Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!
I have to agree with some other person that posted the review. This is more of a compilation with easy editing of certain scripts. Other than that, the only logical reason for it's popularity must be the changed interface ingame and the stylized mod page.
This mod doesn't feel like STALKER at all.
"Only 1/10? A review must be entered to justify such a low rating."
^As if blind fanboyism is going to save this mod. Let me break it down..
1. Balance is utterly ****** to hell.
(Read more if your not convinced here.)
2. NPC's are equal to T-X Terminators that actually kill.
3. Economy is none existent and your always breaking even.
4. No originality, just a compilation of mods.
5. Ugly textures to make you feel depressed.
6. Needs a high end system, can't pay for a powerful PC?
7. Game stability is questionable at best with this mod.
8. Anomalies are just another name for "One hit wonders."
9. You have the mortality of an ant regardless of class chosen and armor worn.
10. Extreme gun care required. (Russian guns are crap right?)
11. Gun variety is artificially inflated with a plethora of **** conditioned weapons.
12. Design decisions where based on a community of masochistic gamers who thought Dark Soul's wasn't making them cry enough.
13. Developers are egotistical maniacs. They screw mod and you.
14. Quick Save and god mode where obviously the only ideal testing conditions. (Not ******** you about the god mode part.)
15. False advertisement. This mod claim's it's supposed to be "unforgiving" not "stupid".
16. Destroys every bit of what made Stalker games enjoyable.
(This will kill it for purist and new players alike.)
17. This mod was meant to challenge you? It will actually make you socially retarded on family game night.
18. Mowing your lawn and scooping the **** out of cat litter to throw in the trash is more rewarding than this.
19. Those who like it, likely have married the quick save key till death or a bad save do they apart. (Or god mode.)
20. Those who thought this mod is realistic should get a psychiatric examination to see if they are still messed up from their parents beating them. Common guys, go outside, that is as realistic as it gets!
20 good reasons not to play this mod.
Down-vote me, and you will never get laid.
Unplayable due to CTD right before the intro video while vanilla CoP and other mods for it work. For this alone I would not give a 1 but if the devers do not even respond in the first place and then not caring at all since "we don't care about CTDs caused at startup by our mod" then this deserves a 1 for bad handling. And a mod that crashes and is not playable doesn't warannt anything more than a 1. Having bugs (even way too many according to various posts all over the Internet) is not a problem for me as long as you intend to fix it sooner or later. With "we don't care" though I've got a serious huge beef. Should this startup CTD caused solely by this mod is tackled I'll re-evaluate the score. Up to then it's 1 especially for bad community/bug handling.
I am aware of all the excellent features this mod provides but its just impossible for me to enjoy it.
Loading times are extrem long so be prepared to take some time to receive the extra content!
Even pressing F5 or ESC to simply quicksave or go back to the menu laggs the game out/not responds which results in waiting 2 minutes for the action to happen.
I am not occuring any serious errors or crashes except these unbelievable long "loading" times.
I dont have a NASA computer but its pretty good so I dont expect my specs to be the problem.
If this is fixed, or you can enjoy the content even with these problems this mod is just great! Spend some time with it because its not making it easy for you. Realism = Difficulty ^.^
The mod has some interesting ideas, like adjusting the character to suit certain playstyles for instance, but it does everything else poorly. It turns STALKER's immersive, beautiful world into a sea of overcontrasted browns and greys, the interface looks like someone was given Photoshop and a grunge brush pack and told to go hog wild, and a number of the weapons aren't implemented too well. The game itself is arbitrarily difficult by making ammunition extremely expensive and uncommon rather than significantly altering enemies and/or their behaviour. I can't speak for the later parts of the game, because honestly, I got maybe ten minutes in before uninstalling. I'm sure some people will like it but this is definitely not for me. I'm back on Swartz Mod now and while I do feel I'm not really being given the level of challenge I'd like, at least the scenery is nice and ammo isn't unobtanium (though 9x39 is still rare early on, which is good).
Really all I can say in favour of this is that there was clearly considerable effort put into it and some novel ideas, I just feel they were squandered.
EDIT: After going back and replaying ShoC with AMK, I've revised my score of this mod upward from 8 to 9 and altered some of my pros/cons. This really is a fantastic mod and though I'd like to see the problems I listed fixed it is still an amazing mod.
+ Many of the new textures and weather effects are incredible. I particularly like the heavy fog weather effect.
+ The damage system makes firefights frantic and rewarding.
+ Most of the new weapons are exceptional, and I like the fact that some of the more exotic weapons (for example the M14) are one-of-a-kind (the way it probably would be in the Zone).
+ Ukrainian dialogue with English subs is the way this game was meant to be played.
+ The stamina system, contrary to popular opinion, is well balanced and accurate. Anybody who is criticizing it for being unrealistic needs to go take a jog with 35kg (75 lbs) on their back.
- Mutants and ambient effects in anomalies (radiation, poison, etc.) have been buffed and are (IMO) too powerful. A dog charging into you knocks out a solid third of your health.
- A lot of the vanilla meshes were not fixed. For example, the AK's ejection port is still on the wrong side. This is a major no-go for me with a realism mod.
- The Sniper class is very underpowered. 7.62 7N1 ammunition is so rare you will almost never have enough of it, so you end up using assault rifles and shotguns anyway until you can get a VSS.
My main problem with this game is really just a host of small design flaws that seem to screw up the overall game experience. There is no trader in Pripyat, but repairs now cost money - meaning that eventually you're going to run out of money in Pripyat and have to head back. Moving between zones - especially to Pripyat - is prohibitively expensive. Additionally artifacts don't seem to spawn properly for me (e.g. not at all) so I am left with few options for making money. Overall this is a great mod but a few of the decisions left me scratching my head.
Even if this mod has a lot of nice ideas and features to improve CoP on a big way, the work they have done here is simply a mess.
And the most of the appearing bugs are not CoP-defaults, they are added by them, as a result of unclean work.
Easy to see if even the simpliest things are not working without quickfixes because of "forgotten" details.
In the end all this is by far more irritation then enjoying a game.
I know modding is a service, but in my opinion, if you do something.. do it right or let it be.
Waiting for Redux2.0 and Lost Alpha for SoC now, maybe thats gonna be a bit more professional.