CHAPTER 2 IS IN DEVELOPMENT! You're Gary. You recently got invited to a party by your close friend Nicholas. The party is hosted by a man named Thomas, who you hardly know anything about except that he's one of Nicholas friends. Later at the party, you're having a blast! The party is great, but maybe a little to great since you passed out after having a little to much to drink. While your asleep, thanks to some terrible nightmares, you wake up in the middle of the night, and notice that something's not right...
Amazing this was a great mod with everything you could want from a cs as well as a emphasis on scares and atmosphere which are brought out by the sounds and music. There are unfortunately a few small issues that prevent me from giving it a 10:
- lack of story: still there but most of the time it feels like i was just wandering around dark hallways completing random puzzles
- Content/ lack of originality: For a full conversion mod i expect more than just a new light source, a few custom items, a cool launcher and new sounds and music (which can be put in even a normal cs). The levels were nice but fairly bland and the atmosphere never changed so i always knew what to expect and most of the scares, puzzles and environments were almost exactly like those of the original game. I simply expected a bit more creativity
- Boredom. I usually don't get bored playing horror games but because of the stuff listed up before,as well as the fact that this was one of the longer amnesia mods, near the end of the mod it seemed like i was just going through the motion and i wasn't engaged any more and just wanted it to end
Overall this is still a creepy, scary mod but i warn it does lack some originality in most departments but it's redeeming qualities(WHICH ARE MAINLY THE ATMOSPHERE AND SCARES) are better so i give this a 9
Love this mod, definitely one of my favorites.
- Voice acting is superb, something very hard to find in Amnesia custom stories.
- The story is interesting, albeit a little generic so far with the rich-man-creates-horrific-monsters theme, but this may change as more chapters are released and the story is fleshed out.
- After the prison sequence, the number of monster encounters is a little too high for my taste; in the final version of the mod, a tweak of monster encounters might be a good idea to consider: too many encounters goes from being scary to being more of an annoying hindrance for the player.
- In the final chase sequence, when you are forced to look at the Brute as it bursts down the door and begins to race at you, sometimes the Brute can get way too close before you are allowed to run, causing your instantaneous death as he beats you with his huge, sharp murder-stick. Here's an idea to consider: have the door be burst open but then turn the player toward the corridor and have the "RUN!" prompt (don't let him watch the Brute walk out toward him). Seeing the monster coming toward you, in my opinion, isn't as scary as running for your life with NO idea where the monster is: if it's RIGHT behind you, or a few feet behind you.
Story (so far): 8/10 - Very promising but somewhat generic at this point in time. A few grammatical and spelling errors here and there but nothing you guys couldn't fix with some proofreading.
Atmosphere: 9/10 - Nice level design and lighting, but don't be afraid to try new things!
Scares: 9/10 - Interesting scares such as hearing the two men talking and seeing the Grunt walk across the banister into the room to kill them.
Voice Acting: 10/10 - Both Gary's and Thomas' voice actors (forgive me, their names slip my mind) are superb. I could literally feel the demented, ****** up joy in Thomas' voice as he revealed his "perfect creation" to Gary.
Overall: 9/10 - Totally recommended.