1952... World War II has ended, now it's time for science! Aperture Science!
This is where you step in test subject, we're doing a sleep experiment. You can go to sleep and we'll monitor you. The next day you can go back home, with some nice cash to spend...
... at least, that is what they told me. Apparently something went wrong though. I feel that I'm being lied to by that nice voice that is re-assuring me that nothing is wrong. Why is the portrait of the CEO showing a much older version than I remember? Why do I have this weird gun? What happened? I want to go home!
Portal Stories: Mel is a mod consisting of 21 maps with various themes. Linked together by a strong custom story. Full of custom voice lines, models, materials and challenging puzzles. We estimate players to spent 15-45 minutes to spent on each level, making the total time playing the mod 4-12 hours, depending on experience. Most levels consists of various puzzles with various difficulties. The difficulty will always be in the puzzles. The execution will never require any quick reactions.
we have been working hard on this mod for quite a while, ideas have changed. We feel that we have come up with a better story than we originally planned. We have some rich characters, with good voice acting to support them. Mel will be one character, Virgil will be another one and who knows who else we might find along our journey? To get some ideas about the story of the mod check out the first two paragraphs of this page, that contains all the information we want to give you for now...
There is a total of 21 maps in the Portal Stories: Mel mod. They are all highly polished and brain teasing. Without becoming frustrating. There are various themes in the maps that will all have their own type of puzzles and looks. Transitions between the themes are story driven and might come as a surprise from time to time.
The current status of the mod:
At the moment we are working very hard with a team of four very talented people on the mod. We are currently trying to finish up the puzzle design, finalize the levels and polishing them. At the moment we have:
We hope to release in Q1 2015
As you can see; we have a lot done, we have a lot more work to do as well. But we're working hard on getting you this awesome mod as soon as humanly possible. As for custom materials and models, at the moment I don't have a proper list of them but we have quite a lot of them!
The people who make this mod possible:
The release date:
We've had quite a few, quite ambitious ideas on release dates before. But as a matter of fact: we don't know when it'll be done. We're still working on it quite intensively, making tremendous improvements in the graphics, the puzzles and the story telling. Take a look at the earliest screenshots and the newest. It's from the same map, but the graphics are far from the same. We want to bring you the best and we hope you have the patience to get the best.
People that helped us a lot:
Inactive team Members:
If you want to contact us about anything with the mod: go ahead:
Hello Test Subjects!
After about 3 years of development we're finally at the last stages of development of the mod.
We're incredibly happy to announce that we are now aiming for a release in Q1 2015.
Because of recent updates to portal 2 we will also be able to bring Portal Stories to Mac and Linux!
Last year in August we created our very first limited closed beta of Portal Stories: Mel.
There was a lot of positive feedback, but there were some levels that were a problem or just not meeting the quality of other maps.
For the last 10 months we've been very busy working with the feedback we've gotten:
* The mod is now 21 levels instead of 15!
* The intro is heavily expanded upon, to make more room for story and make the whole thing way more immersive.
* The first major story level got a major rework. It's prettier than ever and helps tell the story way better.
* Past Power (the demo map) has been reworked again from the ground up to perform better, play better and tell the story better!
* The style transitions have been created.
* The clean test chambers have been edited so they are very interesting to look at.
* The map "Paint Fling" has been rebuilt from the ground up, making the puzzle more interesting and way nicer looking.
* One confusing clean map got cut and replaced by a new, awesome map, reusing some of the ideas of the original.
* The second transition between styles gotten a very visually impressive extra puzzle.
* Two destroyed puzzles that weren't working or had performance problems have been reworked from the ground up.
* Replaced a destroyed puzzle with a new, better one.
* Heavily expanded upon the concept for the finale.
All our maps are now at the standard we want our mod to be and we're incredibly proud of this.
So what's left to do?
* Get a new, up-to-date, trailer!
* Get a new, up-to-date, demo for you guys to play!
* Finalize some of the unfinished areas in the intro
* Finalize the script
* Get voices recorded
* Get our custom music recorded
* Add the final story lines to the maps
* Lots of play-testing, to make sure we got all the bugs
* Do a final Detail pass, to make sure all our maps have the visual fidelity we want them to have
* Check the optimization, to make sure the mod runs as smoothly as possible
This is quite a bit of work; but we have confidence we can get this work done in time for a Q1 2015 release!
I hope you all are as excited as we are!
- The Portal Stories Team.