them to go down fast, especially after I slammed them to the chest with my TOZ34 from like five steps, and also the AI is stuttering or glitching from time to time,
- also on the stamina system, sometimes it's even unclear to me how it works or why does it drop so fast:D, or what is this "ergonomics" attribute in vest upgrades, but maybe I'm just dumb.
These are but a small imperfections that are not really dealbreaking, it's just that they could still use some work, that's all. I kind of miss some simple custom quests like hunting for moneyz, or features like a manual magazine feeding, but that's only a matter of preference I guess. Overall a great mod, so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. FOR BACON!