Hello, hi! I hope you guys have enjoyed 2014, and are looking forward to another year of Morrowind Rebirth! What follows is a summary of the changes in...
Morrowind is the third game in the series known as the ” The Elder Scrolls”. You might be familiar with the previous games in the series, such as "Arena" and "Daggerfall", but most certainly you're well aware of Morrowind's sequels: "Oblivion" and "Skyrim". Morrowind hit the store shelves back in 2002, and became an instant hit among the entire gaming community. It was not only embraced due to its stunning graphics of that time but also for the intriguing storyline, the immersive gameworld and its depth. Some RPG enthusiasts also regard Morrowind to be one of the best role-playing games of all time, sharing the title with other fantastic games such as ”Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn”, ”Neverwinter Nights” and ”Dragon Age:Origins”.
The game takes place on the island of Vvardenfell, which is a province in Morrowind. Due to the nature of the game you can actually do anything you like, without getting punished for it. Perhaps that's also the main reason to why it's still so popular, more than 10 years after its release. Morrowind is a great game, of that can be no doubt.
"Rebirth" sprung to life in 2007 with my mod-series - ”New Cities Project”, which basically can be described as town- expansions of different cities such as Seyda Neen, Caldera and Gnisis. As this project went on, I had some sort of revelation - why not merge all the plugins, and create a massive overhaul of sorts? What you see here is the result of that process; A full concept modification, or overhaul if you will, that will transform Vvardenfell into something very special. Down below you can view some of the changes, but expect to see a lot more in-game.
Please keep in mind that this mod is a work in progress, meaning that things can and will change. For those of you who want more information about the changes in this modification, please refer to the following changelog (outdated): Moddb.com and/or watch this video for a quick general overview: Moddb.com
New encounters and places to visit
Explore the Island of Vvardenfell once again, but keep in mind that things are not what they used to be. New packs of bandits and villans have made it harder to travel throughout the wilderness, new dark cults have formed and it's harder than ever before to survive in an already dark and hostile enviroment.
Rebuilt cities with loads of details
Cities are no longer an empty shell with a few NPCs wandering about. Discover how things might have turned out if the developers had more time to improve on their creation. Expect a massive increase in detail including new traders, NPCs, houses, shops, Inns and an overall feel that cities are actually "alive".
More than 20 new creatures to battle
Encounter new vicious creatures such as the mighty Draugr Deathlord, the chilling Frost Monarch or the charming Daedra Seducer. Beware, these foes are not to be taken lightly!
New weapons, armor and misc items
Battle your way through Vvardenfell with a vast array of new weapons and armor, both normal ones that complement sets already present in-game and uniques' that are far more powerful.
New music, splashscreens and main menus
Included are new tracks, suited for both battles and for exploration, 11 new beautifully crafted splash screens, and two new main menu screens. These additons are optional, and not needed for the mod to function properly.
Better landscapes with less seams and floaters.
Do you have a problem with floaters, seams or just that some areas look and feel ”boring”? Well no more. With Rebirth I've tried to eliminate these issues, giving each area a unique look without overworking it. There's also far less seams and floaters which obviously will make the gameworld a better place to live in.
Balance tweaks and bugfixes
Fixed a large number of floaters, reduced clipping meshes, corrected miss-aligned objects and fixed some script/text bugs. Also tweaked settings, spells, weapons, armor, misc items, merchants etc to make the game more balanced and enjoyable.
Bugs and other issues
It's important that you, the players, provide me with feedback and support. Without it I might not be able to track down bugs introduced by Morrowind Rebirth. You're also welcome to report issues found in vanilla Morrowind. Post your bug-reports here Moddb.com or send me a personal message.
Morrowind Graphic and Sound Overhaul and Morrowind Rebirth
Is Morrowind Rebirth compatible with MGSO? That depends! There are some things you need to do in order to avoid issues (though you may still experience some issues). Start by downloading MGSO, then click the installer and follow the instructions until you reach to "custom option"-screen. Now keep in mind that you need to tick the "custom mod" option for each flora region. You will also need to deactivate grass by choosing "no grass" for both Vvardenfell and Solstheim. Last but not least. Do NOT tick "Animated Morrowind". It's not compatible with Morrowind Rebirth.
When you've completed the installation, please continue with Morrowind Rebirth. Extract the files to your Morrowind root folder as stated in the Morrowind Rebirth readme. If you're told to overwrite any files, press "no" (I've had a few people reporting that pressing "yes" might cause issues). There's also five plugins included in the MGSO archive that need to be removed: "Texture Fix 2.0.esm", "Poorly Placed Object Fix 1.2.esm", "Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta (BTB Edit).esm", "Windows Glow" and "Animated Morrowind". That should be it.
Old Save Games
A lot of people ask me about save game compatibility between patches. It's actually not a problem if you use "Wrye Mash". So what's Wrye Mash and why should you get it? Here's a short description from the uesp wiki "Wrye Mash is a general purpose utility for managing and repairing mods and savegames. Currently it is the only tool that systematically prevents NPC doubling. It combines multiple mod-management capabilities making it one of the most strongly recommended utilities for both modders and players". Download the program here:http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Wrye_Mash, and be sure to check the readme too (which can be found at the same page).
