The purpose of this mod profile is to facilitate development of a technical audiovisual reboot of OpenArena. Releases will be committed back to the official game profile when playability has been reached.
The idea is:
- Lower poly models in the 1.5k range for players at the maximum, with LOD meshes to go even lower (and this will be ENFORCED)
- Weapons will be redone and focus on distinction first, matching their ammo/icon colors.
- Consistent, manga-style artwork for clear shapely silhouettes, expressive personalities and level-of-detail adaptability. What was an April fools joke in 2007 is now a reality, since apparently despite tastes, it may work out better in theory on a fast-paced game with lots of movement and action.
- Texture usage on models kept to a minimum, as in using little surfaces for more efficient batching for such APIs as OpenGL ES. Player models use a maximum of 1 texture, for example. Weapon projectiles, muzzleflashes and explosions will share the same texture as well, per weapon.
- New menu, designed for 16:9, supporting more options as well as being simplified with less options for the less advanced.
- Skeletal animation using the MDR format (and not IQM, I have my reasons for this)
- A smaller file size. Skeletal animation and ogg sounds will contribute greatly toward the idea compactness.
- Compatibility with old mods and maps will still be retained as much as possible.
- Reading TVTropes for weeks got me very inspired for creativity. Before you ask, no, this game isn't going to be deliberately troperiffic, putting every trope in there.
- Believe it or not, there will be LESS skin exposed this time around. Characters will be dressed more like a fighter, and less like a fetishwear beachgoer. The major reason for this is team colors.
Requirements will be lower: 4MB video hardware is now targeted! GLSL and modern gfx features will be optional.
OpenArena admittedly, is a technical and artistic disaster. I consider that a bug and I hope to resolve it by any means necessary. I hope this reboot leads to a more playable game for everyone without the need to resort to "pro bright skinz"
So far, tools that are used to build the artwork:
Blender 2.49 - for exporting weapon MD3s.
Blender 2.61 - for exporting player and player animation IQMs.
Noesis - for producing MDR and/or MD3 files out of separate player and player animation IQMs in batch operations, also for producing muzzleflash MD3s.
- Four animated, skinned player models (2 male 2 female)
- most prevalent weapons modeled and skinned
- basic items, powerups modeled and skinned (quad, armor, ammo)
- CTF models
- Eight animated, skinned player models (3 male 3 female 2 robots)
- All weapons modeled and skinned (including Missionpack weapons)
- Missionpack objectives models (harvester, overload, one flag)
- Fourteen animated, skinned player models (6 male 6 female 2 robots)
- All powerups, runes, modeled and skinned
- Portal powerup finished
- Menu implemented
- All planned player models skinned and animated of equal gender
- Merge all OpenArena map texture media to project
- Merge all bot personalities
- All original quality maps from OA merged into project
- New main OA version for Desura, apt-get, etc.
For more developmental detail, see this wiki article on asset progress. It may/may not be up to date as i'm sometimes too busy to update it. Development also occurs in the OA3 subforum at the OA forums.
This project is still licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. Providing sources for contributions will be mandatory.
We're sorry, but no downloads were found here.
If you would like to share files with the community, sign up and you can.