Discovery mod is a full-scale expansion pack for Freelancer focused on continuing the story started in the vanilla campaign. The mod is used by some of the busiest multiplayer Freelancer servers and has multiplayer features including player owned (and built) bases, jumpdrives, cloaking devices and equipment manufacturing.
Version 4.84 contains more changes than any previous Discovery version. Almost half a hundred original ship models were created for the mod by our community members. Many more faction systems received long-awaited updates, and 5 new systems were introduced. With numerous new weapons for fighters and capital ships, it became much easier to create versatile and balanced setup for any ship you like. More equipment types were introduced, including new scanners, thrusters, and countermeasure droppers. In addition to that, many profitable and dangerous trade routes were added, involving both new and original commodities. Top-level NPCs became more challenging than before. History of Discovery continues: while Kusari onslaught into Bretonia has been stopped, fierce fighting in Tau systems still continues. The Wild are building a Nomad gate in Omega, its destination yet unknown. Rheinland accuses Liberty of illegal experiments with Nomads in the Alaska system.
- Download Discovery484.zip.flmod and save it anywhere on your PC.
- Install Freelancer Mod Manager (FLMM) v1.31 if you haven't already - you can download FLMM from this page, Useful Goodies section.
- Double-click Discovery484.zip.flmod and wait until it unpacks. If .flmod extension is not identified, choose FLMM manually to open the file.
- After unpacking is complete, select Discovery 4.84 in FLMM mod browser, press "Activate", and choose setup options you prefer (it's safe to leave default values).
- Launch Freelancer and enjoy playing in single or multi-player mode!
New in Discovery Freelancer 4.84
- 45 new ships:
Arwing Light Fighter by Ryuujin
Barghest (Pirate Bomber) by Angel of Mercy
Border Worlds Transport by Mohr
Bounty Hunter Battlecruiser by Mancer
Bounty Hunter Bomber by Mohr
Bretonia Royal Liner by Doom
Bumblebee (Kusari Transport) by Doom
Challenger (Bretonia Bomber) by Angel of Mercy
Civilian Bomber by I m rdy
Corsair Cruiser by Angel of Mercy
Corsair Dreadnought by Angel of Mercy and Mohr
Dragon Battleship by Angel of Mercy
Dragon Bomber by Mohr
Dragon Cruiser by Angel of Mercy
Dragon Gunboat by Angel of Mercy
Falcata (Outcast Bomber) by Legeonation
FireFly by Godzero
GMG Miner by Doom
Havoc Mk II Bomber by Legeonation
Heavy Tanker by Mohr
IMG Gunboat by Doom
Kusari Bomber by Mohr
Kusari Transport by Angel of Mercy
Lane Hacker Gunship by dude42
Loki (Hessian Light Fighter) by Angel of Mercy
Mammoth (Liberty Transport) by Doom
Nomad Light Fighter
Nomad Very Heavy Fighter (limited access) by Treewyrm
Nomad Bomber (limited access) by Treewyrm
Odin (Hessian Heavy Fighter) by Angel of Mercy
Orca (Bounty Hunter Gunboat) by Angel of Mercy
Outcast Battleship by Epyon the Bored, Mohr, and Angel of Mercy
Percheron (Bretonia Transport) by Doom
Pirate Train by Mohr
Pirate Transport by Doom
Praetorian (Corsair Bomber) by Angel of Mercy
Rogue Gunboat by Doom
Scorpion Gunboat by TFK-Killermatrix
Thor (Hessian Bomber) by Angel of Mercy
Thor Mk II (admin ship) by Angel of Mercy
Viper Mk II by Nightstalker
Virage Very Heavy Fighter by Legeonation
Waran (Border Worlds Bomber) by RimShot
Zoner Destroyer by Angel of Mercy
- 5 new systems:
Omicron Eta (Edge World system controlled by Outcasts and Corsairs)
Omicron Iota (Nomad system)
Omicron-99 (Nomad system)
Omega-58 (Edge Worlds system controlled by The Wild)
Bastille Prison System
- 5 updated systems:
Baffin (Zoners system) by Denelo.
