This full version contains all files you need to play the latest version of the Edain Mod. Please read the Readme before playing! The Readme contains...
The Edain Mod aims to take you deeper into Middle-Earth than ever before and turn the Battle for Middle-Earth II into a game worthy of Tolkien's books and Peter Jackson's movies. In our quest for lore accuracy, visual quality and deeper gameplay, we overhauled every aspect of the original game to craft a new and immersive Lord of the Rings experience.
While the One Ring has no lord but Sauron, there have always been those who sought to use its power for their own ends. In Edain, you no longer bring the Ring to your fortress to unlock just Sauron or Galadriel. Instead, you can give it directly to select heroes who will attempt to draw upon its powers, with varying consequences. Each faction has different Ring Heroes, allowing you to discover what could have been if Saruman the White had attained the One Ring, or if Denethor and Boromir had foolishly decided to use it as a weapon against the Enemy...
The fate of Middle-Earth has always been shaped by great heroes and villains, many of which never appeared in a Battle for Middle-Earth game before. Edain gives you the opportunity to stand in battle with new heroes like Thorin Oakenshield and his companions, Beregond and Imrahil or the sons of Elrond. Those with evil in their hearts may instead choose to share in the power of villains like Smaug or the Necromancer of Dol Guldur...
Furthermore, every existing hero has received new abilities and mechanics to more accurately represent his role in the books and movies. Aragorn, for instance, will start out as the ranger Strider and go from the defender of Helm's Deep to King Elessar of Gondor over the course of the game, gaining new abilities each time he takes a new step towards his destiny. Similiarly, Theoden will now accurately transform from a defeated pawn under Saruman's control to the heroic king who fought on the Pelennor fields.
Rohan and Lothlorien have been split from the Gondor and Rivendell factions to form new factions in their own right. The Rohirrim are a people of riders, evidenced by their powerful cavalry units, including the Royal Guard. Their infantry and archery are poor, but they can receive signifant aid from the inn by recruiting Elven archers and Druadan warriors. The Woodland Realm, on the other hand, lacks cavalry altogether. To compensate, they rely on unorthodox tactics such as stealth, speed and elven magic coupled with their formidable archers. They cannot easily expand their base, but all buildings are manned by archers to keep invaders at bay. Units like the animal empaths, who slow down enemy cavalry, and elven chanters, who support your army through their songs, provide veterans with exciting new strategies to master. Both factions also come with a completely unique set of spells, including powerful finishers like the Rohan spell, Last March of the Ents, which summons Treebeard and a host of Ents to your side.
All factions have been expanded with a large array of new units. Among them are the Gondor Citadel Guard, Lurtz's Uruk Scouts, Haldir's Galadhrim from the Battle for Helm's Deep and Orcs of Minas Morgul. All in all, Edain allows you to assemble your forces from a pool of twice as many units as before.
Furthermore, almost all existing units and heroes have received visual overhauls to eliminate issues like golden armor on Orcs and bring the visual style closer to the movies. For example, Aragorn will now wield the actual Anduril blade upon purchasing the respective spell instead of getting an exaggerated blue glow around his sword. Head to our gallery for more examples of the improvements we have made.
Follow your destiny... Middle-Earth awaits.
Patch 4.1.1 for the Demo of Version 4.0 has been published. You can download it directly through the launcher, just use the update function.
Click on the banner to download the Demo (you'll have to update it once after installing to get the current version 4.1.1):
If you have any problems, as usual, visit our Support-Forum!
This update is primarily a bugfix patch, eliminating many problems and reducing lag. We continue to fine-tune the gameplay mechanics of Edain 4.0 and the War of the Ring. Furthermore, the AI should now occupy outposts much more reliably and use a wider variety of structures. Among other things, this update brings you a reworked Thorin, new abilities for Sauron and a plethora of new sounds.
This update brings the following major changes:
- The Necromancer can now switch between his old shadow form and a new fire form. The shadow form remains focussed on support and ranged combat. In fire form, he burns all nearby enemies with his power, giving him a more aggressive playstyle - but also a more risky one, because he has to get closer to the enemy.
