This release features some awesome new explosion animations, new one-liners for Duke, new alt-fire modes, new maps, bug fixes, rebalancing, and more.
Here is the official chjangelog for version 1.40 Note that some changes are not listed.
- Added a new WoA map "Tower" by Dani Swanson (it is actually an old DM map). This lengthens the War of Attrition mode.
- Added new hi-res explosions by Muelsa. These are used for nukes and other especially powerful blasts.
- Added 17 new Duke sounds for weapon pickups and death taunts
- Added Radiation Blast alt-fire to the shrinker gun. It is an area effect attack that does damage over time (like poison). It works on all enemies, but they are able to move and attack while taking damage. Nukes also cause radiation damage to victims near ground zero.
- Added Burst alt-fire to pistol, which is acquired as the first pistol upgrade. Burst rapidly fires the entire clip, and can only be used when the clip is full. Also, the pistol now has the normal firing rate even at level 0 (it was annoying that it fired at a slow rate when starting out, making it hard to upgrade).
- The HoloDuke bot now spawns some distance in front of you, instead of right on you. This makes it MUCH m ore useful, because you can send it ahead into a dangerous area without exposing yourself. Your bot will no longer use the expander/cloner, it will use the new radiation blast instead (for balance reasons).
- Fixed quite a few bugs, mostly small ones -- I didn't write them down and I don't remember what they were now.
- Swaped in some different, more suitable maps in the random missions episodes. There were about four added and four taken out. The main goal is to have a selection of maps that is more action oriented without too many searches for hidden buttons and cracks (Duke mappers love to hide things).
- Steroids and steroid upgrades have been nerfed. The rate of health regen from steriods has been cut in half, the damage bonus progresses more slowly as steroids are upgraded, and damage reduction while on steroids is capped at 80% instead of 90% (you need very high level steroids to achieve that).
- Changed weapon stun so that it is less abusable at higher levels, especially against tougher monsters. Also, bleeding wounds do not stun at all now (something I tried to fix before, and succeeded this time).
- Karate kicks have a slightly faster start up.
- Nerfed the HoloDuke bot's damage bonus and damage reduction from upgrades.
- It should now be impossible for the player to get killed during death rage.
- Slightly improved autosave.
- Reduced freezer shots per ammo pickup from 25 to 20.
- The upgraded shrinker no longer has a blast radius that causes damage. Therefore, I was able to remove the code that made all mirrors indestructible. On the down side, it is now possible (as in the regular game) to get stuck at a mirror puzzle if you blow up the mirror with an explosive.
- Difficulty progression has been tweaked with the aim of making it a bit more challenging, but still fair. This is mainly due to the player now getting points for picking up items, instead of only for killing monsters. Since difficulty ramps up as the player's score increases, that means that picking up weapons and stuff will contribute to making the monsters harder. Another new factor is that the player will lose points if he takes damage while at less than 50% of full health. Losing points slows down difficulty progression.