Rainbow Six: Zombies - version 1.2 coming soon
Here's a rundown on some of the changes you can expect to see in the newest update that I've been working on:
1) I have changed the theme of the zombies' appearance. They no longer look like Call of Duty's Nazis, but now have a modern R6 look. Although the new models are lower resolution than the CoD ones I had been using, there are a few reasons why this change is a big improvement:
- The old models were not suited for the older game engine, and so caused lag when you reached higher levels.
- The new models fit the storyline and the general Rainbow Six feel better than the WWII Nazis did.
- It's better to feature the team's own work (the new zombie textures) rather than just use work from a professional studio (Treyarch's zombie models).
2) Weapon balances have been changed. Shotguns, light machine guns, and sniper rifles are now far more effective against zombies. Shotguns especially do massive damage against all types of zombie including the juggernauts. The reason for this change is that traditionally, there have been a few weapons that always seem to do more damage, due to their portrayal in movies and other zombie games. Because of this, the community of players expects to gain a tactical advantage with certain weapons, and the mod doesn't feel right without it.
3) Players now have a health system that allows them to take multiple hits from zombies. Zombies will decrease your health incrementally with each touch, until they injure and finally kill you.
4) Huge new blood effects have been added to the mod. When you use a more powerful weapon (such as a sniper, shotgun, or lmg) or you get a headshot, expect to see some lovely fountains of blood.
5) All the bugs have been ironed out of the zombie climbing system. Maps can now be built to have zombies spawn outside the player area, then climb a fence or barrier to attack the player. Most maps will not do this but it's nice to have the option.
6) I've added a new powerup: Speed Booster. This powerup will add a 20% boost to your speed. The increase is very small and hardly noticeable, but if you manage to grab two or three of these you will definitely enjoy an advantage.
7) I've done some more bug fixes and gameplay balance tweaks. For example, the juggernauts have been made more difficult. Some multiplayer bugs have been eliminated.
In this video, you can see the new zombie look, as well as some cool blood effects and the health system. Also notice the player speed; before recording the video I picked up three speed powerups.
No ETA yet on the update, since my to-do list is longer than my arm. But keep checking back because it will be soon!