- We have added many new and unique soundsets, including new audio for Dain, Beorn, Gloin, Thorin Stonehelm and many more.
- The AI has been significantly improved and should occupy outposts more reliably as well as build a wider variety of structures.
- We added several new Palantir pictures for the units of Dol Amroth among users. Thanks to (Palland)raschi for his contributions.
- Statues have been reworked. They now reduce the price of heroes only up to a maximum of 30% for four statues and cost 150 resources. However, they also grant a stronger leadership bonus which persists for 30 seconds after a unit has left the radius of the statue. This should make their leadership much easier and more convenient to use.
- The Dwarven expedition camp has been reworked. You now have to combine elite infantry with pack horses to form an expedition instead of regular Guardians. In return, the expedition is no longer random and will always reward you with a group of veterans. However, the camp only spawns one group of horses every three minutes. This should eliminate the luck factor and ensure that veterans don't hit the field too early.
- The Dwarven tunnel system caused bugs, so we reverted it to the original mechanic. Tunnels now only house up to five units, and you can unload each of them individually.
- Kili and Fili have been improved with new abilities and are now always summoned at Thorin's level.
- Thorin Oakenshield has been redesigned and new gets his royal movie armor once he reaches rank ten.
Read more about the Dwarven faction in Edain 4.0:
The patch also contains the following balance changes:
* Melee damage increased to 440
* Doom blade: Area damage increased by 50%, effect chance increases by 15%, radius increased by 20%
* Flame Strike lasts 30% longer
* Tol-in-Gauroth rate of fire decreased by 50%
* Vampire form's Eternal Thirst: Damage increased by 50%
* Health in all forms increased to 6000, the One Ring increases Sauron's health to 7000
- Monsters are 20% more resistant to pikes and sentry towers
- All cavalry moves 12% faster
- Tower Guard: Damage reduced by 15%
- Mordor Orcs, Minas Morgul Orcs and Dol Guldur Orcs:
* Health and damage increased by 10%
* Recruitment speed increased by 10%
* Grant 50% more experience to the barracks upon recruitment
- Isengard Mines and Fires of Isengard: Now deal less damage, but decrease the armor of all buildings in the explosion for a time. The effect is stronger for buildings that are close to the center of the explosion.
- Devastation spell: Recharge time increased slightly
- The Shadow Lord and the Dark Marshall now deal 350 damage in their standard form
- Prices of all Nazgûl upgrades have been decreased by up to 33%
- Khamûl: Health increased to 5000
- Witch-king: Health increased to 6000
- Dwarven Beer now only restores 50% of target's maximum health
- Economy structures within the fortress now grant the same amount of resources as those on settlements
- Dwarven siege plans and elite equipment: Research cost increased to 750
- Dain Ironfoot: Cost increased to 2600, while Thorin Stoneholm now costs 1800 instead
- Erebor axethrowers are more vulnerable against cavalry and archers
- Khazad-Dûm veterans have been slightly weakened and their Death Wish grants less damage and decreases their armor more significantly
- Gimli's damage and health have been significantly increased
- Heroic units now replenish fallen units much slower
Highest Rated (76 agree) 10/10
You could think im exxagerating the value of this mod,but i can only tell you : try with your hands. Edain mod is without any doubt the best RTS based on the LotR series,and,but this is just my opinion,the best RTS overall. While being much more true to tolkien than any other EA's work,it combines great complexity with good-balance in an excellent way. But what,above all things,makes this mod stand out are the models of the units,heroes and buildings,just take a look to the gallery on the site…
Oct 19 2010, 2:42pm by TheMost
Lowest Rated (19 agree) 5/10
Mordor and other evil factions are overpowered including their heroes and ringheroes. Especially Lorien and Imladris are too weak and their ringheros are not powerful enough to be ringheroes (and Galadriel is far too weak to be Galadriel. Make it to be like in the Lone Wolf mod: two palantir and stronger powers, etc.)... All ringheroes should be as powerful as Sauron, because now it's not fair. Almost all good factions are underpowered. Ents should be better than trolls (except armoured ones), because…
Oct 17 2012, 7:38am by TheLapari