CHAPTER 2 IS IN DEVELOPMENT! You're Gary. You recently got invited to a party by your close friend Nicholas. The party is hosted by a man named Thomas, who you hardly know anything about except that he's one of Nicholas friends. Later at the party, you're having a blast! The party is great, but maybe a little to great since you passed out after having a little to much to drink. While your asleep, thanks to some terrible nightmares, you wake up in the middle of the night, and notice that something's not right...
Great mod, but another one that i found focused a bit too much on trying to get you to wet your pants, and not on making a great story. This is one of a few mods that does a great job with the horror ( creepy, tense atmosphere combined with unique, effective scares), yes this mod has all that, but other than the scares, and gameplay, most other areas of the mod are lacking.
The plot is somewhat unique, but not very involved. Notes are far and few between, there aren't very many interesting revelations or plot twists and Gary (the player) doesn't really have a main objective up until right near the end. The voice acting was pretty good, and there are even a few "cut scenes" but I still felt like the story itself could have had more detailed.
Creativity was an issue. Other than a few animations, this full conversion mod doesn't really have anything new about it. Yes its got custom audio, but any mod can have that, and 95% of the content is from the vanilla game and the rest, directly from White Night. For a full conversion mod, I expect a new experience, this mod did not give me that. If you told me that this was just a basic Amnesia mod, and I didn't know any better, I wouldn't question you.
And finally, the last 30-45 minutes were tedious to get through. Not only is that the point where the gameplay is starting to get repetitive, but the developer chose that part to spawn a monster around every corner. There were at least 10 monsters in a area where there should have been no more than 2. It really got frustrating. By the time got to the end, I was just glad it was over. This ultimately is what ruined the experience for me. Even with the above mentioned stuff, i would have given this a ten because of how scary it was, and how the gameplay was very good up until that point, but that part made it impossible to justify a perfect score.
Overall, this is still an excellent mod, with some great scares, an intriguing if not complex plot and some very engaging gameplay up until the last 2 sections.
Amazing. this was a great mod with an emphasis on scares and atmosphere which are brought out by the sounds and music.I definitely believe that this is one of the top 5 scariest mods out there. There are unfortunately a few small issues that prevent me from giving it a 10:
- lack of story: still there but most of the time it feels like i was just wandering around dark hallways completing random puzzles
- Content/ lack of originality: For a full conversion mod i expect more than just a new light source, a few custom items, a cool launcher and new sounds and music (which can be put in even a normal cs). I expect a new experience and this mod didn't really give me one. The levels were nice but fairly bland and the atmosphere never changed so i always knew what to expect and most of the scares, puzzles and environments were almost exactly like those of the original game. I simply expected a bit more creativity
- Boredom. I usually don't get bored playing horror games but because of the stuff listed up before,as well as the fact that this was one of the longer amnesia mods, near the end of the mod it seemed like i was just going through the motion and i wasn't engaged any more and just wanted it to end
Overall this is still a creepy, scary, and overall well made mod but it does lack some originality in most departments but it's redeeming qualities, still more than make up for it. If all you care about is getting scared, i cant recommend this enough.
Love this mod, definitely one of my favorites.
- Voice acting is superb, something very hard to find in Amnesia custom stories.
- The story is interesting, albeit a little generic so far with the rich-man-creates-horrific-monsters theme, but this may change as more chapters are released and the story is fleshed out.
- After the prison sequence, the number of monster encounters is a little too high for my taste; in the final version of the mod, a tweak of monster encounters might be a good idea to consider: too many encounters goes from being scary to being more of an annoying hindrance for the player.
- In the final chase sequence, when you are forced to look at the Brute as it bursts down the door and begins to race at you, sometimes the Brute can get way too close before you are allowed to run, causing your instantaneous death as he beats you with his huge, sharp murder-stick. Here's an idea to consider: have the door be burst open but then turn the player toward the corridor and have the "RUN!" prompt (don't let him watch the Brute walk out toward him). Seeing the monster coming toward you, in my opinion, isn't as scary as running for your life with NO idea where the monster is: if it's RIGHT behind you, or a few feet behind you.
Story (so far): 8/10 - Very promising but somewhat generic at this point in time. A few grammatical and spelling errors here and there but nothing you guys couldn't fix with some proofreading.
Atmosphere: 9/10 - Nice level design and lighting, but don't be afraid to try new things!
Scares: 9/10 - Interesting scares such as hearing the two men talking and seeing the Grunt walk across the banister into the room to kill them.
Voice Acting: 10/10 - Both Gary's and Thomas' voice actors (forgive me, their names slip my mind) are superb. I could literally feel the demented, ****** up joy in Thomas' voice as he revealed his "perfect creation" to Gary.
Overall: 9/10 - Totally recommended.