Warning for Desura users: you need to manually make a backup of patch.dat and patch.fat file in your Data_Win32 folder inside Far Cry 2 directory just to be safe. Mini-mod aiming to decrease costs for weapons and upgrades, increase damage, reduce recoil and reduce weapon degradation, while not taking away the immersion and realism already present in Far Cry 2.
DIRECT DOWNLOAD ONLY VERSION of the mod. Does not require Fortunes DLC, but does require FC2 to be updated to latest version. Fixes issues of crashing, as the patch.dat and patch.fat files for Steam were different to the retail version. Special thanks to A-Suicidal for beta testing it for me!
******PLEASE NOTE: DIRECT DOWNLOAD ONLY VERSION OF THE MOD*******
1. Back-up Patch.fat and Patch.dat files in Far Cry 2\Data_Win32\ Directory to wherever is easiest/most practical for you
2. Extract and overwrite Patch.fat and Patch.dat files from Mod archive
3. Run the game
- Cheaper items from gun shops
- All weapons will have reduced costs (but not as much as 0.3 beta; all weapons were 5, 10 or 15 diamonds - I will now increase the maximum cost of weapons to 25, i.e. all weapons will be either 5, 10, 15, 20 or 25 diamonds)*1
- All manuals are now cheaper (in 0.3 beta all manuals were 2 diamonds and 5 diamonds each for the weapon and vehicle manuals respectively, but they will be increased to 3 diamonds for weapons and 8 diamonds for vehicles)
- All utilities are now cheaper - the utilities cost will remain unchanged from 0.3 beta, as I thought it was well balanced
- All manuals for weapons are now more effective
- Each weapon effectiveness manual increased;
- +50% damage for all weapons
- +50% accuracy for all weapons
- -60% recoil for all weapons
- -50% degradation for all weapons
- -35% unjam time for all weapons
- Vehicle manuals have been balanced (originally there was -50% for repair time and +50% health)*2
- -100% vehicle degradation level
- -35% repair time for all vehicles
- All shotguns have had their ranges and accuracy increased from vanilla Far Cry 2 by about 35-50% depending on the shotgun
- All weapon ammunition bandoliers are now more effective on hardcore and infamous (I thought the easy/normal difficulties had fair amounts of ammunition)
- Each weapon group has an extra 1 x magazine for hardcore and an extra 2 x magazine for infamous; grenades and cocktails remain unchanged for hardcore, but +1 of each in infamous. Also, grenade launchers and mortars (including M79), have extra bonuses, as does the dart rifle, which now carries roughly a 30% increase of darts in infamous)
- The camouflage suit is now twice as effective; it now provides a 100% bonus, rather than a 50%
- Jumping damage has been reduced; the maximum damage you can take while jumping has been cut down to 2/3 of the original level, while the minimum level of damage taken has been doubled
*1 - I have come to the decision after playing through until Act II and finding out that all weapons, upgrades, manuals and utilities can be bought for 532 diamonds. This is still pretty good, but in vanilla Far Cry 2, all weapons + weapons manuals came to a total of 666 diamonds. That is not including ammo upgrades, vehicle manuals or other utilities such as the weapon crates, health upgrades or camo suit. Also, this means you will not have heaps of spare diamonds and you can afford most of the weapons you want, if not all at around the 50-60% mark of the game, that is if you complete all the assassination missions and have collected a reasonable amount of diamonds - i.e. roughly 1/3 as this is easy to achieve when just doing missions, let alone if you actually bother going looking for them!
*2 - I thought the repair time for vehicles was too op with the manual, so I took it back a notch to be on the mark with the unjam time, as the -35% seemed a lot more realistic. The extra health/halving the degradation rates for the vehicles is designed to help balance this, while still making the overall effectiveness of the vehicle manuals positive.