Shortly after I last posted here about the development progress I went through my never ending to-do list for Heroes Unleashed and tried to estimate a time frame for completing what I had planned to include in the next release. I quickly came to the decision to throw out some of the yet unfinished content to get the update out the door a lot sooner, because otherwise it could have easily taken another year. Here are some victims of the (temporary) cut:
- almost no progress in (re-)scripting of campaign missions
- left out many unfinished new maps, weapons, vehicles, and characters
- additional TEAM and SOLO game types not yet implemented/included
Although I trimmed the update content a bit, I believe there will be quite enough in the new release to make it worth your while. In fact there is so much new and changed content that there won't be an update patch this time, simply because it would actually be larger than the full download, as so much content has been added and/or changed:
- New and improved game types (over 100 total for SP/MP combined)
- Non-campaign maps feature random missions (no simple firefights)
- Heavily improved enemy AI in SP/COOP game types
- Improved score system (e.g. better stealth/detection)
- Slightly improved friendly AI
- Better external ballistics with more realistic bullet penetration
- 25 new maps, city/desert/jungle environments etc. (175 total)
- Over 50 new weapons (e.g. DSR 1, Mk14 EBR, SG-552, WA 2000, KSVK)
- Innovative new weapon zoom
- Over 1,000 equipment kits
- ACU uniforms and new accessories for Ghosts
- New marksman character
- Additional Ghost team soldier characters (new appearance)
- Additional characters for opposing force, civilians, etc.
- Reworked and streamlined multiplayer restrictions
- New sound dynamics
- New UI (menus, HUD, command map, PDA, etc.)
- New intro video
- Loads and loads of rebalancing, adjusting, fine tuning, retexturing
- Better widescreen support
- Better compatibility with 3rd party mods
- Better stability and performance (especially on low-end hardware)
- All reported bugs fixed
- And much more...
The Heroes Unleashed expansion pack now weighs in at about 6 GB installed and consists of over 50,000 files and folders. Even with the highest possible compression the full download is about 1.5 GB in size, so I'd wanted to split it in parts to make downloading a little easier for those on a slower connection, but the ModDB server wouldn't accept the parts.
Oh yes, before I forget, the new version is released... today! Hope you enjoy!