Apologies to those who may be getting impatient, but another week of testing is needed. It's not long, and it's all in the name of quality. The reasons for this are numerous: real life intervening, plain misjudged estimation of completion and some fairly recent feature creep, take these new AI features for example:
- New semi-elaborate AI post-combat searching sub-state: Enemies will search the area more elaborately, open nearby doors, check hide points, and potentially raise the alarm or throw flares. Some may also stay behind and wander the area when everyone has cleared off.
- NPCs now throw gas grenades into vents.
- NPCs now react to flares more elaborately.
- Cloak NPCs sometimes turn it on when seeking, if they think they saw you.
- AI now shoot through glass.
- NPCs no longer block bullets/projectiles/other NPCs/the player beyond half way through their dying animation.
...in addition to efforts by the community such as the ConEdit project (fixing all of the original game's conversation bugs), just a little more time is needed to ensure flawless polish.
Furthermore, GMDX's weapon moddeller that recently joined the team left due to personal reasons and a fair amount of work had to be scrapped/reverted to retain consistency. If you've played GMDX before and understand what has been accomplished, and what is to be further accomplished with version 9.0, you will know this is merely a minor setback.
JULY 8th, mark it on your calendar. Set an alarm. This will be the one.
If you just can't wait any longer, you can sign up for the latest beta build. Send an email to GMDXv8.email@example.com requesting beta access. You can never have enough testers.
'till the 8th