Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
[2.2] Questions & opinions so far (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : [2.2] Questions & opinions so far) Locked
Thread Options
Nov 17 2017 Anchor

Hello fellow stalkers,

I'm about 20 hours into 2.2 so far. It's been a fantastic mod (as always). However, I've got some questions & opinions I'd like to share with you all:

1) So last night I was at the ranger station in Zaton and fought 8-9 merc there. I had to reload the game 4 times because few members of this merc group appeared to draw and fire their weapons at the speed of the light! As soon as they spotted me I got headshot and dropped dead. This happened 4 times in a row. Is this intentional? Because I imagine a pro shooter would take at least 1-1.5 seconds to raise his/her weapon, take aim, and fire.

2) Too many stalkers with high grade gears? Was it just me because I feel like the number of stalkers in the zone has been increased significantly compared to 2.1? Stalkers in large groups are populating most of the "hotspots" now and many of them are wearing hi-grade suits too. I keep snipe them (bandits & merc) and they keep coming back. Who fund these clowns? The game feels like PUBG game sometimes. Maybe the MDT would consider decrease stalker population while increase mutant population in the next version?

3) Knives are too fragile? My mama's 22-year-old Kom-Kom chop knife can cut through dozens of joints, legs, t-bones, and coconut shells before it requires sharpening :P

2.2 has been a great mod so far. Thank you MDT team!

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 17 2017 Anchor

You have to consider camouflage rating of your outfit when engaging enemies. The level of the squad you are facing has an impact on their abilities too. If they are better equipped, they are likely more senior/advanced squads and will react faster. Once the first NPC becomes aware of you, the word is spread instantly, and they are on full alert. They will react much faster.

What is a PUBG game?

Does your Mom use her knives chopping up mutants and cutting up armor and boots? The knives all have blunting rates stated in their descriptions. Choose the right tool for the job and it will wear better for that purpose.

Nov 17 2017 Anchor

Aye, I was wearing a bulat suit (hope I spelled it correctly) so I guess my character is very poor in term of stealth. But I was in the corner and able to let the group walk passed me a bit. As it appeared, the group didn't notice me until I fired a single round from my silenced SIG-Sniper. The next 100 milliseconds or so I was dead. I didn't even see the animation where they should have raised their weapons first ... :(

PUBG (Player Unknown Battleground) is a multiplayer shooting game where they pit 100 or so players against each other in a deathmatch map until the last player. Haven't played the game myself though. Anyway, I try to illustrate that maybe there are too many stalker NPCs in the zone(?) Kind of expect less people and abundant mutated wildlife like in 2.1

So mutants' skin are thicker than ordinary animals, got it!

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 17 2017 Anchor

Thicker and very tough. Obviously tools and weapons wear at a higher rate than IRL to emphasize the mechanic of sharpening/repair materials and differentiate between the various models.

IRT NPC reaction times, you will get used to them. You can uncheck the 'hardcore AI Aim' in the game play tab to maybe decrease their reactions/accuracy a tiny bit.

Camouflage really impacts reaction times. Poor camouflage for the time of day is a really good reason to avoid conflict during that part of the day ;) Suppressors never make shots silent, only diffuse the sound enough to make it harder to identify the direction. Also pay attention to the suppression ratings. Once you alert NPC's, camouflage goes out the window. Alerted NPC's see much further and will react very quickly. You need to one-shot kill NPC's in a group when the stragglers are not in line of sight of others in their squad, and assume if you miss that the entire squad now knows your exact location and act accordingly. Crouching also aids in preventing initial detection.

At 200m, your rifle could kill one-by-one and you may remain undetected though several shots, at 50m, almost no shot will go undetected. The WPP mercs are a few notches better than all other NPC squads in reaction times and awareness as you would expect a crack team of hired guards to be.

Nov 17 2017 Anchor

1) from my experience the camo aspect has been improved very well, propably as best as the engine allows. the biggest difference in time between the enemy aims at you and actually shoots at you can be seen in the ghillie suit. This is real fun to stealth and kill but as jasper said the distance matters. also when you safe in sight of the enemy and then reload they will know where you are. (even if they are for example walking away from you because npcs will most likely change direction after reloading) so its best to safe around a corner.

would be interesting to know if the camo is also affected by the terrain you are on (gras / concrete?)

2) yes Im pretty sure there are more npc squads around, not sure if they are all in all better equiped though. I think I have seen a pattern of sometimes 1 guy in an eco suit, and the others in combat suits, which I think makes good sense if you see it from the squads perspective. could be a coincidence too though.

I like having more npc's around, there is a lot more action going on. for example around the army checkpoint in jupiter, there are usually many dead bodys to loot.
Also one of my favourite things and especially usefull in the early game if to fast travel with stalkers "whats your buisness?" with luck you spawn somewhere where there is shooting to do and can loot from everything around you. This also works by just following squads, luring mutants to them ect. all this is more fun now with more squads around.
The hazards are mixed npc groups which can lead to you shooting at the wrong guys though.

3) I know what you mean, luckily sharpening stones are very cheap and light so always have enough on you and also some in your stashes around the map. same for dismantling gear. But trust me you always want to have a very sharp knife to loot especially controller and giants, often they have an artefact.

Nov 19 2017 Anchor

Jasper34: But the hardcore AI aim thingy has always been off lol. Guess I'll have to practice some more. Thanks, chief!

Mantis_Toboggan: Hey, thanks for the tips. I'll get some cash and try the sneaky suit out. Time to hunt some wild boars. Yeah, the variation of stalkers' gears in the zone is good and makes perfect sense. Maybe I expected Chernobyl to be teeming with mutants and not too many people (i.e. stalkers). Read it somewhere from the first game that only about 500 stalkers are presented in Chernobyl, but maybe more people have entered the zone since the first game?

Nov 20 2017 Anchor
Oddboyz wrote:

Mantis_Toboggan: Hey, thanks for the tips. I'll get some cash and try the sneaky suit out. Time to hunt some wild boars. Yeah, the variation of stalkers' gears in the zone is good and makes perfect sense. Maybe I expected Chernobyl to be teeming with mutants and not too many people (i.e. stalkers). Read it somewhere from the first game that only about 500 stalkers are presented in Chernobyl, but maybe more people have entered the zone since the first game?

I would not hunt anything lower then bloodsuckers and pseudodogs on purpose, but as I said if some stalker close by take care of that for you then its a whole different story. ;)

It depends on the map I think, it feels like jupiter has the most people, or maybe the terrain ist just like that. In Pripyat you have only hostile npc's untill you actually complete the main quest. Well and during the mission: one shot if you only kill the ECO suit dudes and not the merc leader, you will also have mercs popping up - and they are also hostile vs monoliths.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 20 2017 Anchor

There are WAY less than 500 Stalkers on the maps. There are more than vanilla COP, and when one squad is killed off, they are soon replaced with another since no environment likes a vacuum. Vanilla would remain empty once you cleared an area (boring) ;)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.