Londonderry (Mollys system) by Sawtyss
Puerto Rico (Junkers system) by Commodore
Sigma-59 (GMG system) by Commodore
Tau-44 (IMG system) by Denelo
- 19 new stations in different systems, and one new dockable planet. More stations have ship dealers.
- Extensive ship balance changes.
- Cargo jettison hardpoints added for all new ships.
- Countermeasure slots added for most transport ships.
- Components of Vanilla VHF ships became less vulnerable.
- Repair ship can hold 4000 nanobots and batteries now.
- Many hitboxes for large ships updated.
- Prices of all battleships increased by 100 million, all cruisers by 20 million.
- Battleship License items added for sale.
- High-level NPCs are now tougher; low-level NPCs slightly downgraded.
- 12 new capital ship turrets added. More forward cannon types added.
- All capital ship weaponry rebalanced.
- High-level fighter weaponry rebalanced; more weapons added, including Nomad weapons.
- 4 new codenames added, along with new wrecks. Sound effects for many codenames changed.
- Supernova torpedo added to replace Nova; Nova remains an anti-capital energy weapon with extremely high energy capacity and very low refire rate.
- Bombers are now the only ships capable of firing Nova or Supernova.
- Maximum missile velocity is now higher.
- Cost of all ammo types significantly reduced.
- 2 new countermeasure droppers, 2 new thrusters, 4 new scanners added.
- Price of all IDs reduced 10-15 times, except for Neutral ID and Xeno ID.
- 5 new IDs added, including Miner ID, and Smuggler ID.
- Freelancer ID is now eligible above level 40. Civilian ID replaced the former Freelancer ID for starting players.
- 3 new commodities: Counterfeit Software (contraband), Plutonium, Slaves (contraband).
- Many trade routes rebalanced. Smuggling became more profitable.
- History of Sirius commodity available from major planets.
- Certain mineable asteroids fields are now easier to mine.
- Shields for transports and freighters separated in different classes. Freighters can no longer mount transport shields.
- Names of two Unknown systems changed.
- flconfigdatabase.txt file by Louva Deus added (helps in solving problems for certain video cards).
- New admin notifications added: notifications will now specify which rule was violated.
- The History of Discovery continues: added news about the war between Bretonia and Kusari, the Liberty Conspiracy, The Wild, and more.
- Many more changes and additions. Multiple bugs fixed, infocard errors corrected, balance issues resolved.
- Shortcuts for quick connection to Discovery Freelancer RP 24/7 and PvP 24/7 included.
- Many more changes and additions. See the Readme.txt file in the mod package for details.
Before you Start
1) When turning Open SP on, make sure that you have a backup of Freelancer\DLLS\BIN\content.dll file. Freelancer Mod Manager (FLMM) will delete this file during mod deactivation, and you'll need to restore it manually. If Open SP is not enabled, content.dll will not be deleted.
2) It is not recommended to install any other mods or patches prior to and after Discovery activation. 1.1 official patch is included into the mod.
3) If Discovery won't activate properly in FLMM, your Freelancer installation is most probably corrupt. Reinstall Freelancer, and FLMM, if necessary.
4) Do not forget to transfer scanners, ID items, and armor upgrades each time when you buy a new ship. These items are displayed in 'Internal Equipment' section of ship inventory.
5) ID items present in Discovery are not used only for role-playing. They also act as tractor beams. Freelancer IDs are available for purchase from every base (500 credits).
6) If your large ship gets stuck while undocking from certain space stations, try moving backward and strafing, use thruster, or log off and on again with your character.
7) If you are automatically kicked from multiplayer servers, either check your ship loadout for equipment that's no longer mountable on this ship, or stop cheating.
8) Never enable Open SP when playing online.
9) Make sure your cruise speed never exceeds 350 (Discovery limit). If it does, reinstall the mod, or you will be banned for speed modding in multiplayer. The speed limit might be higher than 350 due to FLMM error (1.4 beta in particular).
10) Refer to the Readme.txt file if you need help and more information.
See the Readme.txt for more detailed changelog, installation instructions, troubleshooting hints, information on mod options, credits, and thanks. Also, visit Discovery forums at Discoverygc.com and Discovery website at Discoveryfl.com.