My English is not good, so I should keep my sentences short. I'm not a indie-dev, but these situation is - going plain wrong.(added: teamliquid has similar article, so it maybe more concise and read better than this for you. i already wrote steam-related problem into /r/gaming) Teamliquid.net here's some pre-facts
- Game Rating Board - Grb.or.kr / Warning: Korean Characters
Acts like ESRB in U.S. but created by government. don't have publisher corporation members. BUREAUCRATIC. And of course they got fee - for long-time-consuming-blah-blah-process.
- Publishing games without rating is illegal in Korea, with FEW exception.
(added: Only made public to on-line, no packaging - is still considered "publishing" in GRB. Found that ESRB rating is in most case, required for money-making. sorry for poor select of my words)I heard that ESRB rating is OPTIONAL...
- Some indie game devs use RPG Maker. these devs are using forum to share their games, knowledge... etc.
- I can safely say, almost all of these games were all freebies, and not made intended to be commercial.
here's recent facts, or troublesome situation...
- September 1 (GMT +9) some of devs' forums got contact from GRB. like...
- "Get your all games rated or cease posting games. Publishing unrated games are illegal. blah blah..."
- Coudn't afford the fee, forum's moderators forced to delete all of games listed in the board.
oh then how much does that cost?I looked up $$$ damn rating process fee table for 2010. original table is using korean WON but I should write US $ with, for your convenience. and GRB have plan for raising these fees every year... I'll use approx. 1175 won / 1$ today.These indie-games got open-market, "individually made" category. ah open-market game apps - GRB's making trouble here, but that's for another post, not for /r/indiegaming.here we go.Basic fee per game:
- less than 10MB - 21000 won, 17.5$
- 10MB to 100MB - 50000 won, 23.8$
- 100MB to 300MB - 56000 won, 47.5$
- more than 300MB - 168000 wom, 142.97$
AND Coefficients... (This was somewhat difficult vocalbulary for me XD)
- Network related - x1.5
- Not network related - x1.0
AND Coefficients again per genres
- Role playing games - x3.0
- Betting-related, fighting, adventure, simulation, FPS - x2.0
- Puzzle, board, sports - x1.5
- Educational - x1.0
AND Coefficients for localizing
- Non-korean localized x1.1
- Korean localized x1.0
So... someone made 105MB of single-role-playing games in Korean, for FREE. he/she has to pay 23.8 * 1.0 * 3.0 * 1.0 = approx 71.4$and he will think like - "I just wanted to make games and uploaded to some forums, for FREE! but why am I charged? why am I treated like criminal?"and I never heard that Audiosurf or Worlds of Goo got their ESRB rating first. never. (edited: my sentence above is WRONG. thx cableshaft!)here's another news post for this situation - don't click if you can't read Korean characters in your browser. not intended for non-Koreans.Inven.co.kr
- Reddit.com -