This mod based on Frank Herbert's epic Dune saga, features a struggle to control one planet - Dune, Arrakis, a barren desert wasteland which is valuable for one thing only - the spice melange. The spice has the universe addicted to it; it extends life, it allows for the Navigators of the the Spacing Guild to fold space, travel from one point in space to another without moving, it is the basis for the economy and trade of the known universe. The spice is created by Sand Worms, giant creatures that live their whole life in the sand. The mysterious Fremen worship the worms as Shai-Hulud, the Great Makers. Dune Wars is a total conversion of Civilization 4 : Beyond the Sword. Features include: + 9 playable factions + Spice and Harvesters + Massive sandworms roam the desert + Pay the guild to transport troops from your homeworld + Water, Offworld Trade, Unique Civ Abilities, Terraforming and more... Are you ready to become the sole ruler of Dune, and in turn, control the universe?
This is the newest patch for Dune Wars. It was released a while back (January 8th 2010) to Civfanatics, but I am only just getting around to uploading here. The patch contains new terrain features, new gameplay features, balancing tweaks and bug fixes.
Merged previous small patches
* 22.214.171.124: release note
* 126.96.36.199: release note (by deliverator)
* 188.8.131.52: release note
* Main points to note from these patches:
+ New colony site selection algorithm. In several test games, this dramatically increased the total AI population, by like 30%.
+ Previously, to get commerce income from Spice, you would build a House Spice Corporation building and found a corporation. This is no longer needed; instead, each palace building automatically gives +3 commerce per Spice resource connected.
+ In the 184.108.40.206 patch, I added a capability for the AI to unload transports on land if there is any threat; but it frequently causes a hang, so this is removed from 1.7.1.
+ Bene Gesserit city conversion espionage mission seriously nerfed
* New graphics for rocket trooper, now with real rockets! (by deliverator)
* Changed tech prerequisite for Walker mech unit from Solid Fuel to Low Energy Vehicles; previously it was already obsoleted by the next mech unit.
* Reduced strength of Ixian Spider unit from 14 to 13
* Increased cost of Ixian Tarantula from 170 to 250
* Sayyadinas can now only give promotions to melee and guard units, and the promotions add a level. There is no cap but a unit which gets free promotions this way will take a long time to gain additional levels.
* Homeworld screen will no longer *add* a unit which would exceed a national limit. This is better but not perfect. If the unit is already in the homeworld list, then you build the maximum, you can still purchase the unit and exceed the national limit.
* Harkonnen slaves were not created properly upon capture since Fremen vehicle capture feature was introduced.
* Mentats built by the human player were giving a military benefit regardless of their actual specialty.
* Reduced Fremen Raider UU to strength 10, moved to Desert Industry, renamed to Razzia Raider.
* Reduced Roller to strength 9, raised withdraw chance to 25%.
* Siege units now get the Home Ground promotion when they start a turn inside their own cultural borders (AHR94).
Minor gameplay changes
* Changed Holy War victory to only require 40% of land instead of 50%, and changed Religious victory to only require 70% of religious influence. Otherwise both of these are too close to a full conquest victory.
* Arrakis mapscript now rejects start locations which are very close or very far from the (central) polar region
* Open water terraforming feature did not allow improvements or cities to be built.
* In cases such as scenario maps, previously each time the map is loaded more rock features were added. Now, if any such features exist, no more will be placed.
* Enabled founding cities on salt flat terrain. It is usually a bad idea; but there could be excellent terrain around it.
* Reduced hammer bonus of deep mine and core mine. Previously a core mine on stravidium gave 14 hammers! Now it gives 10.
* Moved Mushtamel / Sculptor's Garden building to Adaptive Agriculture instead of Water Transportation; seems too early in tech tree to grant +2 health
* Ixian Skunkworks building used to give -50% upgrade cost to a human player (by design) and something like -95% for the AI (due to a bug); both human and AI should now get only -25%
* Automated factory/research center now give +40% hammers/beakers respectively, instead of 25%, and removed leftover entry for having access to power
* If a tech was researched by a civ that could not found the corresponding religion, the religion would be granted to a random civ; now the religion stays available until an appropriate civ researches the tech.
* Corrected about eight techs which belonged to the wrong era, based on their X position in the tech chooser. This incorrectly allowed early access to advanced units in the homeworld screen.
* Replaced Earth historian names with Dunish ones in the "Top Civilizations" popup