In 2011 I started browsing the latest graphical/sound quake mods, putting together a pretty build using LordHavoc's darkplaces, rygel's ultra textures packs, the reforged packs and a variety of mods, to play quake original. Anyone can do the same, however the hassle comes when you have to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the mods working as playing the game. So I put together a nice-looking build of quake original and it's expansions called epsilon for everybody to get into, without getting into the hassle of config files and searching to find every available mod then getting them to work! The main quake build also includes the original shareware first quarter of the quake game - it is easily upgraded to the full game by dropping in the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from the full game's id1 directory (more details below).
This excellent expansion/6-map pack is brought to us by the talented vIE888, who has graciously allowed me to adapt it to work with the epsilon packs. It's a very difficult, tricky and puzzle-y sort of set, bound to test your brains. Even the first level is pretty tricky to get through (hint: you need TWO tridents, not one)! Another hint: the end sequence text is a joke (as explained on the moddb page, there is no "commercial version"...). Enjoy! And make sure to thank vIE888 on moddb! Full installation instructions and notes on the website or in the expanded description below.
* Quake Epsilon build
(or any modded darkplaces build with (at a minimum) the quake reforged bestiary skins, shambler castle pk3, rygel texturepack (or QRP texturepack) and dp pretty water mod in your id1 folder).
* Quake Epsilon Mission Pack 1 addon (will run fine without it, but I've designed this to inherit some graphics, settings from the MP2 addon)
* Quake Epsilon Mission Pack 2 addon (will run fine without it, but many textures will look blurry)
* the full commercial version of quake (ie. full-version .pak files copyed into your id1 directory)
* NOT required: full commercial version .paks for quake mission pack 1 and 2
1. Unzip it into your main quake directory.
2. You need to select your graphics mode if you're running an epsilon build (regardless of whether you've already done this before, you need to do this every time you install a mission pack/third party map-pack, in order to set it up properly):
Windows: run (double-click) epsilon - change graphics quality.bat
Mac/linux: run (double-click) epsilon - change graphics quality - linux and mac
3. Run the game:
Windows: (double-click) quake - the myths.bat
Mac: (double-click) quake - the myths - mac
Linux: (double-click) quake - the myths - linux x64 glx
(If you're using a 32-bit version of linux, or want to use the dedicated or sdl versions of darkplaces, edit the bash file.)
1. Not quite a bug, but to get into the room opened by the silver key on the 6th level, you have to jump over the tiny bit of wall at your feet. Otherwise you might assume you're being invisibly blocked. Not immediately obvious.
2. The last level will not function with the current 'stable' release of darkplaces (20110628) - objects get stuck. If that is what you're using, you need a more recent autobuild. If you're using the most recent epsilon build, you don't need to worry about it.
3. Damn this is hard.
Differences from original the myths package:
2. Some older models stripped away.
3. A few models added courtesy of Quake Reforged, fragger, lightning hunter, the Shambler castle team/OoPpEe and Seanstar.
4. Handy startup batch files added.
5. Original quake flame models added back in (otherwise any build using the small mod compilation and these maps will have no flames in some places).
6. Start map renamed to start.bsp so the user can start from the menu.
7. .ent and .rtlight file generated for start map to properly differentiate from id1 directory start map.
8. My .lit's and .dlit's added.
9. Alt-dragon and mini-dragon (wizard) skins from Seanstar used.
10. All files extracted from .pak in order to override any files in id1 directory - particularly the myth's progs.dat, which is required to complete the game.
11. Inherits other settings and graphics from mission pack 1 epsilon build if present.
12. Made a rudimentary rtlights for level 3 so that you can see correctly with "Full" lighting enabled.
13. Now has it's own unofficial soundtrack! (except first level, for various reasons, including atmosphere) by Ochre.
Sources and thanks to:
The Myths: Moddb.com
Alt-Monster skins by the Quake Reforged team: Quakeone.com
Alt-dragon and wizard skin from Seanstar: Quakeone.com
Fragger Skins: Quakeone.com
Lightning hunter's Classic Grunt: Quakeone.com
Modified fragger/reforged gremlin: Quakeone.com
Ochre's Fictional Soundtrack: Ochremusic.com
Christopher Leary (Ochre) has kindly provided me with the unused tracks that he made for the halflife 2 mod, "Metastasis". I've looped and joined them into a soundtrack for The Myths, along with two of my tracks for the opening level and between-level music.