Mideast Crisis 2] (MEC2) is a total conversion for 'Command and Conquer 3 - Tiberium Wars' set in the near future, letting you use modern technology (such as the Abrams, F-35 and Hind) alongside future technology (such as Drones, Airships and Medibots) in a conflict ranging from Jerusalem to Beirut.

Report article RSS Feed 2008 Upcoming Mod of the Year Winners

After 114,000 votes, you have chosen this years best upcoming mod.

Posted by INtense! on Feb 28th, 2009
Event Coverage

Everyday, ModDB's front page fills with news of recent development updates for projects on every platfrom. Many mods have recognized ModDB as the #1 contributor to the well-being of the community around their mod. The gathering of both gamers and developers that make up our audience and the easy accessibility to them have been the main tenets behind ModDB's success.

The players' choice awards were designed to gauge which mods and indie games hold the most clout among ModDB's community. 2008 saw a large number of quality projects come to fruition, with yet many more to see an eventual release in 2009. The mods listed here are the top five choices ModDB members are anticipating. We've already seen one release since the close of voting (Mideast Crisis 2) and there's a very good chance we'll see the rest release sometime this year.



Honorable Mentions

We would like recognize the mods Black Mesa (Half-Life 2) and Mechwarrior Living Legends (Crysis) who both polled extremely strongly and would have made the top 5. However, because each has already made this list in past years, they are ineligible from making the top 5 again in this category.

Surface Tension Promo Catapult in the woods


5.Third Age
Medieval 2: Total War

Third_Age wrote:'Third Age - Total War' is a total conversion modification for Medieval II: Total War that brings you into the world of Middle-Earth. The Production has been going since March 2008 and the mod is currently well under development and boasts a variety of new features:
Play epic and strategically demanding battles with the armies of middle earth and there respective heroes. An extensive playable campaign map of middle earth featuring locations taken straight from Middle Earth Lore. 12 unique factions, including Gondor, Rohan, High and Silvan elves, Dwarves, Eriador, Dale, Isengard, Mordor, Rhun, Harad and the Orcs of the Misty Mountains. There is lots more to discover including Improved AI, unique sounds, music, movies, custom artwork amoung many other new features. Nearing the last stages of development, with an active community, the Third Age is a must have for all fantasy and Lord of the rings fans alike.

Falls of Rauros Isengard Preview Isengard Preview


4.Mideast Crisis 2
C&C Tiberium Wars

Mideast_Crisis_2 wrote:"Mideast Crisis 2"(MeC2) is a total conversion for "Command and Conquer 3: Tiberian Wars" by Isotx as the sequel to its "Command and Conquer: Generals - Zero Hour" conversion "Mideast Crisis". Isotx teamed up with Derelict Studios, in which the staff for MeC2 is largely composed out of core team members from past SAGE engine mods such as; Blitzkrieg 2, Halogen (now known as Asylum), Mideast Crisis and Rise of Rome. Features include 3 distinct factions; Israel Defense Forces, the Guardians of Islam and the UN Peacekeepers which you can play in both multiplayer and singleplayer spanning maps (and missions) from Beirut to Jerusalem. MeC2's gameplay focuses on occupation warfare within cities using 3 types of resources; money (from occupation taxes), fuel (from oil derricks and gas stations) and special ammunition (from ammo crates). We're also bringing back secondary resources in the form of; embedded reporters, settlements and hacking.

February MEC2 Screenshots GOI T-90 February MEC2 Screenshots


3.Renegade X
Unreal Tournament 3

Renegade_X wrote:Renegade X (formerly known as Renegade 2007) is a mod dedicated to recreating C&C Renegade in the new generation engine, the Unreal Engine 3. We all believe the Command and Conquer series is a very special one, and its fans have been following its games for over a decade now. C&C has been one of the most successful videogame series in the RTS Genre. Our modding team believes that C&C Renegade is truly a hidden gem in the FPS genre.
C&C Renegade's specialty was its multiplayer mode, because it was not mindless killing like most games. A player was thrown into a battle as soon as he joined a server, in which teamplay was the only way to win. The game revolves around a war between the Global Defense Initiative, and the Brotherhood of Nod. Each faction would have their own base of operations consisting of buildings. A team had to work together to destroy the enemy base, while keeping theirs intact. By simply switching engines, our team will have fixed many of C&C Renegade's faults. The original game had many problems such as bad netcoding, poor graphics, glitches, etc. Our main goal is to bring this great gameplay to the masses, all the graphical enhancements is merely just icing on the cake.

