Half-Life: Dreamcast is a PC port of the unreleased Sega Dreamcast console version of Half-Life developed by Gearbox Software originally slated for release in late 2000. The Dreamcast version possesses many unique differences compared to the original PC game and Gearbox's later PlayStation 2 port, including modified levels, exclusive NPC models and props not seen anywhere else, adjusted difficulty, and a host of sly Dreamcast references hidden throughout, making it a worthwhile curiosity that any true Half-Life fan would want check out. This PC port allows the game to run as a Half-Life mod on Steam.
Prepare to run, think, shoot, and live once again in the Dreamcast experience you've never experienced!
• Different Maps - The map alterations range from minor geometry fixes and lighting adjustments to entirely revamped areas. Several locations have been redesigned with performance and gameplay in mind while entirely new rooms have been added in some places to introduce another obstacle or puzzle to overcome. One entire level was even cut! Can you determine the missing map?
• Different Models - The Dreamcast version is host to a number of exclusive models not seen in any other version of Half-Life, including the High Definition pack and the PlayStation 2 port. Can you find the hidden VMU and Half-Life Dreamcast disc?
• Revamped Menu - Included is a new splash screen, menu background, menu color scheme, and menu sounds to closely emulate the Dreamcast's fancy interface.
• High quality soundtrack - Emulates the CD quality music used in the console version, overriding the default 48kbps mp3s on Steam.
• Tweaked Difficulty - To accommodate the difficulty of playing with a controller, Gearbox suitably rebalanced the monster spawns as well as enemy health and damage values.
• Password Notifications - Although the password system itself cannot be ported, all password messages that appear in normal gameplay have been brought over.
• The Little Differences - Too small to be noted in a bullet point, but true Half-life fans should be able to spot these in a heartbeat when they see (or hear!) them.
Valve Software - Developing Half-Life
Gearbox Software - Developing the console port
Joachim Barrum - Half-Life GamePro cover illustration
PC Port Mod Team:
Revenant100 aka Marphy Black - Porting, copy+pasting
Barnz - Feedback, technical support, historical research
Besli - Master of the model archive
Video Trailer Mirror on YouTube:
In light of the new Linux, Mac, and SteamPipe additions made to Half-Life on Steam, a required update was made necessary for the mod. Hence, version 1.1 of Half-Life: Dreamcast is now available to add full compatibility with the recent Steam changes. Due to the nature of this update, a single patch is not possible. Be sure to delete the previous version of the mod before installing 1.1!
Head to the download section now or simply click the link below:
Be sure you have Half-Life on Steam installed!
If you encounter issues such as scripted sequences not working, chances are your saved games from the base Half-Life game are conflicting with the HL: DC mod. This can occur even if you don't load these saved games. To address this problem, go to your Half-Life save game directory ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\ [SteamName]\half-life\valve\SAVE ) and either delete all files you find there or temporarily move them to a different folder. You may need to disable Steam Cloud synchronization for Half-Life to prevent Steam from automatically redownloading the saved games.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
No downloads were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the download list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.