Simplex is a sister mod of Complex. It will bring your gaming experience to a whole new level by showing you for the first time how the gap between the strategic way of thinking in Complex and the tactical one in other mods like Path To Victory can be bridged, unleashing the real potential of both Complex and PTV, and of course, the Homeworld 2 engine itself!
First off, I'd like to say that this is a beautifully crafted mod with a lot of great ideas that build upon its foundations (the Complex mod). Unfortunately, I feel like this mod is ultimately broken in the current state. Let me list the pros and Cons so that you understand:
1. strong unit designs provide a diverse and unique selection of units and a massive selection of weapons with which to blow up your enemies.
2. great level design, lots of unique and interesting maps with awesome sky boxes (though a few could use higher resolution images).
3. Stations have been upgraded to include a better selection of self defense weaponry.
4. Over-all stunning graphics
1. Far to many fighter/bomber class ships that can easily wipe your starting force. The damage tables need some serious work here.
Merc bombers and fighters will absolutely destroy your civilian stations as the hiigs. No amount of upgrades will change this. Same issue with the Kadeshi missile drones (or whatever they're called) and I've read a lot about the Vagyr's OP sperm boat (swimmers or whatever).
2. Some of the sky boxes cut in and out of focus as a result of either screen tearing or because of glitches.
3. Ship health is in need of work as is the armor system.
4. Ship speed - hi, I'm a mother ship that turns as fast as a fighter and moves at light speed. To the creator of this mod, what were you thinking?
Ultimately, unit balancing is non-existent.
"Simplex is a sister mod of Complex. It will bring your gaming experience to a whole new level by showing you for the first time how the gap between the strategic way of thinking in Complex and the tactical one in other mods like Path To Victory can be bridged, unleashing the real potential of both Complex and PTV, and of course, the Homeworld 2 engine itself! "
No it doesn't do any of this. There is horrendous lag unless settings are set to minimum once you hit mid game - though this can be avoided by playing the less scenic maps. Further more, there is no strategic think outside of spam a few OP units and rush the enemy before they rush you and wipe your starting force. Of course this means that there is no tactical thinking either. If you want tactics and strategy, stick to complex which is unfortunately plagued by a never ending need for more shields and missile spam which renders frigates useless.
Thus, this is a brilliant idea. Don't get me wrong, I like this mod and will still play it - in the hopes of getting a game where the AI doesn't spam OP units and wreck me from the start (it likes to ignore your defensive units). But those who play need to really consider the reality of this mod before giving such high praise and those who are considering whether or not to play should be aware of the broken state of the mod.
I will edit this once issues are resolved and I really hope they are - I love what this could be and for what it does successfully.