Nod Engineer ingame on Field Renegade-X Vehicles 2009 New Years Update


2.Neotokyo
Half-Life 2

Neotokyo wrote:Neotokyo takes place in and around a fictionalized Tokyo approximately 30 years in the future. Mankind has begun to fuse with technology. Government and corporate corruption have transformed Tokyo into a deadly dystopian nightmare. After a near-successful military coup by ranking members of Jinrai, the National Security Force (NSF) is formed - answering directly to the Prime Minister, it's mission is to investigate and eliminate all threats to Japan, both abroad and at home. The initial core of the NSF is made from an exodus from within the intelligence branch of the military. With this betrayal begins the war in the shadows between the NSF and Jinrai. Neotokyo is a first person shooter that aims to provide a visceral & realistic combat experience in a rich futuristic setting.

NT Jitte_Short Weapon Preview NT_Gensai Map Preview NT NSF Recon01 Preview


banners


1.Dead Before Dawn
Left 4 Dead

Dead_Before_Dawn wrote:Dead Before Dawn features Crossroads Mall as a replica of the mall in the movie, Dawn of the Dead. Originally created for the HL2 Mod, No More Room in Hell but has since been undergoing major changes to be ported to Valve's Left 4 Dead. The campaign sports various locations from the movie, including:
  • The Crossroads Mall
  • Andy's Gunshop
  • Anna's House
  • The Park
Dead Before Dawn Poster Crossroads Mall Crossroads Mall


Post comment Comments  (250 - 268 of 268)
NoFinka
NoFinka Mar 2 2009, 1:09am says:

I love the discussion with maps packs and mods haha, can you not call a mod in theory just a game with modified and/or new material from another game, and usually the game it takes thing from is used as a medium to run this other game so really the original game is more of an engine for the "mod". Or is it because it uses the games modified material can it be considered a mod because in that case a map pack is a mod.... just putting the theory out there

+1 vote     reply to comment
BunnyJen
BunnyJen Mar 2 2009, 7:01am says:

I don't really think anyone has a valid argument saying that this doesn't deserve the win based on the fact it is only a partial mod. Everyone has different tastes and I wouldn't have chosen it myself either, however, it is MOD OF THE YEAR. MOTY never distinguished between partial conversions and total conversions. It is simply ALL types of mods no matter how big or small.

There are some very childish and snidey comments in here. Instead of being nasty about it and complaining why not accept that this is how it is and nothing has broken the rules this year. Instead, why not be more productive and suggest alternations you think might improve the award categories next year.

0 votes     reply to comment
I_am_a_Spoon
I_am_a_Spoon Mar 2 2009, 9:39am says:

How did the zombie campaign win? It's just an add-on to Left 4 Dead, not a complete conversion or anything!

+1 vote     reply to comment
BunnyJen
BunnyJen Mar 2 2009, 11:35am replied:

Lol your name is very fitting. :P

0 votes     reply to comment
TOP-Proto
TOP-Proto Mar 2 2009, 11:57am says:

well done all. Thanks to those who voted for Tactical Assault :)

+3 votes     reply to comment
Mkilbride
Mkilbride Mar 2 2009, 2:39pm says:

No More Room in Hell has re-surfaced and claimed that Dead before Dawn must remove all Assets, textures, and props, that came from the mod. Essentially GUTTING the map pack. This shows even further proof of how little work he has done, and how now it doesn't matter that he won, because he can't even continue. :P

+3 votes     reply to comment
MrTambourineMan
MrTambourineMan Mar 2 2009, 4:29pm replied:
Quote:Congrats Darth Brush.
Just make sure that there are no NMRiH created assets in it, as we're still alive, and using those props and textures, thanks.

It's a little different than you claim, ain't it ?

-2 votes     reply to comment
Mkilbride
Mkilbride Mar 2 2009, 6:02pm says:

Forum.neotokyohq.com

Read the second page of the thread. You have Devs from Zombie Panic, NT, and No More Room in Hell discussing it. Clearly, Darth Brush has done quite a few naughty things and deserves no respect.

Darth Brush...How can I say this nicely. He took Last Stand and Harvest, both maps that I aided in the creation of the layouts with Mobius years ago, for NMRiH. He made them. And gave them both to Zombie Panic Source, after we supported him. He also took Crossroads mall from us, with content created by our team (A lot of the ads in the map and the sort are references to NMRiH team-members). Now, Zombie Panic Source has released 1.5 with OUR Harvest map, and they're just now giving me Last Stand back. It's been a complete disaster, in my opinion. But yes, that was me. And I'm standing by that decision. - Straight from a Dev of No More Room in Hell(PM on their official forums)

+3 votes     reply to comment
MrTambourineMan
MrTambourineMan Mar 3 2009, 2:49pm replied:

Well, why couldn't you post this info in the first place ? Or why did the devs raise their voices now, DBD has been on moddb for long enough, and if this is true, and if they'd write to admins it would have been banned...