Morrowind might be an old game but this doesn't mean that your old laptop can run Morrowind Rebirth without any issues. In some areas such as Balmora you will get fps drops if you don't have decent computer. If you're using a lot of texture replacers it might be a good idea to remove some of these to increase the overall performance. If you're using MGE or MGEXE you might want to reduce the distant statics detail, remove some shaders or skip the fancy fog effects.
Installation and requirements
Please read this article if you are new to mods: Moddb.com
Morrowind Rebirth is a huge modification and will not work well with a lot of other mods, especially those that alter landscape or add new buildings. There's no list of specific mods that work with Rebirth, but the most popular ones like "Tamriel Rebuilt" and "LGNPC" should work just fine (minor issues). Mods that add or alter dialogue should work well too. If you have any other questions regarding mods and compatibility, let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.
Do not use "Morrowind Rebirth 2.9 - Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta [Rebirth Edit]" included in the Morrowind Rebirth archive along with "Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta", "Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta [BTB Edit]" or the "Unofficial Morrowind Patch Project". Also note that "Texture Fix 2.0" and "Poorly Placed Object Fix v1.2", "Windows Glow", and "Animated Morrowind" are not compatible with Morrowind Rebirth.
* Removed ownership from Percius Mercius' chests so that you are no longer considered a "criminal" for chosing to accept your reward after finishing the quest "Kill Hard-Heart".
* Included a fix for the Chuzei Helm, which wasn't properly aligned on the z-axis, making it look wierd on the player and on npcs.
* NPCs "cattle_imp_f01" and "cattle_imp_m01" was set to race "Nord" instead of "Imperial".
* Removed barter and repair options from Dagoth Fervas.
* fabricant_summon, fight: "90" -> "50".
Morrowind Rebirth Fixes
* Removed two, rather wierd, sources of "dark" light inside the Seyda Neen lighthouse. I also adjusted the lighthouse door so that it doesn't clip with the wall.
* Ivramie Sarandas in Tel Naga didn't wear her armor, even though she had several pieces in her inventory.
* Reduced Scamps running speed, cause they were way to fast for their animation to play properly.
* Removed a missplaced spawnpoint from the Red Mountain Region (shore creatures).
* Moonmoth Legion, Guard Tower: Removed lock from the trapdoor.
* Removed trading services from "Agaran", who's in Ebonheart.
* Angus Macrina in Pelagiad no longer sells broken stuff.
* Improved path grids in Ebonheart, Caldera and Khuul.
* Fixed some scrolls which had wrong weight.
* Fixed several floaters in Caldera..again.
* "Last Wish" now has an enchantment.
* Landscape fixes and improvements.
Morrowind Rebirth Changes
* The player will now regenerate a small amount of health every 2 minutes (1-2 points). It's not much, but at least you don't have to run to the alchemist all the time.
* Moon-and-Star enchantment changed from: fortify personality 5 points to 15 points and fortify speechcraft 5 points to 15 points.
* Face of Kagrenac enchantment changed from: fortify personality 10 points to fortify intelligence and enchant 15 points.
* Revised a few lines of dialogue to reflect that summoned creatures no longer have a soul value.
* Rebalanced damage output of most fire/frost/shock/poison spells (slightly lower damage).
* Dwemer barrels, drawers etc now have a slighly lower chance to hold rare loot.
* Medusa's Gaze (Paralysis) spell duration changed from 15 seconds to 6 seconds.
* Paralysis enchantment duration changed from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
* Paralysis spell duration changed from 5 to 3 seconds.
* Removed all changes to the athletic skill.
* Re-enabled invisibility for spellmaking.
* Crown of Torment
- Drain Endurance 10 points
- Drain Strength 10 points
- Reflect 25 points
* Removed and replaced a handle texture attached to two Telvanni doors, with one that doesn't appear streched.
* New improved meshes for a large number of misc items, including redware pottery, dwemer kegs etc.
* New and improved meshes for Dwemer weapons and armor (updated version of an included mod).
* Velothi platforms now have textures that matches other velothi buildings (check image section).
So.. I posted a new trailer the other day. If you're new to Rebirth I urge you to check it out. You can also watch it over at youtube: Youtube.com
As we all know there's annual Mod of the Year Awards here at moddb, and guess what.. Morrowind Rebirth reached top 100! With that said I want to thank everyone who voted, it means a lot to me! Now another 9 days of voting begins, and I hope you want to help Morrowind Rebirth reach the top (well.. one can dream!).
That's it for this year. I wish you all a Merry Christmas! See you again next year!
Highest Rated (8 agree) 10/10
subtle changes making Morrowind a completely fresh experience
I wandered around for a short while, not having played the game for years and I couldn't quite put my finger on it; but it just felt as if though the whole game-world had changed
simply amazing accomplishment
Dec 11 2011, 5:26pm by Lord_Santa