This is a sound design project that I have built to improve my understanding of creating audio for games - unfortunately, this is not a game.
A late update on recent activity... Sincere apologies!
Posted by Calamity_Jones on Mar 1st, 2012
So... I promised weekly news updates... In order to prevent riots in the streets, bloodshed and general mayhem, here's two weeks worth of news:
Regarding the Minster: The outside of the model is now finished, and ready for texturing. To that end, I've visited the real building twice, but am yet to take a photo from which I can make a satisfactory wall texture. I've tried to find free textures which resemble the stonework of the real building, but no no avail. This building is, as I've said, very important, as it is will be the major landmark of the city, something that any player would presumably approach as soon as they see it. Consequently, it must look good. It'd be an insult to the building upon which it is modelled if it doesn't!
I've taken well over 200 reference photographs of the building now, many of which inside, and shall begin modelling the interior when I get time. For now, my focus is texturing the building's exterior.
Regarding Textures: This has been my main focus over the past two weeks, downloading masses of images from various websites in order to produce textures. I initially began working at a standard size of 1024x1024, but later deleted my work and upped this to 2048x2048 - I've made sixteen tiling textures of this resolution so far, and have many more in the pipeline. It's a time-consuming process, as I've attempted to demonstrate in my latest workflow (more on that later), but the results so far have been good. It remains to be seen how severely these resolutions will affect performance, but I'll be able to make optimisations - I'm learning new things constantly.
Regarding Workflow diagrams: I must stress that I am a Music Production student - I am not studying a degree with anything specifically related to video games. I am doing this as a final year university project, and as such have to document everything that I do. The idea behind the "Workflow Diagrams" is to show a non-specialist how I make various things without technical language. This will, of course, help my lecturers, who know more about microphone recording techniques, composition, music theory and sound editing than normal mapping and 3d mesh optimisation...
My plan was to have as much of my non-music work finished by the end of February, but that's not happened. I am, however, making progress.
There will be a release in or before May.
Of some description. :P
Here's the three Workflows I've made so far:
My Swedish friend said I'll never make my deadline... I'm willing to work hard and do this, just to prove him wrong :P