This mod based on Frank Herbert's epic Dune saga, features a struggle to control one planet - Dune, Arrakis, a barren desert wasteland which is valuable for one thing only - the spice melange. The spice has the universe addicted to it; it extends life, it allows for the Navigators of the the Spacing Guild to fold space, travel from one point in space to another without moving, it is the basis for the economy and trade of the known universe. The spice is created by Sand Worms, giant creatures that live their whole life in the sand. The mysterious Fremen worship the worms as Shai-Hulud, the Great Makers. Dune Wars is a total conversion of Civilization 4 : Beyond the Sword. Features include: + 9 playable factions + Spice and Harvesters + Massive sandworms roam the desert + Pay the guild to transport troops from your homeworld + Water, Offworld Trade, Unique Civ Abilities, Terraforming and more... Are you ready to become the sole ruler of Dune, and in turn, control the universe?
This is the latest full install version of Dune Wars.
Original Civfanatics release info here.
A new version of Dune Wars built using Better BUG AI as a base.
On top of this there are a collection of new Dune Wars features and changes:
Homeworld Reinforcements mechanic changes
- there is now an approved list of units for the Homeworld screen including combat units only - not spies and transports
- faction unique and controlled units - such as Sardaukar Legionaries, Trikes and Razzia Raiders can be recruited.
- increased refresh rate (this can be tuned by simply changing the parameters g_iSpawningChance and g_iUnitPoolSizeSpawningDivisor in the file MercenaryUtils.py)
- cosmetic improvements to HW screen - wider unit name column, elite units indicated with a star, better starfield graphics and planet graphic tweaks:
- better alerts in the main game screen:
Spice Monopoly Victory added
- You need to be controlling 85% of the total spice at all players' capitals plus over a fixed amount of spice scaled by map size (this level works out at 40 unit for Std Arrakis mapscript and 51 for Large Arrakis mapscript):
- this can be tuned by editing the numbers in the functions SpiceVictoryFixedAmount and SpiceVictoryGetPercentage in the file DuneWars.py
Other Gameplay Changes
+ Automated Factory and Automated Research Centre now require Thinking Machines state religion and Thinking Machines in the city.
+ Removed no nukes vote from Landsraad
+ Mentat Civic plus Sapho now gives +3 health/happiness rather than +25 (a classic case of change something for testing and forget to change it back)
+ Fixed bug with flag mouseover not displaying Alia's changed traits.
+ Fixed bug with Fremen Workers getting both Sandrider and Sandworker promos and therefore six moves in desert.
+ Dragonfly does not upgrade to Cielago anymore
+ Removed the limit of 7 World Wonders per city i.e. back to vanilla
+ Changed the global define MAX_TRADE_ROUTES from 6 back to the vanilla value of 8
+ Poorly Maintained promo (given to Botanical Testing Station Vulture Thopter and Quad) now has -60% City Attack and excludes/overwrites the Ixian promo
+ Great Convention civic no longer provides +2 happy with Barracks
+ Tleilaxu Zensufi Shrine no longer provides +1 gold per city with Zensufism
+ INITIAL_GOLD_PER_UNIT increased to 2 - this should make unit maintenance more of a concern
+ Laza Tigers changed as per Ahriman's suggestion to be Strength 3, +100% vs guardsmen and melee, targets weakest unit in stack (code imported from FFH2), no longer hidden nationality:
+ Better BUG AI base includes new AI developments such as improved Civic selection and better building evaluation.
+ Spice is now a terrain which means you can see borders and grids on it - also tweaked other terrain textures. (I have slight performance concerns about this)
+ Tweaked Worm texture and worm animation now cycles when fortified (i.e. after it eats a harvester)
+ Replaced some out of date gameplay hints
+ Changed some of the sillier diplomacy text (cup of tea, rose gardens, Kumbaya...)
This version is compatible with the latest Music Pack.
If you've not installed Dune Wars before you may need to do the following:
1. Find your existing directory My Documents/My Games/Beyond The Sword.
2. Underneath that, create a directory Dune Wars. Underneath that create a directory UserSettings (no space between "User" and "Settings")
So the directory My Documents/My Games/Beyond The Sword/Dune Wars/UserSettings needs to exist.
(The installer should do this I thought but it doesn't seem to be.)