Version 9.0 has been uploaded! It can be found at the Downloads page of this mod. It's still a WIP, so expect some issues.
Even though I wasn't planning to make a V8, it's easier than working with V7. Read below for more info.
Posted by Slayer_2 on May 25th, 2010
I was certain V5 was going to be the last version of my mod. Then it was V6, then V7, now I'm almost done V8, so I guess I really can't stay away from this game. First off, lets have a synopsis of what V8 does different than V7:
1) Weapons slots and ammo maximums are removed, they made modding the DLC far too difficult, and were generally unpopular features.
2) The needs system is getting a huge revamp, if it doesn't feel more... natural and realistic, then it will be dropped as well.
3) Some of what made V6 great will be back for V8. The mod will be even more realistic, it is essentially the Hardcore edition of V7. Weapon DPS can be up to 120 (on weapons like the USP .45) to 56 (for 5.56x45mm assault rifles).
4) Greenery will be back to torment the Fallout fanboys, thanks to a fix from Exvalid that gets rid of the stupid LOD's left behind by the burnt trees. Radiation will be left in the game, and made even more deadly, as I will remove Rad-X and Rad-Away, and a doctor visit will only get rid of 100 Rads. I may also add in "ghoulification", which will allow stronger characters to turn into ghouls at a higher level.
5) This time there will be DLC support, for CERTAIN. V7 made it nearly impossible with the weapon slots, and I'm far more motivated to spend my little modding time working on V8, as it is far more interesting and exciting than V7.
6) Various bugs and exploits have been fixed (such as the infinite skill book glitches).
7) The level cap is upped to 100, and leveling up is now slightly harder (it takes a bit more XP each time). Also, you can skip through the level-up screen without selecting a perk or using skill points. That way, us hardcore gamers can eventually perfect our characters.
8) Weapons and ammo are as close to the real thing as possible, there is even limited RH_Ironsights support for certain weapons.That means you'll be fighting with ACR's, M4A1's, AK-47's, RPG-7's, etc, instead of generic-named weapons such as "Missile Launcher", and the ever-so-incorrectly named "Chinese Assault Rifle". Ammunition includes the ever-so-famous .50 Caliber BMG round, the 7.62x39mm round, and the very common 5.56x45mm round.
9) Armor is being re-done, power armor is limited to the T51-b prototype, all the standard foot-soldiers now are equipped with military-style BDU's.
10) I am also working on adding in some air support to replace the Fat-Man and to add the sense of fighting with a larger group (the BoS). Currently, I have three things planned: Vertibird Gunship, an attack vertibird that uses an explosive 25mm minigun to mow down anyone standing in your way. Satcom Tactical Nuclear Strike, a bombardment called in with a targeting laser, that drops a satellite-fired ICBM on top of your target. And finally, Supply Crates that are air-dropped by an BoS vertibird. They contain several magazines of ammo, medical supplies and food.
This mod is NOT made with fanboys of Fallout in mind. There will be many drastic changes to suit how I think the game should be played. If you don't like green grass and the AK-47, I suggest that you stick with V7. As for a release date, very soon. I'm finishing up the weapons and armor. The environment is almost done, and V7 already laid down a framework for V8. Compatibility is also being tested with several mods. Till next time,