Redsun 2020 follows Joseph, the newest Nanotech agent developed by UNATCO.
It's got a lot of bugs, the plot is incoherent and there's bad humor all around.
But I was immediately attracted to the architecture, the soundtrack and above everything - the atmosphere. From the city atmosphere of Otemachi-ku and Shinjuku to the underground mall at night... nostalgia really swells up when I reminisce this mod.
But nostalgia is very strong with this one. I've previously played through this mod in 2004, 2007 and 2010. But on my latest playthrough (in 2015), after hours of playing mods like Deus Ex: revision, did I realize how unfinished and unpolished this mod really is.
So it could have been better. From what I heard (I only played this mod in 2004 after it had finally come out), its development was long and not without controversy. The burning yakuza city underground was quite silly and the plot REALLY falls apart at the end, the office hell level is rather frustrating with its emptiness and at one point you even get shrunk...
... so let's say that the first quarter and a half (more or less up to Kabuki-cho, even though the bank level is also rather weak) is - in my honest opinion - quite good Deus Ex gameplay and the remainder is... just there, if anything.
Still, I highly recommend this mod to any Deus Ex player! :]
It is not a bad mod, it is good but there is some flaws that gives this mod a kind of "empty". I will do a division of the good and bad points.
Good facts :
- The story. The idea of a Deus Ex mod in Japan was one of the most original idea. The sub-plots are cool and well scripted.
- The atmosphere, am I the only one who was shivering during the level of the closed mall occupied by yakusas with almost no light, a really dark music and in the basement there is some karkians hiding in the dark ? Same thing where I had to kill one of the yakusas leaders...
- The music
Bad facts :
- The lack of completions of certain levels,
- Some glitches that could have been easily erased.
- They could have added voices.
- Some times, there was the emptiness where I was really wandering what I had to do.
That's all I had to say
Well, A good mod but a really gloomy and looking-like-unfinished one. But in the end, the mod deserves to be one of the DX Mod that had to be played by all fans.