Aperture: Science Innovators. 1952. In the early days, Cave Johnson's science team tried to get working what they could. Everything did not go as well as they'd hoped though. Unfortunately for Mel, she became part of a faulty test. Waking up years later in a vastly changed, destroyed Aperture, and being told where to go by an impostor Cave Johnson, her mind races with questions. Who is this Cave Johnson impostor? What happened to me? And what happened to the facility and staff?
Portal Stories: Mel is an upcoming free to play mod based in the Portal universe. It tells an entirely new story with a new protagonist, personality core, and a new secret character in development.
· 20+ Puzzle and exploration filled maps
· New Story Complete with New Dialogue
· Original Soundtrack
· New 1970's themed Portal Gun
· New Textures, Models, Particle Effects, and Sound Effects
· Free to Play (You must own Portal 2)
Get ready for an incredible adventure taking place in the gap between Portal 1 and Portal 2 with Portal Stories: Mel.
Portal Stories: Mel is a mod consisting of 21 maps with various themes, linked together by a strong custom story. We estimate players to spend 15-45 minutes to spent on each level, making the total time playing the mod 4-12 hours, depending on experience. Most levels consists of puzzles with varying difficulties. The difficulty will always be in the puzzles. The execution will never require any quick reactions.
We hope to release in Q1 2015
As you can see; we have a lot done, we have a lot more work to do as well. But we're working hard on getting you this awesome mod as soon as humanly possible. As for custom materials and models, at the moment I don't have a proper list of them but we have quite a lot of them!
The people who make this mod possible:
With Voice Acting by
Inactive team Members:
If you want to contact us about anything with the mod: go ahead:
Hello Test Subjects!
After about 3 years of development we're finally at the last stages of development of the mod.
We're incredibly happy to announce that we are now aiming for a release in Q1 2015.
Because of recent updates to portal 2 we will also be able to bring Portal Stories to Mac and Linux!
Last year in August we created our very first limited closed beta of Portal Stories: Mel.
There was a lot of positive feedback, but there were some levels that were a problem or just not meeting the quality of other maps.
For the last 10 months we've been very busy working with the feedback we've gotten:
* The mod is now 21 levels instead of 15!
* The intro is heavily expanded upon, to make more room for story and make the whole thing way more immersive.
* The first major story level got a major rework. It's prettier than ever and helps tell the story way better.
* Past Power (the demo map) has been reworked again from the ground up to perform better, play better and tell the story better!
* The style transitions have been created.
* The clean test chambers have been edited so they are very interesting to look at.
* The map "Paint Fling" has been rebuilt from the ground up, making the puzzle more interesting and way nicer looking.
* One confusing clean map got cut and replaced by a new, awesome map, reusing some of the ideas of the original.
* The second transition between styles gotten a very visually impressive extra puzzle.
* Two destroyed puzzles that weren't working or had performance problems have been reworked from the ground up.
* Replaced a destroyed puzzle with a new, better one.
* Heavily expanded upon the concept for the finale.
All our maps are now at the standard we want our mod to be and we're incredibly proud of this.
So what's left to do?
* Get a new, up-to-date, trailer!
* Get a new, up-to-date, demo for you guys to play!
* Finalize some of the unfinished areas in the intro
* Finalize the script
* Get voices recorded
* Get our custom music recorded
* Add the final story lines to the maps
* Lots of play-testing, to make sure we got all the bugs
* Do a final Detail pass, to make sure all our maps have the visual fidelity we want them to have
* Check the optimization, to make sure the mod runs as smoothly as possible
This is quite a bit of work; but we have confidence we can get this work done in time for a Q1 2015 release!
I hope you all are as excited as we are!
- The Portal Stories Team.