by Sizer on Jul 6th, 2014
As you have noticed in the past weeks, server activity has been on a sharp downward slope. Despite our best attempts at rekindling interest, we have been unable to correct course and we now risk complete desertion. We have therefore concluded that we needed to significantly change our gameplay focus and design in order to better answer the community’s desires.
Those sweeping changes are altering the core of the experience we are providing with Freeworlds, which is why we wanted to first expose them to our community so that we may receive feedback on them. We’re doing this for you guys, in the hope that we get more players and create a more enjoyable experience for everyone.
We hope that our plans make you excited, and look forward to your reactions.Note that we do not have a timeframe for this as of yet. The feedback you guys will provide us will let us gauge interest and viability, and we will then be able to get cracking. We’re not ready to throw the towel just yet, and we hope that you will want to join us in the near future!
UPDATE: We have updated some parts of this plan. You can find this update HERE.
Part I - Refocus
- Players are no longer reliant on other players to enjoy the mod
- Players are no longer restricted in what they can do or have
- Players are no longer forced to take orders from other players
- Players can join up with friends
- Players have multiple means of achieving the same goal
- Players are no longer forced to play in a way that is not enjoyable to them
- We no longer have player leaders
- Players can join any number of factions they wish, without human intervention (aside from Jedi/Sith)
- Players are immediately full members and have access to the complete ship roster
- Capital ships are no longer constructed, they are instead requisitioned
- This process requires players accumulating requisition points on their characters, allowing them to move up to a better ship of their choosing
- RPs can be accumulated through actions such as gaining influence for your faction, destroying enemy ships, etc.
- RPs may not be shared or traded
- Starter ships are removed and replaced with their faction’s corresponding main bomber and fighter
- New starter loadout with a basic capital ship (corvette) per faction
- More diverse choice of starting trader loadouts
- All trader factions are completely independent of the main four factions
- Upon death, the capital ship is lost, but the RPs are not
- You’re given a basic ship again
- You don’t gain back the RPs from your ship
- Players can form fleets (capitals) or squadrons (fighters), which are essentially clans
- We provide subforums under each faction and let the clan leader control acceptance, but do not enforce multiclanning or anything
- Influence works as before, but is undirected; players individually decide what to do and where to go
- Trading is purely a money-making process
- Surplus capitals can be bought for a lot of money (destroyer and below)
Part II - Events & Roles
- Player interaction is no longer required to create enjoyable situations
- Players are no longer disturbed/annoyed by NPCs
- Players and NPCs participate in the same metagame
- Players have more things to do
- Creation of an AI director
- When players engage in specific behaviors, AI director reacts by spawning appropriate response
- Traders moving around in space without escorts >> spawn escorts
- Smugglers moving around unimpeded >> spawn police
- Enemy fighters raiding systems >> spawn defense squadrons
- Enemy capitals raiding systems >> spawn defense fleets
- At random points in time, spawn random events and notify players
- Trading convoy
- Fighter attack
- Capital attack
- Target random military events towards areas with influence instability
- Players are rewarded with money or RPs for participating
- Significant reduction of background NPC spawns, both in terms of numbers and in terms of area
- Implementation of mining
- Implementation of random discoverable wrecks
- Implementation of random systems with rewards hidden in them
- Implementation of bounty hunter system
- Can both leverage player and NPC hunters, but only target players
Part III - Beyond
- Crafting system?
- Player bases?
- Modular ships?
Feedback is welcome as comments to this post or at THIS thread.
If you like what you see, and have been playing, please don't forget to tell your friends, your communities you frequent and social sites like REDDIT/Twitter about this mod. Player word of mouth goes a long way and we'd appreciate any of the support we can get for this mod of ours! Thanks everyone!