-1 votes     reply to comment
StephanBotha
StephanBotha Aug 4 2009, 6:47pm replied:

This is funny how only one side of this story is told. The other "team" members who helped creat the mall are all part of the current Dead Before Dawn team like General Vivi and Reko. So get your facts in order before posting biased comments/posts from people who have a grudge against others.

+1 vote     reply to comment
Mkilbride
Mkilbride Mar 3 2009, 3:49pm says:

I didn't post it in the first place because I didn't have it.

They weren't aware of this, to be honest. Also, InZane said that Darth Brush refuses all contact with the team on the matter. It appears he just up and bolted with some finished content...cutting all ties.

+2 votes     reply to comment
MrMattWebb
MrMattWebb Mar 3 2009, 10:05pm says:

Wow. Once you read all 6 pages of comments you realized how ****** up all this turned out. Better luck to the moddb'ers next year! >_>

+4 votes     reply to comment
Mars_3K
Mars_3K Mar 5 2009, 10:53am says:

Dead Before Dawn? Seriously? WTF?

:-/

+3 votes     reply to comment
kin37ik
kin37ik Mar 6 2009, 7:59am says:

id like to put in my 2 cents, and i can tell you in all honesty, i would not call a map pack a 'mod' as such, as all it is it just new landscapes, nothing more nothing less

mods, however, are an entirely different category altogether, of course for mods, teamwork is required, a strong leader, everything you want to do with the mod planned, get some programmers, sound engineers, modelers. blood, sweat, tears and many hours get poured into mods to create something great for communities, not that im saying you dont pour hours of work into mapping, but mapping still does not equate to the amount of work that goes into a mod

sure, maps do spur people in to playing the game for longer and to add that certain 'thrill' if you will call it that, but there is only so far you can go with maps and calling maps anything else but 'maps' is pretty much describing it wrong, and is just downright stupid.

Maps arent 'Mods', they are just worlds, terrain, a new surface if you will.

Programming, New Models and weapons, new effects, new sounds, plus the maps, now that is a mod.

+4 votes     reply to comment
shortmarine
shortmarine Mar 13 2009, 5:28pm says:

Black Mesa 'would' of won lol. neotokyo looks great

+1 vote     reply to comment
koddak99
koddak99 Mar 17 2009, 10:23pm says:

A Map Pack..............

+1 vote     reply to comment
Fr3EdOm
Fr3EdOm Apr 5 2009, 3:58pm says:

NOOO RENEGADE-X SHOULD HAVE WON!!!!

but seriously, nice job to all the mods who did such good work this year. Keep em' comin!!!

+1 vote     reply to comment
Túrin-Turambar
Túrin-Turambar Dec 9 2009, 5:08am says:

Go Third Age!!!

+1 vote     reply to comment
Post a Comment
click to sign in

You are not logged in, your comment will be anonymous unless you join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) which we encourage all contributors to do.

2000 characters limit; HTML formatting and smileys are not supported - text only

Icon
C&C3: Tiberium Wars Icon
Platform
Windows
Developer
ISOTX
Contact
Send Message
Official Page
Isotx.com
Release Date
Released Feb 22, 2009
Mod Watch
Track this mod
Feature
Browse
Features
Report Abuse
Report article
Related Mods
Dead Before Dawn (Left 4 Dead 2)
Dead Before Dawn Left 4 Dead 2 - Single & Multiplayer First Person Shooter
MidEast Crisis 2 (C&C3: Tiberium Wars)
MidEast Crisis 2 C&C3: Tiberium Wars - Single & Multiplayer Real Time Strategy
NEOTOKYO° (Half-Life 2)
NEOTOKYO° Half-Life 2 - Multiplayer First Person Shooter
Renegade X (UT3) (Unreal Tournament 3)
Renegade X (UT3) Unreal Tournament 3 - Single & Multiplayer First Person Shooter
Third Age - Total War (Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms)
Third Age - Total War Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms - Single & Multiplayer Real Time Strategy
Related Games
C&C3: Tiberium Wars
C&C3: Tiberium Wars Single & Multiplayer Real Time Strategy
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Single & Multiplayer First Person Shooter
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead Single & Multiplayer First Person Shooter
Medieval II: Total War
Medieval II: Total War Single & Multiplayer Real Time Strategy
Unreal Tournament 3
Unreal Tournament 3 Single & Multiplayer First Person Shooter
Related Groups
2008 Mod of the Year Awards
2008 Mod of the Year Awards Official event with 208 members
ISOTX
ISOTX Developer & Publisher with 70 members
Left 4 Dead Mods
Left 4 Dead Mods Developer & Publisher with 125 members
Radi-8
Radi-8 Developer & Publisher with 7 members
Totem Arts
Totem Arts Developer & Publisher with 8 members