Revamp Expansion Mod (RVE) A Supreme Commander 2 Complete Overhaul / Total Conversion Mod
This is a prototype of what the research tree will look like. There are still things to add and some icons are just placeholders. The basic ideas are as follows:
1) The tree progresses from the top left and expands towards the right and down;
2) The icons on the left-most side are the tier levels: 1, 2, 3 (yes, I know the T1 level has 2 circles. That will be fixed) + minor experimentals (represented by the Chinese/Japanese character for small) and major experimentals (represented by the Chinese/Japanese character for big). I haven't added the units in those sections just yet - a few things still need to be sorted out;
3) When you unlock a Tier level, ALL the units in that Tier become researchable. You don't have to research one after another after another etc. Once that particular Tier level is unlocked, you can then research any unit at that Tier in any order you want;
4) Each unit will have 3 personalized research unlocks. These are yet to be determined what they are. Therefore, the 1-2-3 star icons are just temporary placeholders;
5) The Tier unlocks go as follows: You first unlock Tier 1. That will then let you research Tier 1 units and/or research Tier 2. Once you research Tier 2, you then have access to research Tier 2 units and/or research Tier 3 and/or Minor Experimentals. It's at this point where the game becomes significantly more diversified as people have the choice to either start researching Tier 3 units or after researching Minor Experimentals to research Major Experimentals. One thing to keep in mind is that the Tier icons are not akin to labels. You first MUST research a particular Tier THEN you can begin unlocking individual units associated with that Tier;
6) At the very bottom there are a series of 1-2-3-4-5 star research icons. These are the Class upgrades, and hence affect all units. They are for things like speed, hp, damage, build speed, rate of fire, etc. Each of these categories can be upgraded to a maximum of 5 times.
That is a nice improvement!
What are you doing to counter players withholding their research points before a battle?
And what are you going to do to counter unit upgrades making overall unit strength being hard to predict?
I'm not sure I understand your question about withholding research points. Can you explain what you mean by this?
About countering unit upgrades, since units will only have 3 individualized upgrades, they are limited in terms of what they can enhance. It wont be possible to make individual units "super" soldiers. The way they can be countered is by using the Class upgrades. For example, let's say a particular unit at T1 chooses to upgrade its damage output. To counter this, the opponent can instead choose to do class upgrades to HP and/or rate of fire. So, their T1 units that haven't upgraded anything can still pull some weight against the upgraded T1 units.
Also, this is why there are 5 class upgrades and many categories of upgrades vs 3 unit upgrades, so that one particular unit can't spiral out of control and essentially become indestructible. Also, since there are only 3 unit upgrades per unit, not all units will have individualized damage output (for example) upgrades.
By the withholding research points, i mean how will you combat players holding onto research points before a battle and then adding them on when in combat to change the situation in their favor?
recall the term strategy. The player is getting a strategical edge over you and you have to react accordingly.
Yeah there is nothing bad with holding onto research points, its just a good strategy that gives you an edge in battle over the more dumber player that did only mass random stuff :3
Well; triple post now u'v posted that comment XD
Immense Job with the research tree btw i much prefer this one :)
is it possible to change the sise of the research tree window? currently it looks really stupid
also are individual experimental units have to be researched before being able to build them ala regular units?
I agree that the window looks stupid. However, in order to try and get everything to fit, the icons are actually half the normal size, and they still don't fit. In order to mod the research window so that everything is enclosed properly, it will entail modding one of the game's data files directly that is ~1 GB in size. Therefore, we would have to distribute the mod as an additional 1 GB just to slightly improve the UI. Maybe we'll do this once the mod is finalized. But until then, the ugliness of the window is going to have to stay until then.
To answer your second question, yes, the idea is to have the Experimental unlocks work the same way as the T1-T3 regular units, i.e., you have to first research them before you can build them.
This comment is currently awaiting admin approval, join now to view.
they are likely to do the most bandwith effective they can do.
and anyone who can pull up such a mod is likely to know what an diff patch is
That, looks, awesome. Can't wait to see this in action.
Will the specific unit upgrades include things like the addition of anti air to a unit? Also, I would like to know if you are planning for all the unit upgrades to have visual changes to the unit, allowing for easy recognition of a units characteristics. This is something that vanilla does very well and I would like to see it in your work. Thanks for all the effort you have put into Revamped so far, and I really enjoy your work.
Usability counts, beauty comes later.
...>.<... xD awesome! :D
Hmm if only i could test this tree.....i would sure want to figure out the new metagame and approximate game length to End game options.....
ITS OVER 9000!!!
what are the starting units for the nations.
oh gosh,i think you guys are not making a mod,you guys are making a new game.
You are not logged in, your comment will be anonymous unless you join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) which we encourage all contributors to do.
2000 characters limit; HTML formatting and smileys are not supported - text only
A prototype of what the research tree will look like.