In 2011 I started browsing the latest graphical/sound quake mods, putting together a pretty build using LordHavoc's darkplaces, rygel's ultra textures packs, the reforged packs and a variety of mods, to play quake original. Anyone can do the same, however the hassle comes when you have to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the mods working as playing the game. So I put together a nice-looking build of quake original and it's expansions called epsilon for everybody to get into, without getting into the hassle of config files and searching to find every available mod then getting them to work! The main quake build also includes the original shareware first quarter of the quake game - it is easily upgraded to the full game by dropping in the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from the full game's id1 directory (more details below).
The talented Matthias Worch has allowed me to port/package Beyond Belief for the epsilon builds. This is a seminal and classic 7-level (8 if you count the secret level) quake map/mod-pack, with great attention to detail and excellent construction. Loads of fun. Full installation instructions and notes on the website or in the expanded description below.
The talented Matthias Worch (http://www.worch.com) has allowed me to port/package Beyond Belief for the epsilon builds.
This is a seminal and classic 7-level (8 if you count the secret level) quake map/mod-pack, with great attention to detail and excellent construction.
Loads of fun.
* Quake Epsilon build
(or any modded darkplaces build with (at a minimum) the quake reforged bestiary skins, shambler castle pk3, rygel texturepack (or QRP texturepack) and dp pretty water mod in your id1 folder).
* Quake Epsilon Mission Pack 1 addon (will run fine without it, but may use some textures from MP1)
* Quake Epsilon Mission Pack 2 addon (will run fine without it, but I've designed this to inherit some graphics, settings, sound and music from the MP2 addon)
* the full commercial version of quake (ie. full-version .pak files copyed into your id1 directory)
* NOT required: full commercial version .paks for quake mission packs 1 and 2
1. Unzip it into your main quake directory.
2. Run the game:
Windows: (double-click) quake - beyond belief.bat
Mac: (double-click) quake - beyond belief - mac
Linux: (double-click) quake - beyond belief - linux
Differences from original beyond belief package:
1. Multiple beyond belief packages combined.
2. Some older models stripped away.
3. New models added courtesy of Quake Reforged, fragger, ogro and others.
4. Handy startup batch files added.
5. Original quake flame models added back in (otherwise any build using the small mod compilation and these maps will have no flames in some places).
6. Start map renamed to start.bsp so the user can start from the menu.
7. .ent and .rtlight file generated for start map to properly differentiate from id1 directory start map.
8. LocknLoad's retextures and .lit's added.
9. My .dlit's added.
10. All files extracted from .pak in order to override any files in id1 directory - particularly beyond belief's progs.dat, which is required to complete the game.
11. Inherits other settings and files from mission pack 2 epsilon build if present.
12. Now has it's own unofficial soundtrack courtesy of myself and Baz (Barry Gibson).
13. Script added to override QR bestiary for LightningHunter's Chthon skin.
14. Fixes for map 1 and map 6.
15. Some updated textures
16. Lava corrected for some areas
17. Some rtlighting improvements/corrections by myself
Sources and thanks to:
Beyond Belief: Worch.com
LocknLoad's Beyond belief .lits: Quakeone.com
LocknLoad's Beyond Belief retextures: Quakeone.com
Fragger Skins: Quakeone.com
My modified fragger/reforged skins: Quakeone.com
Sterne's teleport texture: Quakeone.com
Lightning hunter's Classic Grunt and classic Chthon: Quakeone.com
Ogro/neogenesis/me skins: Quakeone.com
My Quake Reforged Bestiary dog mod ("black")
Bloodvengeance's texture replacements (converted to dds by myself) and lava fix, seven's map fix: Quakeone.com
Xolve and Baz's soundtrack (Sections of soundtrack taken from the following two albums: xolve.bandcamp.com and onefatalpunch.bandcamp.com)